Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

When you think of hallowed Italian marque of Ducati, several glorious models come to mind, such as 750 Supersport, the iconic 916, the successful line of Monsters, and more recently the exciting 1098 superbike and Hypermotard wild thing.

But not many revere the 749, a middleweight V-Twin based on the platform of the little-loved 999, whose styling failed to ignite the passions of the Ducatisti. While a competent performer, the 749 weighed nearly as much as the 999 and wasn’t on anyone’s list of prettiest bikes.

All that’s changed with the introduction of this new 848. It not only shares the lovely shape of the wildly successful 1098, it also shames the legendary 916 in terms of horsepower output. We measured nearly 116 hp at the rear wheel. Consider that the revered Ducati 916 had a hard time cracking the 100-hp barrier, and the brawnier 998 barely topped 110 rear-wheel horsepower while weighing considerably more than this Slim-Fast-ed 848.

More: 2008 Ducati 848 Road Test on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
848's are cool.
I agree, there is one on my wish list for later on this year - must be RED, the white doesn't do it for me although it would make a great basis for a tricolour :cool: :think:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Howdy folks. I'm new to this forum, saw this post, and am delighted to say... I just bought one! Red, 2008, 848, and ever so hot. I can't wait until the run-in period is over : ) .

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
welcome to the Forum spotcom. I picked up my SC on the 26th of Jan and am also hanging for the run in period to be over - 550kms to go :D

when I picked it up they had 3 white 848's arrive that morning, I reckon if they had have had a RED one I would have thought twice about the SC ;)

enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys, I am a new member. I picked up my white 848 from the dealer yesterday and just finished an evening ride thru the canyons near my house. bugs all over my bike, jacket and helmet.

That bike is sick!. So responsive and the power is so smooth that a kid could ride it. But beware, it is a monster. I have really been holding back.

The slightest lean and the bike floats thru the turns. I can't wait till tomorrow, and of course till the break in period is up in 450 more miles. LOL.

I love the white one but the red one at the dealer was nicer than I thought, I wish I had looked before purchasing, but I pulled the trigger while on the phone.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Sounds like a great bike from this and all other accounts. But, stupid video and comments in the article. To wit:

"it also shames the legendary 916 in terms of horsepower output. We measured nearly 116 hp at the rear wheel. Consider that the revered Ducati 916 had a hard time cracking the 100-hp barrier, and the brawnier 998 barely topped 110 rear-wheel horsepower while weighing considerably more than this Slim-Fast-ed 848."

Well, it has been 14 years since the 916 arrived. A decade and a half of development would tend to have this kind of effect on power and weight.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Oh, the humanity! Why is there no GIALLO?!!?

This lump of Italian sweetness also tops my "IWANNA" list. 116hp sounds just about right for me. Fast, but not "pack a change of skivvies before opening the throttle" fast. :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
What is funny is that the horse power at the wheels seems to be being reported as higher than the 116 reported by that article. Ive seen a number of dyno graphs of stock 848s pushing right around 120hp. Maybe they are ringers but still - impressive.

It would be interesting to see what an 848 with stock pipes and a good dyno tuning could deliver. Then throw on the Termis and go nuts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What is funny is that the horse power at the wheels seems to be being reported as higher than the 116 reported by that article. Ive seen a number of dyno graphs of stock 848s pushing right around 120hp. Maybe they are ringers but still - impressive.

It would be interesting to see what an 848 with stock pipes and a good dyno tuning could deliver. Then throw on the Termis and go nuts.
114 hp and 61 pounds of torque at teh 600 mile check.

·
Duc for life
181 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
According to the two bros site, you'll notice huge gains in power (see quote below). Not sure about the statement if only a 3.5 HP gain, but nice slips nonetheless.

"Huge gains in power and torque can be expected from our dual slip-on exhaust system, and you will definitely notice a weight savings on the track or street."

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, new to forum. Just picked up my red 848 Monday and love it. I think the power will be fine after the break in since right when the bike is starting to rumble with anticipation I shift...Man its hard to do. The bike definitly floats through turns though, coming fom a Kawasaki 636, it just feels to pull you through the turn rather than you tucking and fighting to hold the line. I have clear alternatives integrated tailight on order, the termignoni exhaust (coming 2-3 weeks from italy), and the carbon fiber front fender. I look forward to updating some pics for you all.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
:cool:

heyo fello duc's,

My first post as I picked up my white 848 on May 1.

I LOVE this bike. More power than my 996, and damn near "thumpier" than my 999. I seriously really dont care about the argument about hp. After todays 600m break in and fresh dyno (sorry no specs to show), even WITH the belts at 94HZ spec, this machine de la sex is around 119-120hp.

Somebody fudged the specs abit, :)

Cornering is less than effortless, responsiveness is super fluid and as posted above, keeping it in the 4500-5000rpm range for the first 6 hundred was almost painfull as this beast only wants to scream. Ducati manual states to run at 6500-7500 for the next 6 hundred and then I can open this present up!. But I can tell you straight off, with SOOO much torque and so much blissfull response 65mph in 3rd (and easily more) is quite the rush.

Gsx'ers may have more top. but NOTHING beats 848's bottom. My buddys 1098 feels like riding a "new shoe" compared to the 848, and these are HIS words.. lol.

As for the color white being the "bird" for this year 08.. I say what the fbomb ever. Good luck in trying to find one because EVERY white duc in my try state area is GONE. Besides I have a red and a yellow and this white is just flat out secksy.

BIKE OF THE YEAR or at least better be. What a ride. If you dont have one, your seriously missing out.

Dislikes: (yes there are a few)

1. Hand clearance front ferring, with bars fully turned big hands will get pinched.. It was alarming at first be warned.

2. RVM suck.. adjustment is almost none and sight is horrid.. I suggest handle mirror stat.

3. Heat.. for this bad boy to put out sooo much, it can get in the 220 range before thermo kicks and fans turn on. I was assured that 240 is max but 225 is when light kicks on. Odd but meh.

4. Stock comes with yellow head lamps, at 12v/55watt, you can get zions with 12v/60watt without frying your harness BUT stay away from the 120watt white lights available as they have been known to stress the harness.

One last note of interest. For those interested in the all in one brake/signals lamp to lose the tenticles.. MAKE SURE YOU GET STAGE 2, not stage one, as they WILL fry your wires. My parts guy told me specifically to wait as the stage ones were so bad that at 150$ a pop its not worth the 800$ wire replacements. Just do your homework.

this is all
done
d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts