Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I had trouble with my bike on the way to work last year. It lost power and then died on the road. I was able to get it going to work and them home.
I stopped riding it and the following spring took it in for service. I wish I could find the service report, but cannot.

The service department did the 20k check up and then started working on the original problem. I would get a call every other day saying that they did this and then that, and still there's a problem, need more money and I'd say yes. This went on and on and they got to the point where I had to stop. They said the bike was better but not perfect. They thought it might be a dirty carb and was going to try to use carb spray on it, or it could be the fuel pump, low pressure. I took it home and that's where I'm at. I spent almost $2500, and felt like they just wanted to get whatever they could out of me....

So my question is where do I look? Is the fuel pump a common issue? Would that cause the rough / skipping / missing?

Should I start with the carb?

Let me know what you think!

Max

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I think they did take you for every bit they could if they said there is a problem with the carb. The bike is fuel injected. I hope you can find a shop worth going to. If you dig up the old shops report, post it up and we might be of some help.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Too many possibilities to nail it here. I just changed crankshaft in a 1100 hyper and found this

http://instagr.am/p/BwkghawnFQn/
I would consider finding a good shop and trying someone else. Be sure to bring records of everything already done and find someone who has proven record of working on Ducati's.

·
Registered
2011 1100 EVO
63 Posts
Hi Madmax26,

With that handle I thought you might be in Australia but then I noticed the funny striped flag lol

Any way I had problems with my 1100 EVO over the last year and finally got it sorted.
Check every thing visually for cracks and splits in hoses
Mine ended up being the small 5mm hoses to the inlet tube for the manifold pressure sensor
I would never imaged that such a small issue as a split hose would have on the engine. Mine wouldn't even idle

Good luck and don't give in.

David

·
Registered
258 Posts
What that shop did was nothing short of criminal. Carbs?!?!

If You’re in California, contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to file a complaint; you may be able to recuperate some or all of the fraudulent charges then RUN, do not walk, away from them and never return.

More to your point, don’t discount the infamous side stand sensor.

Long story long, I had experienced similar intermittent problems which manifested as fueling issues.

On one of the occasions I went to my buddy’s shop and we put her on a ducatidiag software showing no codes. I had already thrown new plugs, wires, ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel filter, reset tps, sync’d throttle bodies and I almost pulled the trigger on a set of new fuel injectors when we cycled the fueling system and injectors several times. (Ducatidiag has a program which mechanically cycles and tests the injectors returning real time feedback - very cool to watch and hear). It was both comforting and frustrating to hear the fuel system functioning properly showing no errors.

l discovered it all by chance; I had been tracking, tracing and throwing parts and theories at the issue while one day as I was limping the bike home from a test ride I pulled over while it was exhibiting the problems and it died again.

After pulling over and scratching my head,was in neutral with the stand up and as soon as I kicked it in to first she sputtered and died.
I turned her on again in neutral and same thing when placed in gear she died exactly how it’s supposed to when the stand is down. I did this a number of times and had my side of the road revelation.

I was able to limp and push the bike home and I immediately rigged up a jumper for the side stand connector.
Three years and umpteen thousand miles later, she’s been sputter free.

Hopefully it’s just a faulty side stand switch as that’s an easy fix. There’s tons of posts and videos but it’s really easy. Locate the connector for the switch, open it up and jump the 1st and 3rd pins using a piece of wire and seal it off. Take it for a spin and hopefully that’s the culprit.
If not, that’s just one more thing to check off of the trial and error process.
Best of luck in your endeavors and keep us posted.
Believe it or not, trial and error posts help a lot and if that shop specializes in Ducati’s, let us know who they are to avoid them like the plague.
Happy riding!

‘blu

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
To own a Ducati you should either be rich or mechanically proficient, preferably both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Madmax26,

With that handle I thought you might be in Australia but then I noticed the funny striped flag lol

Any way I had problems with my 1100 EVO over the last year and finally got it sorted.
Check every thing visually for cracks and splits in hoses
Mine ended up being the small 5mm hoses to the inlet tube for the manifold pressure sensor
I would never imaged that such a small issue as a split hose would have on the engine. Mine wouldn't even idle

Good luck and don't give in.

David

HI David!

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, the Madmax26 is a long story!!!
I'll start with your recommendations and let you know what I find!
Thanks again!

_Madmax26

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What that shop did was nothing short of criminal. Carbs?!?!

If You’re in California, contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to file a complaint; you may be able to recuperate some or all of the fraudulent charges then RUN, do not walk, away from them and never return.

More to your point, don’t discount the infamous side stand sensor.

Long story long, I had experienced similar intermittent problems which manifested as fueling issues.

On one of the occasions I went to my buddy’s shop and we put her on a ducatidiag software showing no codes. I had already thrown new plugs, wires, ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel filter, reset tps, sync’d throttle bodies and I almost pulled the trigger on a set of new fuel injectors when we cycled the fueling system and injectors several times. (Ducatidiag has a program which mechanically cycles and tests the injectors returning real time feedback - very cool to watch and hear). It was both comforting and frustrating to hear the fuel system functioning properly showing no errors.

l discovered it all by chance; I had been tracking, tracing and throwing parts and theories at the issue while one day as I was limping the bike home from a test ride I pulled over while it was exhibiting the problems and it died again.

After pulling over and scratching my head,was in neutral with the stand up and as soon as I kicked it in to first she sputtered and died.
I turned her on again in neutral and same thing when placed in gear she died exactly how it’s supposed to when the stand is down. I did this a number of times and had my side of the road revelation.

I was able to limp and push the bike home and I immediately rigged up a jumper for the side stand connector.
Three years and umpteen thousand miles later, she’s been sputter free.

Hopefully it’s just a faulty side stand switch as that’s an easy fix. There’s tons of posts and videos but it’s really easy. Locate the connector for the switch, open it up and jump the 1st and 3rd pins using a piece of wire and seal it off. Take it for a spin and hopefully that’s the culprit.
If not, that’s just one more thing to check off of the trial and error process.
Best of luck in your endeavors and keep us posted.
Believe it or not, trial and error posts help a lot and if that shop specializes in Ducati’s, let us know who they are to avoid them like the plague.
Happy riding!

‘blu
Hey 'blu!

Thanks for taking the time out!
I'll check it out also and let you know what I find!

Thanks again!

-Madmax26

·
Registered
332 Posts
Carbs on a hyper?😆... you sure the mechanic said that or was it the guy at the counter?

after spending that kind of cash and not fixing the problem, you should ask them to email you a copy of all the service done to the bike, it takes them 1 minute.

good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts