Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 MTS has developed a gas leak. It seems to end up in the belly pan after running down the side of the motor. The dealer suggested a loose line but when the ignition is turned on I see no gas squirting out any where. I assume that would happen when the fuel pump pressures up the system. The bike leaks while sitting, so I suspect a swelled up fuel tank. Anyone else out there experience this? Bike has 6300 miles on it.

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have not seen this but I have not converted my bike to gas. I still use only petrol. The petrol we have down here is a liquid and not as gas.

:D
Only bagging out the seppos.

Get a new dealer. Leaking fuel of any type is hazardous.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the states we call it gas when in Australia it's petrol. Well, in the states we put ethanol in the petrol and it is known to cause major problems with plastic petrol tanks amongst other engine parts. I don't know if ethanol is added to the petrol in Australia, you would be fortunate if it is not. My suspicion is the ethanol is wreaking havoc with the plastic tank. The dealer told me they have had that problem with other Ducati models but never a Multistrada. My question, what's the difference? Plastic tanks are plastic tanks made from the same material, why would it affect one and not the other?
This whole thing is a bummer cause riding season has just started and now I have to transport my bike to the dealer to get diagnosed and hopefully fixed. How long will that take? Thank God I have some vintage iron (67 Marusho, 47 Indian Chief, 83 Goldwing) to ride while waiting for the dealer to fix the MTS.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I have not seen this but I have not converted my bike to gas. I still use only petrol. The petrol we have down here is a liquid and not as gas.
Let me know when you convert your motorcycle to run on petroleum. Petroleum more correctly in its natural state is crude oil. We here in the US of A use petroleum that's been refined into a fuel we like to call gasoline or gas for short :D Just kidding with you....Petrol, gas, gasoline it's all good as long as we get to burn (or is that explode) it :D

Have your dealer dig into it, loose line or swelled tank, doesn't matter it needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brought bike to the dealer and after the weekend I called to find out what they found. The petrol (gas) tank did swell up causing it to leak. It also cracked one of the cover panels that goes over the tank. So they have registered this with Ducati and are waiting to see if it will be covered under warranty. I was told that this was the first Multi that this had happened to that they know of. They have had quite a few other models with the same problem, but the Multistrada has been no problem until mine happened. A friend of mine has a KTM adventure and his tanks were replaced because of swelling. So now I am stuck without my daily rider. I am also concerned that if the tank is replaced, what would prevent this from happening again. I asked them that question and was told that they have been experimenting with some sort of coating on the inside of the tank that they have had good results from but over the long term they have no idea if it will last. I was told they have replaced some tanks multiple times on other models. Before the Multi I had a Guzzi Norge and it had a plastic tank that was temperamental to ethanol in the fuel. It swelled slightly and would get pimples on it that would come and go.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Brought bike to the dealer and after the weekend I called to find out what they found. The petrol (gas) tank did swell up causing it to leak. It also cracked one of the cover panels that goes over the tank. So they have registered this with Ducati and are waiting to see if it will be covered under warranty. I was told that this was the first Multi that this had happened to that they know of. They have had quite a few other models with the same problem, but the Multistrada has been no problem until mine happened. A friend of mine has a KTM adventure and his tanks were replaced because of swelling. So now I am stuck without my daily rider. I am also concerned that if the tank is replaced, what would prevent this from happening again. I asked them that question and was told that they have been experimenting with some sort of coating on the inside of the tank that they have had good results from but over the long term they have no idea if it will last. I was told they have replaced some tanks multiple times on other models. Before the Multi I had a Guzzi Norge and it had a plastic tank that was temperamental to ethanol in the fuel. It swelled slightly and would get pimples on it that would come and go.
Lemme guess....you still have your charcoal canister on your bike?

Also, what brand of fuel (to avoid the "gas" fun.....) are you using?

-SM

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
A poster on another forum also reported a tank leak on his 1200. His turned out to be a crack in the tank near one of the nuts that the tank cover bolts into. But when his dealer took everything apart, they found that someone at the factory had apparently tried to patch the tank, and it was the patch that failed. I figured it was the same guy that put all the red locktite on the cover mounting bolts. Unbelievable...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lemme guess....you still have your charcoal canister on your bike?

Also, what brand of fuel (to avoid the "gas" fun.....) are you using?

-SM
I do not have the canister on the bike. As far as brand of fuel, most of the time I use Mobil or Sunoco. Shouldn't make a difference as to fuel brand as all of it has ethanol in it, which is the source of the problem. This whole deal sucks cause the intention is to ride the bike, not have it sit in a shop, half taken apart, waiting for a part to come in.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I do not have the canister on the bike. As far as brand of fuel, most of the time I use Mobil or Sunoco. Shouldn't make a difference as to fuel brand as all of it has ethanol in it, which is the source of the problem. This whole deal sucks cause the intention is to ride the bike, not have it sit in a shop, half taken apart, waiting for a part to come in.
Your right in that all fuel of the same spec regaurdless of manufacturer is essentially the same for the end user, (minus additive packages). However, and I think what SM was getting at is, Not all fuel contains ethanol. This depends on your location and what spec you buy (how much ethanol is allowed in that spec). Fuel containing ethanol is a different specification. If you do some research for your state you may find it is not required to have ethanol, so then you just need to find a station that does not carry ethanol blended fuel. But be ready to pay a little more.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Correct, but fuels from different manufacturers have different additive packages, and one theory floating around out there is the additive Techron, found in Chevron and a few others, may help reduce the effects of ethanol on plastic tanks. Note that many folks swear by additives such as SeaFoam and StarTron as being able to ward off the swelling problem, so there might be something to this.

My point in all this? You may want to find out which manufacturer in your area carries fuel w/ Techron and try using it for a while. I've only put Chevron gas in my Guzzi (known to have tank swelling issues) and now my Ducati (gaining a tank-swelling reputation) and have never had an issue.

Just my 2 bananas.....

-SM

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I get a call last night from a friend. He goes on to tell me that he spoke with a fellow in Virginia, who has a 2010 multi. The dealer he uses told him that the only Multistrada's that have a problem with the gas tanks swelling up is the white ones. Well mine happens to be a white one. The dealer told him that Ducati did not want to cover the cost of the tank replacement and bitched and moaned and after 2 months they finally caved into the dealer pressure and sent out new tanks for the bikes in question.
Now seeing as though the tank has cover plastic all over it, I have to wonder what the difference might be between the tank for a white multi and a tank for a black or red multi.
Needless to say, i am going to call the dealer where my bike is sitting and discuss this problem and see how they are making out with dealing with Ducati.
If Ducati jerks the dealer around for 2 months or so on this then that would have a bad smell to it. I can only hope that Ducati stands behind there product and sends a replacement asap.

·
Registered
750 Posts
So I get a call last night from a friend. He goes on to tell me that he spoke with a fellow in Virginia, who has a 2010 multi. The dealer he uses told him that the only Multistrada's that have a problem with the gas tanks swelling up is the white ones. Well mine happens to be a white one. The dealer told him that Ducati did not want to cover the cost of the tank replacement and bitched and moaned and after 2 months they finally caved into the dealer pressure and sent out new tanks for the bikes in question.
Now seeing as though the tank has cover plastic all over it, I have to wonder what the difference might be between the tank for a white multi and a tank for a black or red multi.
Needless to say, i am going to call the dealer where my bike is sitting and discuss this problem and see how they are making out with dealing with Ducati.
If Ducati jerks the dealer around for 2 months or so on this then that would have a bad smell to it. I can only hope that Ducati stands behind there product and sends a replacement asap.
First, I think you'll get others chiming in that "this only happens on white ones" is total BS. :rolleyes:

Second, when my tank was replaced for the spun nut problem my dealer told me Ducati was replacing tanks for both swelling and spun nuts without pushback now due to the class action lawsuit against them (tank swelling on other models, but since our Multis seem to have the issue, they are being included). Do a Google search and you'll find tons of info on this, or just follow this link (Ducati Class Action Lawsuit | Motorcycle Defect Class Action Lawsuit | Girard Gibbs LLP). If your dealer is half decent, they'll get it taken care of without any drama.

-SM

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Much to my surprise, i called the dealer today and was told the bike was ready to go, new fuel tank installed along with the sending unit, plus the 7500 mile service. Hooked up my trailer and drove the 2 1/2 hours to pick her up. Got to say it feels nice to have the Multi back especially since I have been riding my 83 gold wing as a replacement for the Multi. Quite a difference in the power and handling. Also ended up getting a comfort seat, will find out Wednesday how much more comfortable it is, going to Americade and putting on about 300 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts