Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,

Does anyone know where I can find the torque specifications for the headbolts and case covers for a 64' 200cc Monza? I bought the shop manual, but unfortunatley it doesn't show the torque readings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

·
Registered
281 Posts
Vince,

If your motor is a Monza, it's a 250 not a 200.

Torque settings are more a matter of application then of a specific model of an emgine. As I recall the head bolts on a Ducati 250 are m12 x 1.0 pitch and thread into aluminum. I have always used 28 lb ft taken down in three steps and always across diagonally with well greased threads.

If your motor is a 200 as in Elite, not sure about bolt size. But if the same size as above then the same torque would apply.

As to case bolts, experience has always dictated for me anyway that using a 1/4" drive ratchet drive, I just snug them down, again in three stages, always starting in the middle of the case top then down, then top, and alternating from side to side, and finishing up at each end (left and right), and each re visit, just a tad tighter then before. I call it "romancing" the marriage of cover to case. If you are referring to the through bolts also used for mounting motor to frame, same procedure of visiting each bolt three times.

I've seen more damage from overtightening in all of these areas then in lost oil/bolts due to too loose applications and cylinder head leaks.

Be gentle....fifty-year old metal.

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the help bud. You're right, it's a 250cc not a 200cc. I must have fat-fingered the keys when I was typing.

I appreciate it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As Steve says don't overtighten as they strip when old.
This puts you down the path of getting helicoils.
With nice gasket they dont leak or the screws come undone.
Unlike pommy bikes.

Capt Fuego

·
Registered
293 Posts
As Steve says don't overtighten as they strip when old.
This puts you down the path of getting helicoils.
With nice gasket they dont leak or the screws come undone.
Unlike pommy bikes.

Capt Fuego
As a Pom I could object to that comment-however I won't since I am too old and well remember trying to keep old british bikes oil tight-and mostly failing. Conversly my 38 year old 450R/T Ducati is completely oil tight.

John

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Vince,

If your motor is a Monza, it's a 250 not a 200.

Torque settings are more a matter of application then of a specific model of an emgine. As I recall the head bolts on a Ducati 250 are m12 x 1.0 pitch and thread into aluminum. I have always used 28 lb ft taken down in three steps and always across diagonally with well greased threads.

Be gentle....fifty-year old metal.

Steve

They are 10mm bolts and the factory manual calls for 300-350 lb/in (25-29 lb/ft). Age of the material has no affect - only the number of assembly cycles and condition of the threads (corrosion, etc). Regardless, be gentle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey John,

not actually bagging pommy bikes at all, just a different animal.
In many ways they get better with age?
Not long after i bought my first bike as a kid , ducati 250 i, i started restoring a a Velocette.
Owned a few Velo', must say such a great bike , better than they look.
wonderful times with the velo club over the years.
Thruxton which i had a couple go down as being a treat beyond words.
Lots of different threads , but you just get used to it .
Mine was oil-tight , went like the wind and was so fast round corners.
got an engine etc/ most of bike really , toy with idea to put it in Rickman frame like the
Goodman IOM bike.

Captain Fuego

1 - 7 of 7 Posts