Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any know who to contact to find out how many were built? and where they went to? I just bought one from Chicago #17 and brought it to Canada Toronto....... I think it's the only one in the country.

·
Bon Vivant
11,310 Posts
Does any know who to contact to find out how many were built? and where they went to? I just bought one from Chicago #17 and brought it to Canada Toronto....... I think it's the only one in the country.
You might be right. I seem to recall (anecdotally) that there were only about 50 of those made for the world. As far as I know it is the rarest of all the R bikes. I would try to contact DucatiNA and see if they can give you any info.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hi mate. i can tell you that only 70 x 1198R's have been made by Ducati and only US versions received number plaque (which looks like you have).

i own 1198R and if it is not too cheeky can i please ask how much did you pay? they are never for sale and i just want to know where i should start if i decide to sell mine? in UK we only have 5

but at the moment i am just enjoying my small collection not planning to sell, but you never know! ...

Ducati SENNA mk1 - no69
Ducati 996R - no53
Ducati 999R mk1 - no008
Ducati 1098R TB - no132
Ducati 1198R - no number!
Ducati 1199S - daily runner

·
Registered
162 Posts
This just arrived at my second home in Central Oregon. Have never seen the bike since I am on assignment in Japan.
The previous owner poured a lot of extra money into it (Akra EVO, Microtec, rims,...).
I've been lusting after this bike for 5 years now, can't wait to see it/ride it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
This just arrived at my second home in Central Oregon. Have never seen the bike since I am on assignment in Japan.
The previous owner poured a lot of extra money into it (Akra EVO, Microtec, rims,...).
I've been lusting after this bike for 5 years now, can't wait to see it/ride it.
Always loved the Corse paint scheme... that is a beautiful bike.

·
Bon Vivant
11,310 Posts
This bike is the rarest of all of the 10-1198 R superbikes and destined to be the most sought after by collectors. - but only in 100% stock configuration. Unfortunately all of that aftermarket stuff hurts the value and desirability (for a serious collector). I hope you got all of the original parts with it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This bike is the rarest of all of the 10-1198 R superbikes and destined to be the most sought after by collectors. - but only in 100% stock configuration. Unfortunately all of that aftermarket stuff hurts the value and desirability (for a serious collector). I hope you got all of the original parts with it.
I did not, but it was reflected in the price. To be honest, I do not care too much. Once I get back to the US this might become my 'go to' bike and I may put some miles on it. I'm at a point in my life now where I want to start enjoying some of my toys.
Love my MV F4312R, 998 Final Edition,...this bike will get quite some competition within its own garage and since I only have 1 butt....:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did not, but it was reflected in the price. To be honest, I do not care too much. Once I get back to the US this might become my 'go to' bike and I may put some miles on it. I'm at a point in my life now where I want to start enjoying some of my toys.
Love my MV F4312R, 998 Final Edition,...this bike will get quite some competition within its own garage and since I only have 1 butt....
I wish I had that mentality and as I approach 40 it?s starting to get there! I have always ?saved? my vehicles only to sell them and the next owner used them as I intended. If I had that 1198R with so few made it would be very hard to ride it much. It will be a serious collector one day but we will probably all be gone at that point! Lol. I?d love to find a 998 FE one day though!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I realize the topic of whether to ride a rare bike or not has been debated to death but...
I applaud you for planning on riding this fine specimen. No matter how rare, in my opinion a performance vehicle that isn't used in the manner in which it was built and is capable is a meaningless vehicle that may as well not exist. Even 250 GTOs are thrashed hard at the Goodwood meetings after all...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I however did get all the original parts in the box bubble wrapped and I plan on putting on a bit of miles but not much that?s the thing I love most of having a few bike to choose from and a couple dailys as well..

·
Bon Vivant
11,310 Posts
The thing about ultra rare bikes that are desirable to the masses (that last part is the important part, I once had a bike that was 1 of 3 - nobody gave a shit so it had no value) is that there will always be a few that bite the dust or are not understood in the beginning and treated like common goods, that brings the numbers of real collectables down and drives the value up. Those of you who would treat exotica as ordinary have no sense of history or importance. Collectors of such think of themselves as curators of significant pieces of the past.

Real collectors will want this bike and I'm sure that some are already in a collection or 2. I'm not saying these bikes should never be ridden but reverence and care is prudent. To commute on one of these bikes or use it for transportation is neither mindful nor using it as it was intended.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
..Those of you who would treat exotica as ordinary have no sense of history or importance. Collectors of such think of themselves as curators of significant pieces of the past. ...To commute on one of these bikes or use it for transportation is neither mindful nor using it as it was intended.
Lots to chew on above. And a part of me agrees - the rational side, thinking about bank accounts, investments, my son's inheritance, what should be preserved as evidence of a time, culture or civilization. hell, just garage bling bragging rights... no prob.

But it's also very arguable from a position of the heart that brought most of us, if not all of us, to motorcycling in the first place. the reason engines were strapped into frames over a hundred years ago and evolved by makers such as what live in the heart of Ducati - motorheads who love to ride. Not to be pinned, dried and stashed in museum back rooms like rare butterflies!

As one who saw a handful of new 916 Sennas rotting in a backwater showroom in Asia, and witnessed the original '98 Art of the Motorcycle exhibit at the Guggenheim, got the t-shirt, literally, I do appreciate that people stuff rare, low miles Ducatis into collections. My zen and motorcyclist side says everyone and everything come to dust. Don't fixate on the temporal. Enjoy your life of the senses. Ride the bikes hard, as they were intended.

Reactions: Dutch848

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couldn?t agree more
My collection
2004 999R Fila ....570km
2008 1098R unregistered ....700km
2010 1198R corse ....352km
1966 Monza jr 160 .....40mi
2011 1198s corse theamed beast 390lb full of gas 7000km and growing daily
2014 bmw hp4 10000km daily

And I intend to ride all little by little except the Monza jr the R?s are in the living room that has garage access to backyard all are ready to ride at my leisure except the Monza jr that?s in the 2nd floor tv room

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like the different perspectives and the maturity of some of the answers around here.

As for my bikes, it is not my objective to be a custodian for future generations.
I have no kids, and any Federal or local government where my job brings me robs me blind, so I rather enjoy some of the assets which I am allowed to keep for myself.
I love my bikes, give them absolutely the best care and maintenance, BUT I WILL RIDE them.

If I want return on investment, I will look at different investment vehicles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts