Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These instructions are meant as a guide for how to remove and replace the lids for the OEM side cases for the 2010-2014 Mulitistrada 1200. These instructions are useful if you are interested in swapping the lid due to damage, or to change to a larger or smaller capacity lid. I also describe how to remove the painted trim piece from the lid for replacement.

While other instructions have been found on the web, they lack the detail needed to properly brace the cases, do not provide a list of appropriate tools, do not provide photos, and/or do not provide enough detail to feel confident about the procedure prior to trying it. As a result, I hope some may find this write-up helpful.

I developed this procedure by reading various thread posts on the internet. While I did not find complete information, I would like to thank those that contributed information.

Please understand that I am simply providing free information on how I successfully did this. There may be better or safer ways to do this and I will not be responsible for any damage or injury that following this procedure may cause anyone. I wish you a successful replacement!

The high level procedure:
1) Open case and detach lid retaining cables
2) Close and fully latch the case
3) Brace the case securely using the below methods.
4) Protect the case from damage with a towel
5) Remove the hinge pins
6) Remove and replace the lid and latch it as before
7) Re-Install hinge pins
8) Re-attach lid retaining cables
9) Removing the painted trim piece from the lid

Preparation and tools:
The best way I know to prevent damage to the cases as well as prevent injury is to use a workbench that is securely installed against a wall. Since this is typical in most garages and workshops, the procedure should be easy to duplicate.

Tools and Materials:
1) Safety Glasses
2) Bath size towel or a couple of smaller towels to protect finish of cases
3) A piece of 4x4 lumber used to brace case against wall stud
4) A piece of 2x4 lumber used to brace case against wall stud
5) A pin punch with a 3mm diameter tip
6) A pin punch with a 5mm diameter tip
7) A 3mm T-handle allen wrench. (only needed if your 3mm pin punch is less than 10cm long).
8) A Philips #1 screwdriver for the screws for the lid retaining cables
9) A hammer
10) A plastic pry tool, credit card, or similar

Photo of tools and workbench. Notice lumber placed against wall, which is located at a wall stud:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Step 1: Open case and detach lid retaining cables
- Place the case right side up on a towel, on the workbench. Give yourself enough towel surface so that when the lid is opened, it also rests on the towel.
- Unlock the case. Undo the center latch. Lift the carrying handle slightly. Then lock the case and remove the key. This will get the key out to prevent damage to the key and lock, while still allowing the carry handle to be used for easier handling of the case. Put the key in your pocket or where you won't misplace it.
- Open the case. Remove the 2 screws securing the retaining cables to the inside of the lid. Tuck the cables into the interior of the case just so that they will not interfere with closing the case later on. Do not fully remove the screws from the retaining cable mounts so you won't lose them. Be very careful not to open the lid more than 90 degrees or your will damage the case like I did (see photo below). This is not a big deal, but not desired.

Step 2: Close and fully latch the case
Be cautious of not closing the lid on the retaining cables you detached. Make sure the lid seats normally. Secure the center latch, then both side latches.

Step 3: Brace the case securely using the below methods.
-This step describes how to brace the case securely using the workbench and the wall, being careful to ensure you will be hammering against the studs in the wall. The front side and back sides of the saddlebag case need to be braced differently due to their shape, and so you can hammer the pin in a direction that is perpendicular to the wall. This helps ensure that the case stays in place while you are hammering the pins out. This is probably the most difficult aspect of the procedure to figure out if you haven't tried it before: A detail that I did not find when searching for how to do this myself.
-For removing the hinge pin that is closest to the rearof the motorcycle when cases are installed, the bracing against the wall is fairly straight forward. The case is placed on the workbench as shown in the below picture. The part of the case that secures to the rubber mount on the passenger footpeg is what needs to be secured against the wall at a wall stud. It is important to place that part of the case over a wall stud to prevent damage to the wall and provide a secure point to withstand the force of hammering. Be careful that items on your side of the wall as well as the other side of the wall are secure and will not fall during hammering. Ensure 2 points of contact with the wall before hammering. See below photo.

-For removing the hinge pin that is closest to the front of the motorcycle when cases are installed, the bracing against the wall is slightly different. Use the lumber as shown to account for the shape of the case, and to square the pin to the wall. Again: It is important to place the lumber and the part of the case shown over a wall stud to prevent damage to the wall and provide a secure point to withstand the force of hammering. Be careful that items on your side of the wall as well as the other side of the wall are secure and will not fall during hammering. Ensure 2 points of contact with the wall before hammering. See below photo.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step 4: Protect the case from damage with a towel
You will be hammering quite hard on the hinge pin, but a towel between the wall (and/or wood depending on which side pin you are extracting) should be enough to protect the case from damage.

Step 5: Remove the hinge pins
-You will need to completely remove each of the hinge pins. Do not remove the lid off of the case until the hinge pins are completely removed from the case. If you only move the hinge pin enough to remove the lid, and do not completely remove them, there will be no easy way of hammering them back into place from the other side.
-Start with the rear hinge pin. Your case should be properly braced against the wall as described in step 3. No lumber is needed for this side. The hinge pins should point perpendicular to the wall and in line with the wall stud.
-Check that your case is secure against the wall by pushing against it with your hands.
-Using the 3mm pin punch and hammer, tap the pin towards the wall. Start slow and gradually hammer harder until the pin moves. Continue to tap until your punch is almost fully extended into the hinge or the hinge pin is extracted (depending on the length of the punch you are using).
-If your punch is not long enough to fully extract and remove the hinge pin, use your 3mm T-handled allen wrench to continue to tap and remove the hinge pin. See Photos.

-Repeat the same hinge pin removal for the front hinge pin using the bracing method described in step 3, this time using the lumber. The hinge pin should point perpendicular to the wall and in line with the wall stud.
-Check that your case is secure against the wall by pushing against it with your hands.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 6: Remove and replace the lid and latch it as before
-Release all 3 latches. The lid should lift off freely. Set it aside somewhere where it will not be stepped on or otherwise damaged. Do not move the case since you will be using the same bracing method when you replace the lid.
-Replace the lid with your new/other one being cautious of ensuring the hinges align properly. Also, be cautious of not closing the lid on the retaining cables you detached. Make sure the lid seats normally. Secure the center latch, then both side latches. See photo:

Step 7: Re-Install hinge pins
-With your case still braced against the wall with the lumber, check that the case is secure against the wall by pushing against it with your hands.
-Re-install the front hinge pin. The smooth side of the pin goes in first and you will be tapping on the knurled side. Tap the pin lightly with the hammer until it requires more than light tapping force.

-Seat the pin until it is slightly recessed. See photo.

-Re-brace the case on the opposite side as previous, and repeat step 7 to re-install the rear hinge pin.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Step 8: Re-attach lid retaining cables
-Unlatch and open the case. Check for any alignment or operation issues. Be careful not to open the lid more than 90 degrees until you re-attach the lid retaining cables.
-Re-attach the lid retaining cables with the screws. Do not over-tighten as these are easily stripped, if they are not already stripped like mine.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Step 9: Removing the painted trim piece from the lid
- Place the case right side up on a towel, on the workbench. Give yourself enough towel surface so that when the lid is opened, it also rests on the towel.
- Using a plastic tool to gently pry, partially remove the top portion of the weather stripping. See Photos.

-Remove the 5 philips head screws. The painted trim piece should be easily removed. Be careful to not let it drop out and get damaged.

To Replace:
-Replace the trim piece with the 5 screws.
-Gently press the weather strip back into the groove. It should go in easily into it's original position and shape. If an area of the weather strip becomes unevenly compressed, remove and re-attempt installation.
-Avoid pulling the entire weather stripping out completely. This will make it much harder to get it back into it's original position.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This forum is so much different than others that I subscribe to. It is discouraging to spend so much time on a contribution like this, only to find that almost a week and 130 views later, no one even says "thank you". I recommend that we try to do a better job encouraging people to post valuable information if we are to expect them to spend time taking photos and writing instructions for the betterment of the community.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This forum is so much different than others that I subscribe to. It is discouraging to spend so much time on a contribution like this, only to find that almost a week and 130 views later, no one even says "thank you". I recommend that we try to do a better job encouraging people to post valuable information if we are to expect them to spend time taking photos and writing instructions for the betterment of the community.
That is a very well done tutorial. Someday it is going to help someone tremendously. You may have to wait awhile, you are catering to a very narrow audience.

t_bare

Reactions: ColoradoRider

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, I got my new side case cover installed and all went well. Followed gg's instructions but used my own bracing technique - sitting on the floor with the case between my legs! A new gasket was not included with my new cover so I reused the old one.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts