Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be selecting neutral more often than not. I really dont think it is me
but an issue with the bike Does anyone have similar issues
Thanks
Len

·
Registered
692 Posts
You didn't say up or down shift or both. I was botching down shifts and catching neutrals from shifting a bit too fast. Moved the lever up a smidge and it was fixed. You might consider changing your lever position some. After making my adjustment...shifts perfectly!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mine was reluctant to go into neutral. Turns out there was some air in the clutch line. Bled and replaced with full synthetic fluid (the master is very close to the cat and exhaust, and gets HOT)- no issues since.

Dave

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
compared to my other bikes, the Multistrada has a longer shift-lever travel.
I have learned that you can't pussy foot this bike. You have to change gears like you mean it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I previously had similar problems so adjusted the lever which did make a difference but it still wasn't 100%. I personally think that the lever is too long so was considering a different lever or adjustable foot rests to move forward slightly. Then I changed my boots which are larger adventure type which have made a big difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every now and then when i kick it into second it actually is showing second on the display but it is actually in neutral :confused:

Not good

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also have this issue on my 2010 Touring. Clutch adjusted by the local dealer made no significant improvement. I also changed the position of the gear lever by moving it upwards as much as possible. That helped a bit but still very hard to find neutral. I'll try a new lever (from Palmer Products) soon. Will report back with the result.
Cheers
Qumm

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had similar issues - sometimes says it's in gear (1st or 2nd) but is actually in neutral (i.e at a stoplight). Also sometimes feels very hard to shift, while other times clicks very easily. I did change out my levers for a more adjustable type (pazzo with on the fly click positions), and that helped a bit, but still have issues at times.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I also have that odd false reading when it says it is in gear (1 or 2) and it really is in neutral (not too often though). More worryingly I also had the opposite a few times when it said it is in neutral and it was in gear. Since I had that experience I always hit the starter button with clutch in...
Cheers
Qumm

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I dropped off my bike today to get some work done and that's one of the things the dealer is checking on. I get false neutrals between 3rd/4th/5th gears all the time. I get them at least 5 to 6 times a ride. What's funny is when I try to find it between 1st and 2nd gears its a facking PITA... I don't care what anybody says the clutch on the MTS is a piss poor design for a $22K bike.

·
Registered
157 Posts
sounds to me like the shift linkage inside the alt cover is out of whack. where is pushes and catches on the selector drum. there is another post in here somewhere about this and where the adjustments are. pretty straightforward to do.

My .02c.... while you're in that side cover, if it interests you, put a light flywheel in there if you in the market for that kind of thing.. saves pulling it off again later.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think the clutch issues are related to the rear brake issues- both the brake master and the clutch slave cylinders are exposed to HIGH heat, being tucked in by the exhaust and cat. As I said earlier, my difficult-to-get-into-neutral improved dramatically once the clutch was bled and switched to full synthetic brake fluid. Also, the clutch fluid hasn't darkened nearly as much (when we bled it at 5000 miles it was VERY dark, in the last 4000 it has stayed pretty clear.

Someone on this board mentioned periodic hard-to-find neutral with the 1200, and simply cracked the bleed nipple at the clutch lever whenever they did- and always got an air bubble! That implies that air is getting sucked into the system somewhere, and the slave cylinder is the likely suspect. Probably an aftermarket is on the horizon...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I dropped off my bike today to get some work done and that's one of the things the dealer is checking on. I get false neutrals between 3rd/4th/5th gears all the time. I get them at least 5 to 6 times a ride. What's funny is when I try to find it between 1st and 2nd gears its a facking PITA... I don't care what anybody says the clutch on the MTS is a piss poor design for a $22K bike.
Sir,

What did the stealership say? I got mine last this week and its doing the same thing. False gear indication but its in neutrual scared the shit out of me. Surprised no one has crashed yet.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Sir,

What did the stealership say? I got mine last this week and its doing the same thing. False gear indication but its in neutrual scared the shit out of me. Surprised no one has crashed yet.
Mine has had an ongoing issue (since i bought it new a year ago), that occasionally (every five or six rides) the neutral light remains on after startup, and does not register any gear change.

The dealership is unable to solve it, although they have experienced it in test rides.

Most of the time, if i shut the bike off and restart it, the problem disappears.

I should probably remind them about it again.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just wonder why they havent had a fix for it yet? good thing I got the extended warrenty. i can only imagine if on a track or in the curvy roads if this were to happen to a rookie rider. Not going to be a good day.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Sir,

I'll try to remember to post up what they say once the bike is ready. I dropped it off on Saturday morning so it should be done sometime this week.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
sounds to me like the shift linkage inside the alt cover is out of whack. where is pushes and catches on the selector drum. there is another post in here somewhere about this and where the adjustments are. pretty straightforward to do.

My .02c.... while you're in that side cover, if it interests you, put a light flywheel in there if you in the market for that kind of thing.. saves pulling it off again later.
Off the suject a little but, Have you installed the lightened flywheel on the MTS? I'm interested in your opinion of the change it made to the bike?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
off the suject a little but, have you installed the lightened flywheel on the mts? I'm interested in your opinion of the change it made to the bike?
+1

1 - 19 of 19 Posts