Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm preparing to reassemble the cases on my 1198 and I've got a question regarding the shims used to set the crank preload. When I calculated the preload at the recommended .15mm spec, I discovered that in order to set this exactly I would need to use 2 different sized shims (2.05mm and 2.1mm). I'd like to know if this is an acceptable practice. When I split the cases, both crank shims were the same thickness. I'm not going looser than .15mm, but if I use 2 2.1mm shims, the preload calculates to .20mm, which is actually within the tolerance specified in the service manual. I just need to know whether it's better to use different sized shims or go with slightly higher preload and have them match. Also, if using different sizes, does it matter which side of the crank the thicker one goes on? The manual doesn't weigh in on any of this. Thanks very much,

Ian

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,159 Posts
Brad Black will tell you all you need to know about preload.
Better a bit loose than too much as it causes deflection of the crank.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
You can use different size shims on either side.
I would er on the larger rather then smaller if push comes to shove.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
this brad bloke sounds like a bit of a wanker. i hear he doesn't do coffee either.

i'd not use less than 0.15mm, or more than 0.20. use whatever shims you need to. 0.05mm is not quite that much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts