Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ducati 1098s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Ducati 1098s cuts in and out while riding. I replaced and relocated the VR with a mosfet. Its still happening now while idling. The rpm indicator, headlight and other electric components turn off and on along with the engine. As fast as you blink your eyes it turns back on.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
sounds like a general power issue. battery terminals tight? fuses all good? seen cracked fuses before, doing weird stuff.

·
Registered
2008 ducati 1098s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying to the issue I'm having. I will go through and check my connections as well as the fuses. I talked to it Ducati mechanic on the phone. He said it sounds like it could be. TPS throttle positioning sensor. And he said from the dealership that you have to buy the whole throttle body with the sensor which is $2,000 I don't understand why the sensor would have something to do with everything turning off and on like it is.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Check the side stand switch as well. If the spring is weak the stand can drop just enough to cut the ignition when you hit a bump

·
Registered
2008 ducati 1098s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the side stand switch as well. If the spring is weak the stand can drop just enough to cut the ignition when you hit a bump
Ok I will check side stand. Yesterday I had bike in neutral idling just fine gave it a little more gas rpms about 2500 for about 5 to 10sec. And same issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The side stand switch won't cause the other electronic components to turn off though. This sounds like a bad connection to or from the battery, maybe even the battery terminals themselves have failed.

·
Registered
2008 ducati 1098s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The side stand switch won't cause the other electronic components to turn off though. This sounds like a bad connection to or from the battery, maybe even the battery terminals themselves have failed.
I haven't given up yet. Seeing I can't get a service appointment until May 15th. If I come across the issue. I will definitely post it. Thanks to all who have contributed their help and ideas.!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
How about connecting a diagnostic tool to read the fault codes instead of making this into a guessing game. 🤔

·
Registered
2008 ducati 1098s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about connecting a diagnostic tool to read the fault codes instead of making this into a guessing game. 🤔
When everything turns off and back on it clears the codes. So unfortunately it is a guessing game at this point.

·
Registered
Ducati 1198s 2009
12 Posts
Make sure all the earth points on the bike are clean and not corroded.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I currently have exactly the same issue on my 848, happens when I get the RPMs up when it's cold. Complete cut-out of everything electric. I know the cause - it's happened before, and I've fixed it before.
Contacts in the main fuse holder down near the front of the engine are losing connectivity... when the bike is cold and vibrates past a certain resonance, the fuse temporarily loses contact with the contacts in the holder. Fine when the bike warms up, or I don't rev it too hard before then.
Have disassembled the fuse holder previously and bent the contacts back and cleaned them up, ran great for another year, but has started doing it again with winter setting in.
But your symptoms are something like a major disconnect with battery leads/fuses/earth wires. Start there - check battery terminals, where those leads go, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts