Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ducati & Hypermotard community. My name is David, I live in SoCal, and this is my first post! Of course it's a question, hopefully a simple one.

Brief background, I last owned a Triumph Speed Triple (loved) and Aprilia RSV 1000 R (not so much - another thread). I have been off bikes for ~8 years until my son recently came home with a bike, Honda CBR 500 - perfect beginner ride for a 22 yr old. So he is heading to the Navy at the end of the year and see this as a chance to ride with him and teach what I know. So last weekend I rented a 2008 HM and was smitten immediately with the dirt bike ergo and fun sounds with open dry clutch. Did a Sunday ride with my son for 120 miles and came away with big smiles.

Ok to the question, I recently looked at a used 2008 HM with 17K miles. Lots of upgrades and bling (carbon fiber), full Termignoni exhaust, Power commander, etc... new chain, good tires, very clean looking. Though, the seller is a recent owner, so no real history on the bike. After looking stuff over for 30 minutes I was thinking to make an offer the next day. But the seller also added that bike has K&N filters (his words they look awesome with the kit off). So that was a red flag - IMO that brand is 100% marketing hype, makes more noise, but lets in dirt unless cleaned religiously. I am now on the fence with this, leaning to walking away because I am worried about how much crap/dirt/debris the motor has injested. I did start the bike, but not cold as he just rode it (another red flag), but the sounds and throttle response was crisp. Brakes also looked new.

Long question, haha, would you shine off a bike with K&N, or am I being unreasonable? Any other concerns about what I posted that would make you walk? I am new to the brand, only heard that maintenance is critical which I am good with. I just came away thinking the bike could be a pig with really good lipstick. Yes I know you only have what I have posted to go on. If any of my words above triggered any red flags feel free to chime in to this Ducati newb.

Apologies in advance for starting my time here with a community ask. Looking forward to posting pictures of my new ride once settled.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And to follow up, and break up a huge first post, if I do make an offer, it will be ~ $800 less than ask, so likely will not be a deal. But if the seller is close, anyone in the Los Angeles (101 & 170) area willing to help putting final eyes on it? Your time will be much appreciated with a $100 gift card of your choice. Thanks, David

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
K&N doesn't scare me, especially on a street bike. The chances that this bike did ingest a quantifiable amount of dirt is slim unless it was an off-road going bike. Reason for riding it before you show up? Possibly the battery was weak from sitting and although he got it to charge, he was concerned if it would act up while you were there if he didn't ride it? Not sure. However, I had a 2008 and cannot for the life of me see what else a warm bike would hide over a cold bike of that model.

Essentially, while not bulletproof, those bikes are pretty hard to fault. If you wanted to ditch the K&N, there are a few good options out there. I will say, that although I don't remember the brand or where I got it, that I had individual pod filters on my 2008 Hyper and they made a big performance gain.

Based ONLY on what you have provided, I would request to see it, with cash in hand, and request that the bike is cold to do a cold start. If everything checked out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Dave

·
Registered
710 Posts
It may be worth asking why it has the pod filters on. Was it part of the Termi/PC upgrade process? If yes, was the ECU upgraded/flashed to match?
Does the bike have the CCW larger fuel tank fitted (which dictates use of pod filters). If it does, you must remove it immediately and send it to me for disposal - only kidding, it is a superb and expensive upgrade.

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard S
58 Posts
It's hard to tell if this bike has pods or a regular airbox based on what you wrote.

Does the bike have the CCW larger fuel tank fitted
Can confirm this an outstanding upgrade (6 gallons!!!) and it's a reason why one of these bikes would have pods. Some people report this changes the power delivery a bit but I bought mine with the pods (and full termi + reflash) so I can't comment on that.

I've had had no issues running the K&N pods but I clean them every oil change or around 5k miles. I do track days and am not shy about finding dirt roads with the added range on the tank. Oil always comes out clean, I don't think you'll have problems with them.

My hyper has been rock solid aside from some minor electrical issues from PO mods. I just passed 20k miles, half of them mine, planning on putting at least that many more on it!

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Decreasing Dave has said basically what I would have said. Other than to add that I will be going to pods after installing exhaust and ecu to the bike. Also, that I have put K/N type filters on just about everything I've owned and that I keep them cleaned and not over oiled.

Reactions: JavaBrewer

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If it has true K&N brand filters on it then it might have the Corse Dynamics intake kit stacks with K&N filters
would explain the power commander as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've used lots of KnN stuff. No problems .... I have an 08 Hyper 1100s withvKnN pods .... runs great

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Yes I am biased against aftermarket air filtration systems - played in the air cooled Porsche pool for a while and did a bunch of research. Based on this feedback I won't let the K&N influence my decision. I will try to strike a deal with the seller this week. Will keep you all posted, hopefully be able to post pictures soon!

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Nicely done! Congrats on the Hypertard.

Reactions: JavaBrewer
1 - 11 of 11 Posts