Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am a new Ducatista. I tried to do my belts on my bike and as you can read on the subject line, i failed. The mechanic told me that he recommended I get another engine rather than over pay to rebuild the vertical head. Any recommendations on where to get an engine that wont cost me my other eye and other leg? I looked on ebay and no luck. searched the popular ducati sites and couldn't find an engine. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,477 Posts
Well, that sucks. Why is your mechanic recommending another engine? How bad was the damage? Usually when you break a belt it's just bent valves. Have you taken it apart to see the extent of the damage? What else was destroyed to warrant a whole new engine?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that sucks. Why is your mechanic recommending another engine? How bad was the damage? Usually when you break a belt it's just bent valves. Have you taken it apart to see the extent of the damage? What else was destroyed to warrant a whole new engine?
The mechanic was telling me that I fried the valves because it touched the piston and that there was some scarring on the piston. He gave me a whole list that would've been around 8grand USD. He recommended getting a new engine. But I kept thinking the same thing. Wouldn't it just be a new vertical head and presto?

·
9,477 Posts
Probably not even the head. Typically just the valves, guides and seals. Ask a different shop and get a second opinion.

·
9,477 Posts
I'd still take it for a second opinion. Do you have any independent shops that are proficient with Ducatis in your area? Maybe ask the regional DOC for a recommendation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea that sounds like a good idea. I'll look for one. I'm in so cal so I'm sure there are a few out here. Have you ever experienced something like this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oof that's rough man! I've been in similar situations in the past and its no fun for sure.

Not sure what we're looking at in most of those images but i might be able to help you out on cheap parts...

I have a bunch of valvetrain parts from multistradas (have complete internals minus shims and valves from a 2013 with 12k miles and complete heads from a 2011 with unknown miles that are missing the shims). Could probably spare a complete head minus shims with unknown miles if you need it but i would prefer to keep the casting.

Also have a 2013 piston/cylinder in good shape with 12k miles on it i'd be happy to get rid of. Let me know what you need, i'm happy to sell for considerably less than you'll see stuff on ebay for as i have no use for it at this point.

I would think bringing the head to a competent machine shop to have a basic valve job done (if you could get some straight valves) and you'd be good to go. Maybe a piston depending on damage but the piston is pretty easy to replace if you already have the head off.

Pulling the engine is a battle but it is doable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oof that's rough man! I've been in similar situations in the past and its no fun for sure.

Not sure what we're looking at in most of those images but i might be able to help you out on cheap parts...

I have a bunch of valvetrain parts from multistradas (have complete internals minus shims and valves from a 2013 with 12k miles and complete heads from a 2011 with unknown miles that are missing the shims). Could probably spare a complete head minus shims with unknown miles if you need it but i would prefer to keep the casting.

Also have a 2013 piston/cylinder in good shape with 12k miles on it i'd be happy to get rid of. Let me know what you need, i'm happy to sell for considerably less than you'll see stuff on ebay for as i have no use for it at this point.

I would think bringing the head to a competent machine shop to have a basic valve job done (if you could get some straight valves) and you'd be good to go. Maybe a piston depending on damage but the piston is pretty easy to replace if you already have the head off.

Pulling the engine is a battle but it is doable.
[/QUOTE
Thank you. Sounds good. So when doing the head you have to pull out the whole engine? Can you keep the same piston if it has some scarring?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To the OP....What exactly transpired to cause this unfortunate result?
Cheers
I did the belts and I guess the timing was slightly off and I was confident with my work so I started the engine and it started knocking so I turned it off. I called the nearest mechanic in Los Angeles and had it go there. They took it apart and basically told me I messed up the engine.

·
Sophomore Member
2,990 Posts
For future reference, prior to buttoning things up and starting, turn the motor over by hand once you have the belts back on. This will let you feel everything and any interferences will be made obvious without damage.

I get why the shops are saying buy a used motor. The amount of labor to do the top end on the vertical cylinder is the problem. If you wanted to do it yourself, totally. But if paying an hourly rate, the price difference between parts and a replacement motor will quickly be overcome by labor of build vs motor swap. I checked rubbersideup.com and didn’t see a head or motor at this time, but my memory is that a used head is typically about $500 while a used motor is $1500. I would imagine the used motor plus labor to swap will have you sitting around $3k.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For future reference, prior to buttoning things up and starting, turn the motor over by hand once you have the belts back on. This will let you feel everything and any interferences will be made obvious without damage.

I get why the shops are saying buy a used motor. The amount of labor to do the top end on the vertical cylinder is the problem. If you wanted to do it yourself, totally. But if paying an hourly rate, the price difference between parts and a replacement motor will quickly be overcome by labor of build vs motor swap. I checked rubbersideup.com and didn’t see a head or motor at this time, but my memory is that a used head is typically about $500 while a used motor is $1500. I would imagine the used motor plus labor to swap will have you sitting around $3k.
I looked for an engine on ebay but I couldn't find any. I saw several for 2014 and on but only 1 for 2010-2012. And that was in Ukraine. Is there any place you recommend looking for an engine?

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
If you take the head off, the shop can replace the valves and press in new valve seats. The cost will be nowhere near $8K. I thinks it's premature to write off the entire engine at this point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you take the head off, the shop can replace the valves and press in new valve seats. The cost will be nowhere near $8K. I thinks it's premature to write off the entire engine at this point.
Ok. So just to make sure I'm reading correctly. Take off the head. Get it machined and get the valves put in and seated?

·
Sophomore Member
2,990 Posts
I've always used rubbersideup.com or Gotham Cycles for used parts. Neither have what you are looking for right now. If you are comfortable with doing the disassembly/assembly, then by all means get your head fixed or even consider buying a used head. Ebay has them for around $300. Set the clearances, check for leaks, and then put it on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've always used rubbersideup.com or Gotham Cycles for used parts. Neither have what you are looking for right now. If you are comfortable with doing the disassembly/assembly, then by all means get your head fixed or even consider buying a used head. Ebay has them for around $300. Set the clearances, check for leaks, and then put it on.
Ok good info. As far as the cylinder, should I replace it? Would the scarring affect the performance drastically?

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
Ok. So just to make sure I'm reading correctly. Take off the head. Get it machined and get the valves put in and seated?
Yup. My ST3 had some wear of the exhaust guides. I took the heads off, brought them to the dealer, they pulled out the old guides and pressed in new ones. I didn't need new valves...but they lapped the existing ones for me and adjusted the valve clearances (figured, why not...it's only a few minutes work for them at that point). Then I put the heads back on. All told, the work and parts was definitely below $1,000.

·
Sophomore Member
2,990 Posts
The cylinder should be fine. I'd wait until I got the head off to make the call on the piston.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cylinder should be fine. I'd wait until I got the head off to make the call on the piston.
Ok awesome. Will do. You guys have been most helpful. I was freaking out yesterday after the guy at the shop told me that I either have a 8grand job or a 5 grand job. I don't mind pulling the head off but I'd rather leave the internals to someone more experienced. As far as the timing, should I assemble the engine and take it to a shop to put it back in time?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts