Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum looking at purchasing a 1098 from a private sale. The seller said bike was dropped by previous owner "but has sliders" the damage can be seen in picture. It also looks like the gear shift lever was changed. Current mileage is 8,500. What are somethings I should be looking out for, or questions that should be asked? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Engine service history. Timing belt history and valve clearance check history. Valve check is due at 7500 miles. It's an expensive service and if it hasn't been done you'll need to have it done when you purchase the bike. Another good one that gets left out is tire wear and age. If the tread looks good check the rubber and the date code on the tires. Tires average $500-700 depending on your choice of tire and mounting and balance. The valve service is usually $1000-1500 depending if any of your valves need adjusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine service history. Timing belt history and valve clearance check history. Valve check is due at 7500 miles. It's an expensive service and if it hasn't been done you'll need to have it done when you purchase the bike. Another good one that gets left out is tire wear and age. If the tread looks good check the rubber and the date code on the tires. Tires average $500-700 depending on your choice of tire and mounting and balance. The valve service is usually $1000-1500 depending if any of your valves need adjusting.

Thanks for the reply. How concerned would you be about the drop/ scratched waterpump cover ?

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
426 Posts
It wasn't dropped. PO was going at speed when it went down. A drop would not scratch the water pump cover. Look for broken tabs on the rear seat. All of the screws should be present and have something to screw into. Also, look for scratches on the mirror, bar end as well.

Service history is important on this one. Follow @Secret Squirrel's advice...

Welcome to the forums though. Occasionally, a SF will pop up for sale here. I think there is still one active listing for a SF...it is super clean too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Also check that both steering stops on the frame head tube are intact, not busted off from a hard fall, etc..

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
We all have different thresholds on how clean something is. I'm a clean freak. The one negative about this bike is from the small picture that you have of the engine and lower parts of the bike. Everything is dirty and there are signs of corrosion. Cleanliness also often relates to proper maintenance. Even if it has a good maintenance history for crying out loud take an afternoon and detail the bike from top to bottom before you put it up for sale. The crash damage plus the unclean state of the bike would turn me away. Unless it's really cheap I'd pass. Or if you want a track bike the damage won't matter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We all have different thresholds on how clean something is. I'm a clean freak. The one negative about this bike is from the small picture that you have of the engine and lower parts of the bike. Everything is dirty and there are signs of corrosion. Cleanliness also often relates to proper maintenance. Even if it has a good maintenance history for crying out loud take an afternoon and detail the bike from top to bottom before you put it up for sale. The crash damage plus the unclean state of the bike would turn me away. Unless it's really cheap I'd pass. Or if you want a track bike the damage won't matter.

[/QUOTE
What would you consider to be cheap?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely wasn't dropped while stationary. As previously stated the bike was travelling and did go some distance on the pavement. The pics show the bike is dirty and not really looked after. It is my opinion that if someone can't keep a bike or car clean the odds are timely maintenance wasn't done. Why not start looking to buy a clean bike? These type of bikes are normally immaculate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definitely wasn't dropped while stationary. As previously stated the bike was travelling and did go some distance on the pavement. The pics show the bike is dirty and not really looked after. It is my opinion that if someone can't keep a bike or car clean the odds are timely maintenance wasn't done. Why not start looking to buy a clean bike? These type of bikes are normally immaculate.
I'm actually looking at two 2010 SF. This one is local lower mileage. The other is about a 8hr drive away looks amazing in pictures miliage is at 13.5k so it's right about due for the its next major service.

My thoughts on the one local are I think, I can get it for a steal given what I see as well as what you all can see in the pictures. As long as there is Nothing catastrophic I can save its life. The seller is asking 6.5k for the one that has been laid down.

·
Registered
136 Posts
6.5K for the one that went down?

Lowball opportunity at 5.5K?

You'll obviously have to spend a bit on parts to get it fully serviced, but you could even do the job yourself if you're up for a challenge.

Then you would be getting a lot of bike (and a lot of fun) for relatively very little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6.5K for the one that went down?

Lowball opportunity at 5.5K?

You'll obviously have to spend a bit on parts to get it fully serviced, but you could even do the job yourself if you're up for a challenge.

Then you would be getting a lot of bike (and a lot of fun) for relatively very little.
Yes 6.5 for the one that went down. If I can it for under 5.5k I'm thinking it would be a steal.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Not really a great deal at all. When you pay to get the bike serviced and purchase the parts that where damaged that will cost maybe $2500. That's not even counting all of the corroded parts and fasteners. If you can do the belts, valve check and shim the valves that changes everything a bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you considered a Hyper instead? I happen to have one for sale :)

·
Smut peddler
1,049 Posts
OP, listen to the reclusive tree rat. That bike is a project for a guy that wants to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. If you don't have the knowledge to tinker and resources to source cheap parts, you'll be unhappy in the long run. When a deal is called to good to be true, it's because it's too good to be true. A tipped over bike isn't a big deal. It happens. But that bike is owned by someone that really don't care all that much aboot it. There's a chance it will end up costing more than a well documented and clean one. You have to ask yourself if you want a project or a bike to enjoy. Only you can answer that.

Reactions: QTip

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The condition of the fasteners also indicate minimal care or salty roads and lack of cleaning.
i wouldn’t buy it, period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would agreed with what has been shared. These bikes require continual maintenance and deferred maintenance is a big red flag, especially for things as critical as the Desmo system.

If you are interested in a well-kept, fastidiously maintained, and no shady history, mine is for sale here.

Best,
Raza

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I would agreed with what has been shared. These bikes require continual maintenance and deferred maintenance is a big red flag, especially for things as critical as the Desmo system.

If you are interested in a well-kept, fastidiously maintained, and no shady history, mine is for sale here.

Best,
Raza
I'd be all over this if it was local...even though I have a motorcycle that I'm completely happy with.

Reactions: RazaSF

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

Best,
Raza
Now that’s a well cared for bike!

Reactions: RazaSF
1 - 20 of 48 Posts