Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new hypermotard 796

check the new HM
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/ducati-hypermotard-796-smaller.html

This is a surprise for me. I never expected Ducati to do this. Maybe there is a market for HM without all of that nice torque that the 1100 has. They're just doing the same thing like the Monster.

My dream bike will be to have the HM redisign and put the 848 engine on it. I wish my HM had more top end. I'm tired of my friends saying that the 600cc jap bikes are faster than your 1100 cc ducati. They don't understand the difference of an air cooled 2v engine and a water cooled 4v engine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ducati Hypermotard 796 will offer a cheaper, less-intimidating alternative to the Hypermotard 1100.

Who the hell is intimidated by the current Hyper? :rolleyes:

Oh and your friends who don't understand the difference between a 600cc jap bike and a twin Duc are just plain stupid. Not even worth talking to or fighting about.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i was out for a run around the coast with two other hypers and a gs750 and the hypers blew the jap bike off the road so i dont know what your friends are talking about. Are they straight road racers maybe they should join the dregster team

·
Registered
255 Posts
Depends how much cheaper this alternative is, it would be a good fun replacement if the current one grows old... only 10hp less in the current engines, if they improve the torque with those HP revs it might actually be more fun for extra revs through the twisties, wonder if it would be much lighter?
Interesting marketing, I like it. :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think it is a good idea, but only if available in black. The other colors will definitely be too slow.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I think we should start several different threads about this bike in various different forums...

Oops. Never mind. Already been done.

·
Registered
215 Posts
check the new HM
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/ducati-hypermotard-796-smaller.html

This is a surprise for me. I never expected Ducati to do this. Maybe there is a market for HM without all of that nice torque that the 1100 has. They're just doing the same thing like the Monster.

My dream bike will be to have the HM redisign and put the 848 engine on it. I wish my HM had more top end. I'm tired of my friends saying that the 600cc jap bikes are faster than your 1100 cc ducati. They don't understand the difference of an air cooled 2v engine and a water cooled 4v engine.
Here is an actual pic of the 796. The article is in frenck but you cvan see the bike.http://www.moto-station.com/article6838-news-moto-2010-ducati-hypermotard-796.html

·
Registered
970 Posts
Here is an actual pic of the 796. The article is in frenck but you cvan see the bike.http://www.moto-station.com/article6838-news-moto-2010-ducati-hypermotard-796.html
I know for fact that is not what you think it is..

1. It will most likely not be a dual spark motor
2. We just received the first couple 2010 M696's and they have the new engine cases and the model shown clearly does not.
3. Dry clutch? doubtful
4. remote brake an clutch reservoirs?? doubtful

Until DNA shows us a picture all this talk is just that... talk.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I read on a few Italian and French press, it looks like it will be:

1- the same look as the current hypermotard with the same frame and plastics

2- the 2010 M696's engine "as is" (even if marketing calls it a 796 or whatever name, you know my Husky 610 is 577 or something cc)

3- and with cheaper suspension (shocks and forks)

Basically a less expensive and less intimidating entry level hypermotard for people who like the look and the riding position, but don't necessarily have the money or the experience to master the big one's full torque.

Now, if you want to play with photoshop, at least use the above...

·
Registered
215 Posts
They say right in that french article that it's not an actual picture.
where did you read that? They do mention that the official pics will be released soon.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
They should paint that bitch pink and put some crystal flash tassles on the bars............maybe a couple of white wicker baskets with a daisy attached instead of bags.

Out!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
where did you read that? They do mention that the official pics will be released soon.
I don't think we'll see any acual pictures before the Milano show in 1+ month. Anything you see is all photoshop like the above pictures where the bottom part are copied from the 696 monster and the upper from the current hypermotard. There are a few extra details like the new seat their are designing to be lower and more confortable.

The bottom line is that Ducati is becoming like KTM and others, they play lego to make many bikes reusing many parts. Ducati will may be reduced to two air cooled engines, and two liquid cooled engines, one small and one big in each category. Each of these motors get better every year. For now, air cooled are reserved for monster, hypermotard, multistrada/adventure, and sport classics. Liquid cooled are reserved foy streetfighter/cafe racers, and superbikes. Of course they also have the motogp with its own engine...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would imagine what they mean by less intimidating is less intimidating to your insurance rep.
I have ridden a 696, I loved it, but thought the engine was a bit puss for my taste. It surprised me being only 10 less HP. Its cool that they are doing it since the price point will likely be the same as the 696 monster. The 696 engine has a 6lb lighter engine case, wet clutch and slipper,all bonuses IMO.
Didn't the 2009 Monsters start getting a KYB front fork or was it a showa? I remember they made some changes to the front end that people claimed were to cheapen the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I would imagine what they mean by less intimidating is less intimidating to your insurance rep.
I have ridden a 696, I loved it, but thought the engine was a bit puss for my taste. It surprised me being only 10 less HP. Its cool that they are doing it since the price point will likely be the same as the 696 monster. The 696 engine has a 6lb lighter engine case, wet clutch and slipper,all bonuses IMO.
Didn't the 2009 Monsters start getting a KYB front fork or was it a showa? I remember they made some changes to the front end that people claimed were to cheapen the bike.
You are absolutely right, the 696 engine is very good, it would still produce a very fun Hypermotard, perhaps at the $10k price range ??? and boost the sales of the Hypermotards...

1 - 20 of 108 Posts