Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing research on oil coolers, and word is that the 1100SP Oil cooler is a good deal larger capacity than the 1100S version. Does anyone know if this is true, and if the SP cooler will mount directly onto my 1100S? I'm in SoCal and the hyper is solely a track bike, last weekend was 105ºF and after maybe 3 hot laps the bike was getting into the high 260ºs. The SC project coolers are pretty expensive, I'm trying to weigh out my options!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've got an sp....I've had an s and an evo..think they're all the same...

Let me have the measurements of yours and I'll check..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
This recently came up in another thread and apparently there is a difference in the oil temp pickups locations. Not positive, but I do remember someone mentioning it, so it may help direct your research

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got an sp....I've had an s and an evo..think they're all the same...

Let me have the measurements of yours and I'll check..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Thanks, I just checked my 1100S, see the measurements for the oil cooler below.

Oil cooler core : 230x76x30mm (WxHxD) Mounting tabs are 157mm apart, located on the bottom of the cooler. Oil outlets are at the top corners. Oil temp sensor is on top of the right side oil inlet/outlet.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
The EVO oil cooler is larger. The mounting is the same, but the EVO doesn't have an oil temp sensor in the cooler.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The EVO oil cooler is larger. The mounting is the same, but the EVO doesn't have an oil temp sensor in the cooler.
Thanks.. do you know if anyone has drilled/tapped a hole in the same location as on the 1100 cooler to use the stock 1100 temp sensor? It seems like that might be do-able

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Honestly, you are better off going aftermarket. The stock oil cooler on my EVO SP developed a leak. I tried to find a replacement EVO oil cooler and had no luck. The only used ones were really beat up. A replacement from Ducati was rather close in price to an aftermarket. I got an SC Projects. The aftermarkets are all pretty similar in design. They provide more cooling than the EVO coolers.

As for the temp sensor, I don't have a good answer for it. I would not try drilling out the oil cooler to use the existing temp sensor. I believe the temp sensor for the EVO motor is in the vertical head, so not really an option for the DS motor. Look around and you can probably find what others have done given that putting an EVO cooler on a DS motor is not that uncommon. Good luck!

Reactions: Spex

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, you are better off going aftermarket. The stock oil cooler on my EVO SP developed a leak. I tried to find a replacement EVO oil cooler and had no luck. The only used ones were really beat up. A replacement from Ducati was rather close in price to an aftermarket. I got an SC Projects. The aftermarkets are all pretty similar in design. They provide more cooling than the EVO coolers.

As for the temp sensor, I don't have a good answer for it. I would not try drilling out the oil cooler to use the existing temp sensor. I believe the temp sensor for the EVO motor is in the vertical head, so not really an option for the DS motor. Look around and you can probably find what others have done given that putting an EVO cooler on a DS motor is not that uncommon. Good luck!
Thanks for your insight. That's what I'm weighing, if I need to go with an SC Projects(I wish it came in black!!) or not. Sounds like that's the direction I'm gonna need to go.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,260 Posts
Right!
I installed an EVO cooler on my GT1000 with a 1000DS engine.
I can confirm that:

1) The EVO cooler is considerably larger than the 1100s stock one.
2) The cooler on the EVO is fixed on the lower valve cover of the horizontal cylinder (On the 1100s it is fixed on the upper valve cover).
3) The temp sensor on the GT1000's 1000DS engine is placed on the Oil Pickup Screen Bolt. You could buy this part from a DS1000 and re-wire the sensor to move it there.

Thanks for your insight. That's what I'm weighing, if I need to go with an SC Projects(I wish it came in black!!) or not. Sounds like that's the direction I'm gonna need to go.
I installed an SC Project cooler on my hyper.
I also wanted it to be black so I anodized it. After a few years, it is now turning a bit purple so I might get some heat resistant paint on it soon.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/459018-stock-vs-sc-project-oil-cooler-pics-hard-data.html

·
Registered
442 Posts
There ya go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts