Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys.

I've never had any issues with my Hyper until now. I had to use a pressure washer on the underside to remove some road grim, and when I started it afterwards, it ran fine until I put it into 1st gear.. when it fell on its face. The kickstand was up.

The bike restarted after much coughing and sputtering... and when reved, would allow me to shift into 1st... and ride... however not without coughing and sputtering. At a higher RPM, it seems to ride and pull fine, but at lower RPMS, it seems its only firing on 1 cylinder.

I've checked the kickstand switch, but I'm not sure where to start looking. I also have a Bazzaz kit, which has never given me issues.

The bike gets used very little, and never gets wet. Its always hand cleaned.... except when I road through some mess that was all over the road and I found the closest carwash with a pressure washer... I hosed the stuff off, and from then the bike hasn't run properly.

Any direction would be great, prior to taking it to the shop.
Thanks,
Alex

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
You got it wet?? You're not supposed to get these things wet!! :eek:

Don't feed it after midnight, either.
Ha, great movie. My advice for now is to let it sit for a day or two to make sure that it is completely dry. If that does not fix it then I think you need to pull the tank and inspect all the wiring to see if maybe your pressure washing knocked something askew. Do you have a diagnostic device, either Ducatidiag or other? If so then run the simple test on the injectors and fuel pump? Plug into the bazazz and make sure it is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha, great movie. My advice for now is to let it sit for a day or two to make sure that it is completely dry. If that does not fix it then I think you need to pull the tank and inspect all the wiring to see if maybe your pressure washing knocked something askew. Do you have a diagnostic device, either Ducatidiag or other? If so then run the simple test on the injectors and fuel pump? Plug into the bazazz and make sure it is functioning correctly.
Thanks for the advice Bryce. Its been over a week now of it sitting. Still the same as when it was initially washed. I'm going to go over all the connections from the Bazzaz wiring harness, as they use push-splice terminals which could easily have been knocked.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I remember my dealer telling me very firmly not to use water to clean bike except the wheels and NO pressure washer .... I'm sure it's something simple it's just finding it . Good luck !!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I remember my dealer telling me very firmly not to use water to clean bike except the wheels and NO pressure washer
No water to wash the bike? What kind of BS is that? Did he tell you not to ride it in the rain either?

So how did he suggest you clean it?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I thought the very same thing !! Just passing on what was told to me.
I just use the water hose on wheels and chain and spray clean for everything else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
get yourself a few cans of 210 or Plexus,,, pretend your bike is in a hospital,, and can only be washed by a sponge bath.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just pressure washed yesterday.... lucky there is nothing bad happing...yet

I will be careful next time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I only use a pressure washer and a foamer, rarely ever use a sponge... But I detail it 1-3 times a month.

Could b a bad plug wire or crappy connection somewhere but if it can't handle a pressure washer it can't handle the rain either..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Strongly disagree !! I had a 98 Honda cr250 and the pressure washer actually cut the gasket on the clutch cover and it would spit out oil when riding .it will also blast away clear coat on painted surfaces . 3000-4000 psi of water pressure versus rain is completely different . Pressure washers can cause serious damage if not used carefully! No reason for a pressure washer on any street bike . Water hose will do find .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Strongly disagree !! I had a 98 Honda cr250 and the pressure washer actually cut the gasket on the clutch cover and it would spit out oil when riding .it will also blast away clear coat on painted surfaces . 3000-4000 psi of water pressure versus rain is completely different . Pressure washers can cause serious damage if not used carefully! No reason for a pressure washer on any street bike . Water hose will do find .
+ 1!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
757 Posts
i don't see why anyone feels the need to use a pressure washer for their bike... or car for the matter. the seals (for electrical and mechanical) aren't meant to keep water with pressure that high. garden hose pressure if more than enough and can already get you in enough trouble as it is.

my CRV's engine was pressure washed by the dealer and had caused some electrical issues. Took about a month before it normalized. Bearing seals will still allow water in if you blast it directly with pressurized water. My Hyper's display had condensation forming inside for a couple of days and that's just from a garden hose. We don't even have the same high pressure you guys have there. a somewhat stiff brush would be more than enough. Use S100 Total Cleaner if you really want to get good results.

Personally I wouldn't do it. Rain is not the same as pressure washer.... very huge difference. Just ask the Nema spec'd designers.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
To get off any road grime on the engine I use a degreaser spray and then a light water pressure from the garden hose. For the rest off the bike I use a canuba wax spray or Protectall with some clean and dry detailing rags. Works like a charm.

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
It sounds like you might have gotten water in the air box. I've done that before on my Multi using a garden hose. I started it up and then it died almost immediately. Restart and die. Restart and die. Give it a little throttle and try starting it a few times. It may take a minute or so to get it running properly.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
It sounds like you might have gotten water in the air box. I've done that before on my Multi using a garden hose. I started it up and then it died almost immediately. Restart and die. Restart and die. Give it a little throttle and try starting it a few times. It may take a minute or so to get it running properly.
You need to be careful doing that. I grenaded a porsche engine years ago while driving in the rain with open element filters on the carbs without rain shields. Engines with gas in the carb run funky, motors that ingest water don't do so well.

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Running like one of the 4 plug wires is off???
Or shorted...
I found it odd that the motor would run crappy with only one plug firing in a 2 Spark plug/ cylinder motor...
Start taking a look at connections, Plug wires first. Then look into air box...Keep digging till you find the wet or disconnected wire...

Nothing wrong with a pressure washer At a DISTANCE ....and not a pointed spray , but a fan spray...

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you did get water in the air box then why not just wet/dry vacuum that water out instead of letting the engine have a go at it. It's a bit of work to get inside though. You can actually see the air box's cover if you look from the top. I was wondering if water could enter from that or is that blanket supposed to cover that up? My blanket doesn't cover the whole channel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back to the original problem, after removing the Bazzaz unit, the bike ran as it should. Apparently the Bazzaz unit fried after getting wet. Not too happy with how sensitive the units are.
Cheers
Alex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts