Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cored the exhaust on my Hypermotard 796

I didnt have to take off the exhaust or weld anything.

I used a rotozip to cut around the outlet pipe then used a dremil with a small cut off wheel to cut the outlet pipe from the inside out. That way when it falls off it will fall on the dremil and not down in the pipe.

Start cutting around the Edge of the outlet pipe

Use the Dremell with the cutting wheel to cut the pipe from the inside out

Remove the Pipe

Paint with Heat Black Paint

Here is a video of the finished exhaust. It has a much deeper sound and is not crazy loud. (Video still Processing so it should be up soon)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Cored Cans

Likewise cored my 1100 cans the same way initially. Rode the bike for a few weeks and hated the exhaust note, sounded like it had a leaky exhaust....
Ended up taking off the cans and cutting them open as per others in the forum. I removed the remainder of the outlet pipe, bent 40mm pipe to the same profile as the original 25mm outlet and welded the whole lot back together to as per original setup.
Result was deeper sound with better overall flow due to larger diameter outlet, without the leaky exhaust sound.

Can post pics if any one is interested. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Likewise cored my 1100 cans the same way initially. Rode the bike for a few weeks and hated the exhaust note, sounded like it had a leaky exhaust....
Ended up taking off the cans and cutting them open as per others in the forum. I removed the remainder of the outlet pipe, bent 40mm pipe to the same profile as the original 25mm outlet and welded the whole lot back together to as per original setup.
Result was deeper sound with better overall flow due to larger diameter outlet, without the leaky exhaust sound.

Can post pics if any one is interested. :D
Ya i would like to c pics. im planning on doing mine this summer.
thx

·
Registered
52 Posts
What did you decide to do with your cat? I just found a good deal on a 2-1 system. Was going to mod the cans and get an eliminator.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im waiting for a cat eliminator pipe to come out. If you find one let me know.

As far as a slip on im gonna go with the Werkes slip on that I saw in one of the Hyper Build Threads. I really like the look of it. Plus i really like the Price you can get them for $189 on ebay.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Im waiting for a cat eliminator pipe to come out. If you find one let me know.

As far as a slip on im gonna go with the Werkes slip on that I saw in one of the Hyper Build Threads. I really like the look of it. Plus i really like the Price you can get them for $189 on ebay.
Vapor

There is a Cat eliminator available from Arrow as I mentioned in another Post.
I bought it and installed it keeping my stock cans and mid pipe.
Fit was spot on. Looks great. Sounds louder and deeper.
Comes in three pieces . front cyl,rear cyl, short 2-1 collector with new small diagnostic hole plugs, Lambda plugs,( I reinstalled the sensors) 3 springs, New mount bolt and hi temp lube.

Install was fiarly easy. I did not have to remove the stock cans.

Have only a short ride logged. Will get it out as soon as am able.

No issues with ECU No fault messages

Im still not planning to buy a slip on anytime soon. Just wanted to dump the Cat.

P.S. Sorry H I know what I said but just couldn't Wait :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Cool Mike !...... you are one of the first to mod a 796. PLease let us know how it feels seat of the pants asap. I am ready to follow in your footsteps.

Take care.

H

H

No long term followup but....
Looks .... 10
Sound ...10
Feels like its breathing easier but still has some surging at low speed steady throttle. It does seem to smooth out sooner, 3k instead of 4k

This will only be fixed by options to modify the fuel map.

No regrets. :)

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
H

No long term followup but....
Looks .... 10
Sound ...10
Feels like its breathing easier but still has some surging at low speed steady throttle. It does seem to smooth out sooner, 3k instead of 4k

This will only be fixed by options to modify the fuel map.

No regrets. :)
Get some pics up Mike because that coffin of a cat' is a real eyesore on the 796.
Really wanna see what it looks like without that....

A little surging at low revs is normal for Ducs, (big V-twins), in comparison to Jap 4's.

...that's what gives Ducs their character...

Enjoy it, and let your right hand learn to deal with that amount of torque...

That's what a good twin is meant to feel like ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
796 Arrow 3 Piece Exhaust Manifold

BEFORE

[/IMG]

AFTER

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice!!!

Where did you order it from? How much was it? Let me know i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nice!!!

Where did you order it from? How much was it? Let me know i would really appreciate it.

http://www.desmotimes.com/

$ 466 free shipping
LT was very helpfull
Recieved less than 1 week after order

Only glitch was the web site only shows 1100 part # 71375MI
I had to make a note in the order comment box "Want 796 part # 71417MI"
I got the # from Arrow web site
1100/796 manifolds cost the same

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
That looks 100 times better with the cat removed and the fit looks spot on.
Arrow make some good stuff.
Big improvement, thanks for the pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts