Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its likely a long shot, but the tank on my S4RS finally started expanding this summer and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck recently having the tank replaced by DNA. Just finished installing the new front end and now the tank won't go back on and the paint has separated and started to bubble/chip around the latch.

I looked at aftermarket options and its just to much $$$... Over 2K for an aluminum tank and 1.5K for a kevlar version :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
The class action lawsuit that mandated replacement has long since expired. The replacement tanks were no different from the originals; they suffered the same swelling.

I had two tanks when I had my S4RS. One was always stripped of all hardware and in drying/shrinking mode. Warm weather and low humidity helps. I would swap them out every six months or so. When I sold the bike, the new owner didn't want to pay for the second tank, so I still have it. Been looking at an S2R lately, so it may come in handy one day. :)

Option #1:
https://www.ducatimonster.org/forum...ycleworks-s-r-tank-group-buy.html#post3159792
Still plastic, but made in USA and will not swell. Cost is $699 if they get 30 people for the group buy. And will need to be painted...

Option #2:
If you have a red S4RS, I have a nice tank. If you don't have a red S4RS, I have a nice tank and rear cowl. :)

Email is rich at rabidjackal dot com.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
What would fit ? I’m not aware any other non - swelling tanks will fit this bike other than aftermarket.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Orion..
What color rear cowl and tank?

Thanks,

Rob.

The class action lawsuit that mandated replacement has long since expired. The replacement tanks were no different from the originals; they suffered the same swelling.

I had two tanks when I had my S4RS. One was always stripped of all hardware and in drying/shrinking mode. Warm weather and low humidity helps. I would swap them out every six months or so. When I sold the bike, the new owner didn't want to pay for the second tank, so I still have it. Been looking at an S2R lately, so it may come in handy one day. :)

Option #1:
https://www.ducatimonster.org/forum...ycleworks-s-r-tank-group-buy.html#post3159792
Still plastic, but made in USA and will not swell. Cost is $699 if they get 30 people for the group buy. And will need to be painted...

Option #2:
If you have a red S4RS, I have a nice tank. If you don't have a red S4RS, I have a nice tank and rear cowl. :)

Email is rich at rabidjackal dot com.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What would fit ? I’m not aware any other non - swelling tanks will fit this bike other than aftermarket.
Yeah and those cycleworks tanks are track tanks. They can't be painted.
I believe there was some mention of them being wrappable, but I do recall some saying that even that wasn't possible.

There is a very expensive ebay option. Look up aluminum s2r tank, and await the cringe factor of the cost.
I mean, you could likely make your own for less than they want, even if you have to buy absolutely all the equipment and tools. heh.

Rob.

·
Registered
57 Posts
From what I've read, it's not a swap fit. Work need to be done. Sure someone has tried it before.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I coated mine over the winter. It was really the only option that seemed rational. The alloy tanks I’ve seen must be painted because their production methods didn’t result in a tank that would look good polished. A polished tank at their price would at least be more palatable if there was a farkle factor, but then having to pay for a paint job on top of it just to make it look stock....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I coated mine over the winter. It was really the only option that seemed rational. The alloy tanks I’ve seen must be painted because their production methods didn’t result in a tank that would look good polished. A polished tank at their price would at least be more palatable if there was a farkle factor, but then having to pay for a paint job on top of it just to make it look stock....
If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to coat the tank with?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I know its likely a long shot, but the tank on my S4RS finally started expanding this summer and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck recently having the tank replaced by DNA. Just finished installing the new front end and now the tank won't go back on and the paint has separated and started to bubble/chip around the latch.

I looked at aftermarket options and its just to much $$$... Over 2K for an aluminum tank and 1.5K for a kevlar version :(

Looks like this guy ^^^ went ahead and bought a factory replacement tank ($1300), then got it Caswell-coated before remounting. It’s an option, but it will swell again. I’m thinking about getting an aluminum tank then getting it paint matched to factory. Expensive but I’ll never deal with the expanding tank again…

Two Options:

Beater JAPAN
https://motowheels.com/i-23901188-ducati-monster-s4rs-hair-lined-aluminum-fuel-tank.html

or Legendary USA
Aluminum

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
There's a long post on the Monster forums by a guy who bought one of their tanks and had a bunch of fitment issues with it. The company didn't respond very well and he had to fight them to get a refund :frown2:
Yikes...

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to coat the tank with?
I know it might sound unwise, but I used a product I believe is called Red Kote . I bought it based on having used it before on a sports car tank that was rust perforated, after repair with JB Weld. All I can say for sure is that wherever I had a drip, it’s permanent. Caswell seems to be the recommended tank sealer on this forum, but I had this on the shelf and decided to use it.

Reactions: breaddrink

·
Registered
179 Posts
I went a different route..
I emptied the ethanol gas, let it dry right out, and have since only used ethanol free gas. I'm lucky enough to have a marina close by that sells it.

I can't find any information about this 'method', and if the tank might shrink, if it was swelling (which I think it was a little), or remain the same, or even continue swelling, etc, as I can only find info on air drying them.

I'm interested in the CAC replacement tanks as they'll be made specifically for our bike models, but it's a close run thing. I mean 699 plus painting costs.. So we're talking a thousand dollars.

That's three scuffed up tanks worth from Ebay :)

I do know that someday they'll run out of tanks though.

Rob.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
I let mine dry all winter and coated it this spring. I use ethanol free when I can, but find it impossible not to occasionally have to use ethanol laced fuel.

Reactions: breaddrink

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Supposedly a different type of plastic for the tank that is not affected by ethanol fuel, but also can’t be painted.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My tank has swollen to the point that I cannot latching it with the ignition in place.. my fix:

!. Beg the wife for “bike funds”
2. Remove ignition switch, throw in trash
3. Tune the ECU to delete immobilizer
4. Replace ignition switch with RFID igintion switch from motowheels, mount inside air box.
5. Have fancy S4RS badge fabricated to sit where the old ignition switch mounted, but make it small enough so the tank latch’s again.

Ill have to park it and clean/dry the tank so it shrinks, then coat it next spring to minimize swelling again. This way, I get a keyless ignition and I can get the small digital dash from motowheels as well, and STILL be way under budget vs an aluminum tank!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts