Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just picked up a 2008 848 from auction. Its missing the key but has a cluster and ignition still. I need to see how many miles are on the bike before I decide if its being fixed or stripped. Any ideas of how to turn on the cluster with out key? Would the woodcraft ignition eliminating harness work for this? Obviously i wont be able to start the bike... any ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
944 Posts
would most likely need to send the ECU out to get flashed to remove the immobilizer as the ECU/key/dash are tied together. BUT that could have been done already in the past so I would start with the woodcraft ignition and go from there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would most likely need to send the ECU out to get flashed to remove the immobilizer as the ECU/key/dash are tied together. BUT that could have been done already in the past so I would start with the woodcraft ignition and go from there.
In my research so far I found out the ech is not tied but the key/immobilizer/cluster are. So in theory with wiring harness the cluster should turn on but the bike wont start. At least thats my theory lol

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did some reading on the link. Here is what it says:
I2K system operation
The key inserted in the ignition switch (where mechanically compatible) allows its rotation to ON. In this position the bike's electric system and electronic control units are powered; the instrument panel uses the antenna to read the electronic code memorized in the transponder contained in the key and compares it with the stored ones that can start the engine. After the acknowledgement, the instrument panel allows starting the engine.

The key question: It says the ignition will power the cluster after which it looks for acknoledgement of the code to be able to start the eninge. After the power up and in case the code is not acknowledged (which would be the case if I use the wiring harness) Would mileage still show on the cluster?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
It also wouldn’t be to difficult to read the wiring diagram and bridge the ignition plug to light the thing up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry didn't read if it's already been said, but with those Woodcraft harnesses you actually need to tuck the key in with the immobilizer ring somewhere on the bike. So technically it doesn't do away with the key the ECU just recognizes it via the immobilizer system.

What would seem to be your easiest route, just have your immobilizer disabled.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the woodcraft harness, plugged it in and the cluster turns on. Except it says 1 in the mileage box... so I think this idea was a fail. Can anyone comment?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
The mileage is stored in the dash. So it has been reset or it has a new dash.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The mileage is stored in the dash. So it has been reset or it has a new dash.
Thats what I thought but its very strange. Bike is 2008, bought it at auction after an accident. How could it have only 1 mile on it even if its a new cluster.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thats what I thought but its very strange. Bike is 2008, bought it at auction after an accident. How could it have only 1 mile on it even if its a new cluster.
No idea why specifically only one mile on the dash. With the earlier dash from the 1098/848 series you could read and write the chip and alter several settings, such as the mileage. The lowest mileage you could set it was 4 (if I remember correctly).

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I don’t believe a coded dashboard could be reset. Only a virgin dash and obviously in the forward direction. But I could be wrong. Did you check the trip meter?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts