Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2009 1198 DucatiE

3067 14
I expect many thumbs Down… but before you all vote for me to be dick kicked, she’s going back to a fire breather soon (hoping the wrench brains here can give me good advice)

2009 1198
Got her from a going out of business auction with a rod through the case, mostly dismantled to rolling chassis (engine piece in bins)

I hollowed out the crankcase to mount a 96v DC motor powered by 14 Nissan Leaf batteries. A DC/DC converter to 12 v powers the stock wire harness for lights & speedo. Kelly controller in a hollowed out tank handles the motor & program settings she’s powered & geared to do 90 mph (for about 20 min before needing to be plugged in) LOL!

I recently “mistreated“ the batteries & cane into possession of a 2010 MTS 1200 engine… so as stated before she will soon breath FIRE again (with some forum guidance)

Happy Riding!!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Tread

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Tread
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
1,405 Posts
Agreed. I am not against electric bikes or cars, they could be a lot of fun. I am against being told I have to own one. I quite enjoyed watching the IOM electric TT documentary a few years ago. Good stuff.

·
Registered
2009 Ducati 1198
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. I am not against electric bikes or cars, they could be a lot of fun. I am against being told I have to own one. I quite enjoyed watching the IOM electric TT documentary a few years ago. Good stuff.
Absolutely Agreed!! I am a biker & usually quite violently Against being told what to do or think. My purpose (if I really have purpose) behind this build was to test myself to see if I could figure out how to create it from ‘scratch’ myself (maybe a little bit to have something in my stable for when ‘they’ take away my gas & amo).
I thought it might make a statement having converted a Duc… didn’t expect ‘corporate’ to take the idea & run into Moto E (should have tried for a royalty agreement, lol)

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts
Having done the initial layout study work for the Mono E while working at BAC I'd love to see additional pics which show some detail of the overall packaging. I can say that from what I see here you've done an amazing job of shoehorning all of that into a very small amount of space.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Wow this is awesome, super cool OP! Any idea on weight? How are you controlling everything?

That 2010 MTS motor is only 11.5:1 compression (as opposed to 1198's 12.5ish:1), and i would recommend throwing a lighter flywheel in there to try to keep the crank from breaking... Also the intake manifolds and intake ports will be significantly different than 1198 stuff so may take some adaptation to get the 1198 throttles in there. They are great street motors though. Even better with 12.5:1 pistons and a lighter flywheel, even with the stock MTS cams, possibly due to the smaller, higher velocity, porting.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm not against electric motorcycles of other vehicles per se.
However, I'm very concerned about the price of batteries should it or they need replacement.
I read a story about a e-car which needed a battery replacement and the price of it was more than the value of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2009 Ducati 1198
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not against electric motorcycles of other vehicles per se.
However, I'm very concerned about the price of batteries should it or they need replacement.
I read a story about a e-car which needed a battery replacement and the price of it was more than the value of the vehicle.
Very interesting… that’s actually one of the reasons I’m changing it back to a fire breather! My batteries went up & cheapest replacement is $1700 & I found a 1200 cc for $1300.
On top of that there is a problem with disposal of lith batteries! I had to pay 500 to get rid of them as they are hazmat that is not recycled. Not to mention all the pollution generated in the making of batteries- aka the green farce!

·
Registered
1999 996 Biposto, 2002 Monster 620 Dark
1,405 Posts
On top of that there is a problem with disposal of lith batteries! I had to pay 500 to get rid of them as they are hazmat that is not recycled. Not to mention all the pollution generated in the making of batteries- aka the green farce!
Who ever told you that part of it is inaccurate. They are hazmat only because they are a fire hazard. And they are recycled, they are very valuable as a raw material. Especially automotive lithium batteries because they contain a lot of material.

Li-ion batteries are made of materials such as cobalt, graphite and lithium which are considered critical minerals. Critical minerals are raw materials that are economically and strategically important to the U.S., have a high risk of their supply being disrupted and for which there are no easy substitutes. When these batteries are disposed of in the trash, we lose these critical resources outright.

·
Registered
2009 Ducati 1198
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who ever told you that part of it is inaccurate. They are hazmat only because they are a fire hazard. And they are recycled, they are very valuable as a raw material. Especially automotive lithium batteries because they contain a lot of material.

Well, where I live nobody would take them or ship them for less than $500.
When I was searching online for what to do with them .. EPA says one thing but finding an actual non political place that does it is a completely different story.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts