Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just found some news on the italian sites that the engine for the new multistrada is indeed from the 1198, but will be more progressive: codenamed "testastretta 11 gradi"... (means 11 degrees). Any guesses to what that refers to?

EDIT: also I am officially creating a party in opposition to that created by whippersnapper, in my declaration that the beak WILL be there... (you can see it in the movie for a split second ) :)
http://multistrada.ducati.com/

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Just found some news on the italian sites that the engine for the new multistrada is indeed from the 1198, but will be more progressive: codenamed "testastretta 11 gradi"... (means 11 degrees). Any guesses to what that refers to?

EDIT: also I am officially creating a party in opposition to that created by whippersnapper, in my declaration that the beak WILL be there... (you can see it in the movie for a split second ) :)
http://multistrada.ducati.com/
It's definitely there, I just hope it unbolts!

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what does the 11 degrees stand for do you think? something with timing so as to make engine smoother? A flatter torque curve which has an 11 degree angle? (I'm stretching here).

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
so what does the 11 degrees stand for do you think? something with timing so as to make engine smoother? A flatter torque curve which has an 11 degree angle? (I'm stretching here).
It might mean that the head is now narrower than the normal Testastretta.

The DesmoQuattro included valve angle is 40 degrees, and the Testa 25. Maybe they have compacted the head to where they don't need a camshaft any more. ;)

A SOHC 4-valve maybe?

j/k

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
maybe each pair of valves are set 11 degrees from the bore line. so the total included valve angle would be 22 degrees...........:think:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Or the engine is designed to be run at 11F optimal temperature (in a dramatic bid to dominate bike sales in the Artic) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Maybe its something they pulled out of thin air and it has no meaning. They just wanted to have something for forum members to speculate for the last week prior to unveiling......:D

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe its something they pulled out of thin air and it has no meaning. They just wanted to have something for forum members to speculate for the last week prior to unveiling......:D
well I would call that a big FAIL because no one is going to take the time they should be working to speculate over such an insignificant detail....

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Specs Leaked?

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Specs Leaked?

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2009/11/02/2010-ducati-multistrada-1200-specs-leaked/

Generally there is a gentleman’s agreement around these things, an embargo between a manufacturer and a media outlet, but Motorcycle.com has published a number of 2010 Multistrada 1200 specifications in a preview. Here’s the rundown of the one’s we think have credibility…

1.1199cc liquid-cooled V-Twin found in the 1198 Superbike. It’s called “Testastretta 11°” in referring to the valve angle in the new cylinder heads that are said to aid combustion efficiency. This was released in a Ducati UK press release.

2.150HP – Entirely credible, though most likely an at the crank number. Ducati wants this bike to be a class leader.

3.A new fuel-injection system is controlled by Ducati’s first-ever ride-by-wire throttle with better sub-3000-rpm fueling than the Superbike. – Entirely credible, we’ve heard the new bike is utterly controlled at walking speeds.

4.“sophisticated electronics package that allows the ignition and fuel maps to be switched at the touch of a button” – Again, switch on the fly mapping is credible. We’ll expect to see 90hp-100hp soft mode, and 150hp performance mode out of a 3-way ECU, similar to the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 set up.

5.“comprehensive instrumentation displaying for trip time, lap time, range to empty, and current and average fuel consumption” – Pretty much mandatory for a bike in this class, we’re looking at you KTM 990 Adventure… Yes, you without the fuel gauge.

6.“New cast aluminum component around the swingarm pivot area to join with Ducati’s traditional steel-trellis arrangement up front” – This would be entirely in keeping with Ducati’s revision of the frames across the line. Expect a similar update to the Hypermotard 1100.

7.“standard bike will be suspended by a Marzocchi fork and Sachs shock, both fully adjustable.” – Well in keeping with Ducati’s Multistrada history.

8.S Model with ABS and traction control – undoubtably.

9.S model with electronically adjustable Ohlins Suspension on fly, similar in concept to the ESA system on some BMWs. At first this seems unlikely, except similar technologies can be found on Ohlins non-motorcycle suspension.

10.“expect a dry weight somewhere around the 425-lb” – The current Multistrada 1100 weighs 432-lbs dry. This seems a stretch considering the extra plumbing involved with the liquid-cooled 1198 engine.

11.Expect a full range of accessories. We’re just throwing that in, because industry sources have reported that Ducati’s been extensively testing luggage and GPS systems.

12.“first shipment of Multi-12s to arrive at dealers in late Spring” – We’d bet on April-May, baring production delays.
One thing is clear in our communications with Ducati, regardless of the details, they intend the Mutlistrada 1200 to be a technological tour de force. A platform for demonstrating the real world application of innovation, as Honda has done with the VFR sport-tourer. We also have reason to believe that this bike has been extensively tested for reliability and durability to avoid first model year gremlins, right down to the sourcing of a “long life” chain.

Full details of the new Multistrada 1200 will be revealed on November 9, 2009 at the EICMA International Motorcycle Show in Milan. As interesting Ducati has hinted at “surprise models” that haven’t been in the recent rumour mill. We’ll give the Flying-D this, they know how to cause an internet stir.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I swipped this from another forum

I had to save the pic and host it some place else. The link was broken
You can see its going to be a great bike. 4v 1198, adjustable windshield, and much more.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I swipped this from another forum

I had to save the pic and host it some place else. The link was broken
You can see its going to be a great bike. 4v 1198, adjustable windshield, and much more.
As someone said here or somewhere else...It's good to know that the Multi will go offroad at least once before you blow the fork seals. :D

I also want to formally suggest that the nickname for this bike be "The Mantis"

Evil looking critter, ain't he?

·
Registered
156 Posts

:D

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
As someone said here or somewhere else...It's good to know that the Multi will go offroad at least once before you blow the fork seals. :D

I also want to formally suggest that the nickname for this bike be "The Mantis"

Evil looking critter, ain't he?
certainly an ugly looking front-end if I ever saw one... but I'm sure the bike will mean business...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts