Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a line on a very low miles, super clean, 2010 Multistrada S. He was asking my opinion of the suspension and the bike in general, but I really couldn't answer him.

He's 6' 6", 250lbs in gear.

What are the pro's and cons of this model year? Second hand price, etc..

He has a first gen 2005 Multistrada S that he keeps in Switzerland and rides around the Alps for 6-7 weeks each year.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Is that the model with the electronic Ohlin? If so, I owned one and loved it. Great suspension, vicious power. I think it's worth 8-10k. Sold mine for 9k a year ago.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love mine, I have 34k miles and no problems. Fantastic bike!! He's a big man, even if it has the Ohlins and associated SCU he will want to have it resprung.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 2010 hs 25,000 trouble free miles. I lowered it and went to the heavier springs ( I weigh 210) and it made a huge difference in handling. I also added the Ohlins semi-active chip- the bike is supple over small stuff but nicely firm at speed. Also highly recommend going to the 43 tooth rear sprocket, really picks up the low end response.

You should check if it has had all the recalls done, especially the coolant change as that can eat the cylinder heads if not done :-(. But if its been properly maintained it should be a quality ride for many years to come.

dave

·
Registered
883 Posts
I love mine, I have 34k miles and no problems. Fantastic bike!! He's a big man, even if it has the Ohlins and associated SCU he will want to have it resprung.
This, there is only one Ohlins rear spring on offer, standard was(is) .85Kn, the one i fitted was a 1.0Kn, made a huge difference to handling, also the SCU is a great addition, it stops the forks from diving under braking, i found the front spring rate ok for me at 80Kg, and even 2up its fine. Hey Chris, the main reason I've still got my 2010 multi is because the TTX Ohlins on those first models was very high quality, and is still better than anything else I've tried. Those early single spark 1198 engines are awesome, raw power after 4000revs, the fueling under 3000 is a little rough unless you know a really good Ducati tuner....i still love mine 72,000Ks later.

·
Registered
159 Posts
250 lbs on the 2010 requires the 1.0Kn rear spring from Ohlins. There can be no debate about this.

There is some debate about which generation Multi 1200 has the best suspension. I believe the Ohlins SCU upgrade on the 2010 S ends this debate.

Also some debate about which generation Multi 1200 has the best engine. I believe a decat and remap on the 2010 S ends this debate.

Disclaimer: 70,000 miles on my 2010 S with the above 3 mods has left me either informed or biased, your pick.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Last year (May) I bought my 2010 S touring with full Termi kit, top case and aftermarket screen for 10k. It had about 17k miles. All recalls and services up to date.
There are even more lucrative deals now. I let a friend ride mine and he's been looking with my help.

I love the bike.
Cons:
Low speed fueling is not good. The engine does not like to be below 3,200-3,500 rpm. Keep it above there and it's motoring bliss.

The rear brake is a known issue. I solved it by replacing the master with a '13 unit and installing a bleeder on the rear circuit of the ABS pump. Removal of the OE cat helps from what I've read. Mine didn't have it from the day I bought it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Last year (May) I bought my 2010 S touring with full Termi kit, top case and aftermarket screen for 10k. It had about 17k miles. All recalls and services up to date.

There are even more lucrative deals now. I let a friend ride mine and he's been looking with my help.

I love the bike.

Cons:

Low speed fueling is not good. The engine does not like to be below 3,200-3,500 rpm. Keep it above there and it's motoring bliss.

The rear brake is a known issue. I solved it by replacing the master with a '13 unit and installing a bleeder on the rear circuit of the ABS pump. Removal of the OE cat helps from what I've read. Mine didn't have it from the day I bought it.

Low Rev performance is typical Ducati, get used to it and learn to love it! I have owned many and the only model that is more "gentlemanly" at low revs is the DVT. The variable timing makes it smoother

·
Registered
407 Posts
The low rev response on mine improved immensely with the TuneBoy (the Cruise plus Tune install)-it includes a re-map for the stock airbox and exhaust. It has MUCH better low-RPM response than with the stock map. Combined with the larger rear sprocket, the low-end grunt is fantastic- all the benefits of DVT without the (expensive) technology. Several Ducati Techs who have ridden mine state that it has the best motor response on any LC Multi they've ridden. Plus that snarl up top >:)

Reactions: tyr

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The low rev response on mine improved immensely with the TuneBoy ... It has MUCH better low-RPM response than with the stock map. ...
+1. Now my bike has the most linear power of any I've owned. Low speed is no problem. I can practice figure 8's without touching the clutch, no bucking, backfiring, etc.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
10-12 Multi 1200's are the best. This new problematic DVT motor bit off more than it could chew. Suspension, motor, ergos, etc. Mine has a mere 20k trouble free but I have no doubt that with the way I ride it'll give me 3 times that. SCU, 42t rear, light wheels. The bike is the best in its class.

Reactions: Sco and DaveNZ

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Low Rev performance is typical Ducati, get used to it and learn to love it! I have owned many and the only model that is more "gentlemanly" at low revs is the DVT. The variable timing makes it smoother
If one can't learn to love it, obviously there are ways to get around it, some more expensive than others. I had one of the early '10s when they first came out, and the low end fueling was horrible, like a bucking bronco. It was to the point it took the fun out of riding it. I was fortunate in that it responded well to simply installing fatducs. Cost about $150 IIRC. When I traded bikes, I unplugged the fatducs from the '10 and plugged them into the '12. They work even better on the newer bike.

Reactions: complexCarlo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for the n00b question but what are the problems with the DVT motor? I'm thinking of adding a MTS to my garage but would honestly prefer to buy new rather than deal with unknown issues buying used. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Heat, turns your saddle into a hottubb and will fry your balls. Very noticeable dip in torque between 4-6k

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My 2010 hs 25,000 trouble free miles. I lowered it and went to the heavier springs ( I weigh 210) and it made a huge difference in handling. I also added the Ohlins semi-active chip- the bike is supple over small stuff but nicely firm at speed. Also highly recommend going to the 43 tooth rear sprocket, really picks up the low end response.

You should check if it has had all the recalls done, especially the coolant change as that can eat the cylinder heads if not done :-(. But if its been properly maintained it should be a quality ride for many years to come.

dave
Hey Doc, how much did you lower it by? And at both ends or just the front? Also do you have an "S" with Ohlins, if so where did you find a rear spring? A few yrs ago I scoured the earth looking for a heavier spring but I was unsuccessful. thx.

Heat, turns your saddle into a hottubb and will fry your balls. Very noticeable dip in torque between 4-6k

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Heat really? So they took the worst thing off the Pani and gave it to the Multi.

I thought they fixed the torque dip no?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had the fork and shock both shortened by the Ohlins service center in Dayton- it is an S that came with the full Ohlins TTX setup. It started an inch lower by using shorter spacers, but the heavier springs took back about half of that. I believe it was the 100n/m spring in the rear, the next heavier springs (can't remember the rate) in the forks.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Pikes Peak - and if just for its looks.

Not being Andrea Dovizioso, I am more than happy with the performance of this early model. Well beyond my true capabilities.

Small imperfections: rattly front fork, air in rear brake, Öhlins front leaky after 10,000 miles, not sufficiently annoying to overcome the magnificent engine roughness of this early version being still a real old fashioned Ducati and its phenominal smooth ride.

Not ready to change.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
2012 Pikes Peak - and if just for its looks.

Not being Andrea Dovizioso, I am more than happy with the performance of this early model. Well beyond my true capabilities.

Small imperfections: rattly front fork, air in rear brake, Öhlins front leaky after 10,000 miles, not sufficiently annoying to overcome the magnificent engine roughness of this early version being still a real old fashioned Ducati and its phenominal smooth ride.

Not ready to change.
Dude, f%&k [email protected][email protected]!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
This thread *finally* got me to reset my password! It got toasted or lost or something- what, a year or two ago? Happened to several boards.
Anyhoo-
I have a 2011 sport. The only difference between the sport and touring models was some carbon fiber- I think the CF looks way cooler, but that's just vanity.
The Ohlins are just wonderful. With the semi-automatic computer module, they are even better. Put some sticky (I had Pirelli GT's on there, now I have Micheline PR4 GT) tires on it and it rides amazingly well. Far better than I can utilize.

Earlier this week I rode from St. Louis to circumnavigate Lake Superior (2300 miles) and the bike performed flawlessly- even in torrential rain. I mean so damn much rain that it degloved my inspection sticker.

Low end performance isn't the most linear- this bike responds best when you are on the pipe. That said, it is manageable and no worse than many of my other bikes I've had. Cruising at 4K is ok, but it feels better at 5K.
The rear brake sucks. I spent about 3-4 hours bleeding it, removing the rear tire and caliper and doing the exhaustive hang-the-caliper-at-the-highest-point bleed and that seems to have taken care of it. It hasn't gone soft in 3000 miles and feels as good as it ever did. Front brakes work well- no issues there.
I'm not real fond of the seat, but if I weighed 175 lbs, it would be fine. I'm closer to 185, and a wool seat pad takes care of most my issues with discomfort after many hours in the saddle. I would like to have more seating positions as well- I don't like the saddle shaped seats on bikes nowadays.
The bike is taller than I would like as well (32" inseam), but not too bad. Once moving, it is very nimble and easy to balance.

No bike is perfect. The Multi has things I like and things I don't, but overall the stability of the frame, the suspension and the motor are a real winning combination for me. When I sell it, it will only be because I will look for a lighter bike. I'm reaching that stage of my life :surprise:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts