Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any knowledge if the seats are being replaced under warranty?

Mine absorbs water and soaks my thighs when the outer cover appears dry. Of course this only happens after washing or getting rained on. First bike seat I ever have had this happen on. Does this happen on any other 1200 seats as well?

Saw the comfort seat may be warrantied from a post in another thread.

Looking for some confirmation as my warranty period is nearing it's end.

Thanks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

That's 2 from the U.K.

Curious as to the part # on the updated seat(s).

Wondering if the updated seat is the 2012 model? as I have read that the ergos are different from the 2010s?

How bout anyone in the U.S.? or elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
That's 2 from the U.K.

Curious as to the part # on the updated seat(s).

Wondering if the updated seat is the 2012 model? as I have read that the ergos are different from the 2010s?

How bout anyone in the U.S.? or elsewhere?
Yes, my DP Seats were replaced under warranty over a month ago. I didn't have to ask. My dealer contacted me to tell me of the replacements. Like yours, I looked like I'd pissed my pants every time the seat got even slightly wet! Water just went straight through the cover into the foam!

Haven't had an opportunity to properly test the new seats with water yet. Been rained on a couple of times while riding but I haven't left the bike out in the rain yet.

The ergos of the replacements I received are identical to the old ones. Impossible to tell the 2 sets of seats apart when put next to each other. I do think the foam in the replacement seats is a little bit harder than the original, but it may just be because the seats are new. They are certainly comfortable to ride long distances on. :)

Sorry, can't tell you a part number! My dealer simply took the old seats back and fitted the new ones when I dropped into the store one afternoon.

I should add that the replacement seats I got were definitely not 2012 versions. The riders seat still has the large pass-through grommets at the back which fits the tall pin of the early MTS models. I know the 2012 MTS models have a smaller seat pin and recessed holes under the seat.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Soggy Bottom Boys.

Yes, my DP Seats were replaced under warranty over a month ago. I didn't have to ask. My dealer contacted me to tell me of the replacements. Like yours, I looked like I'd pissed my pants every time the seat got even slightly wet! Water just went straight through the cover into the foam!

Haven't had an opportunity to properly test the new seats with water yet. Been rained on a couple of times while riding but I haven't left the bike out in the rain yet.

The ergos of the replacements I received are identical to the old ones. Impossible to tell the 2 sets of seats apart when put next to each other. I do think the foam in the replacement seats is a little bit harder than the original, but it may just be because the seats are new. They are certainly comfortable to ride long distances on. :)

Sorry, can't tell you a part number! My dealer simply took the old seats back and fitted the new ones when I dropped into the store one afternoon.

I should add that the replacement seats I got were definitely not 2012 versions. The riders seat still has the large pass-through grommets at the back which fits the tall pin of the early MTS models. I know the 2012 MTS models have a smaller seat pin and recessed holes under the seat.
Just spoke to the service department as my Multi is at the shop. Inquired about the DP seat warranty replacement as this is the first MC seat that I have had that absorbs water. Seems now through the re-read of the quoted post that Ducati (and your dealer) are aware of the soggy issue.

So Mark, I am aware of the climate in your locale. How are the new seats (anyone?) as far as liquid absorption? Any updates from your before-rebuild tour?

Furthermore, may give some hope if there is any feedback with newer model DP Comfort seats without the water absorption issue that I have been experiencing.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I asked this question of the dealer I bought the bike from. This is the reply from the national after sales manager:
I had this conversation with Ducati. The seat is not supposed to be 100% waterproof so it will require some dry out time to avoid this inconvenience. As the catalogue says the fabric used resists weathering but there is no waterproofness confirmation.
So I can't hose off my bike, use it in the rain or park it outside where it could get wet. :confused:

I haven't had a problem until recently where I have to park the bike in the rain. After this is wets my rear end and even after 2 days in the shed will still put about 1/2 a cup of water on my jeans.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I asked this question of the dealer I bought the bike from. This is the reply from the national after sales manager:

So I can't hose off my bike, use it in the rain or park it outside where it could get wet. :confused:

I haven't had a problem until recently where I have to park the bike in the rain. After this is wets my rear end and even after 2 days in the shed will still put about 1/2 a cup of water on my jeans.
Are you having problems with the original seats or the warranty replacements? I haven't noticed the warranty replacements soaking up water yet, but I still haven't been in a situation where the seats have been exposed to water for any length of time!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have the originals that i ordered with the bike. my quote is from the importer when i asked for these to be fixed or replaced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the originals that i ordered with the bike. my quote is from the importer when i asked for these to be fixed or replaced.
Well, Ducati UK have just replaced my Comfort seat under warranty. Pillion is still to be delivered. It looks exactly the same as the one that leaked, so I'll have to wait for the rains....don't worry, that will be soon. In the UK we've just had the wettest April-June on record!!! And July is set to be....yup...wet! ;-)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Just confirming that after a bit of emailing by the Australian distributor, my comfort seats will be replaced under warranty. I have the impression that I would have heard nothing if I had not asked and taken no for the first answer.

Interesting also is that the parts manager who phoned me about this said that there seemed to be many parts number changes suggesting that they have changed this seat maybe 4 or 5 times since I received my original one in October 2010. I seems I will get the latest version.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just confirming that after a bit of emailing by the Australian distributor, my comfort seats will be replaced under warranty. I have the impression that I would have heard nothing if I had not asked and taken no for the first answer.

Interesting also is that the parts manager who phoned me about this said that there seemed to be many parts number changes suggesting that they have changed this seat maybe 4 or 5 times since I received my original one in October 2010. I seems I will get the latest version.
Yes, same story for me in the UK Tim...I had to ask, and then had to wait for many months...I raised it in October last year, and received the riders seat about a week ago! Seriously.... The replacement looks exactly the same as the old one, so we will see, but talking to the Parts guy, he says that Ducati scrapped a whole shipment as they still leaked!

I guess the only way to find out, it to wash/wet the bike, and then see what happens...

I'm still waiting for my pillion seat and top box back pad....yes, they leak too... ;-)

And the centre stand...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts