Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just changed belts, checked valves on my 796. She will start up just fine, but will die if left to idle on it's own. If I keep the throttle cracked she will run and rev up like normal.

I quintuple checked the clearances to make sure I wasn't too tight on the openers. I checked the closers but did not adjust those as they were close to spec on the loose side.

The fuel in the tank is a few months old.

I did notice what looked like water coming from the stock exhaust skip joint but I am assuming that is because of the Cat converter.

I've had an issue similar to this years ago and it ended up being a small vacuum line had cracked. Back then the bike was hard to start and stay idling. I checked the vacuum lines and those look good.

Any help would be appreciated. Just paranoid at this point

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I just changed belts, checked valves on my 796. She will start up just fine, but will die if left to idle on it's own. If I keep the throttle cracked she will run and rev up like normal.

I quintuple checked the clearances to make sure I wasn't too tight on the openers. I checked the closers but did not adjust those as they were close to spec on the loose side.

The fuel in the tank is a few months old.

Any help would be appreciated. Just paranoid at this point

I would get that old fuel out and some fresh stuff in to start but it sounds like you need a TPS (throttle position sensor) reset

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get that old fuel out and some fresh stuff in to start but it sounds like you need a TPS (throttle position sensor) reset
I think you are right. So I went out this morning and tried it again. Ice cold she fires right up with a slight high idle. It ran for about a minute or more with a couple of idle fluctuations. It the settled into normal idle and from there is will slowly die out. I took the gas cap off to eliminate maybe the vent line being plugged/ pinched and it still died off. Once it is a little warm it will fire up then die off quick

Reactions: HyperJB

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well dropped it off today. I have no way to reset the TPS on my own. So we'll see.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also. Anyone know why this post only shows on Tapatalk and not on the site when viewed on a computer?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well for those that are interested the dealer called today. Said I had a vacuum leak at the airbox and my plugs were fouled. ( Plugs were on my list to change after I did belts and valve check anyway). They also are doing a settings reset, basically a TPS reset like what HyperJB mentioned. He said everything else looked good.

I'm betting the leak was on the large 3/4"-ish hose towards the rear of the airbox. The hose is just pressed on to a barbed nipple with no clamp. I didn't think to check that hose when I had the problems. I checked the smaller lines that run from the inlets to the pressure sensor and just assumed the large line was sealing. With the bike being almost 9 years old that hose probably isn't as flexible as it use to be so the seal was not being made.

I will confirm where the leak was when I pick her up, but I'm outta town for a while so I will update later.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well for those that are interested the dealer called today. Said I had a vacuum leak at the airbox and my plugs were fouled. ( Plugs were on my list to change after I did belts and valve check anyway). They also are doing a settings reset, basically a TPS reset like what HyperJB mentioned. He said everything else looked good.

I'm betting the leak was on the large 3/4"-ish hose towards the rear of the airbox. The hose is just pressed on to a barbed nipple with no clamp. I didn't think to check that hose when I had the problems. I checked the smaller lines that run from the inlets to the pressure sensor and just assumed the large line was sealing. With the bike being almost 9 years old that hose probably isn't as flexible as it use to be so the seal was not being made.

I will confirm where the leak was when I pick her up, but I'm outta town for a while so I will update later.

Glad they got it figured out for ya man!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts