Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I'm a long time 2 valve guy (about 5 of them over the years) now toying with getting another monster, but with 4 valves... I found a 2007 S4R locally and it seems reasonably priced (relative to the new 2v 1100) and with low mileage... I just can't find any long-term reviews of this bike? The testa motor was only used in the monster for, I think 3 years? Does anybody out there have a 2007 S4R with a ton of miles on it? How is the reliability of the bike/motor? Also, what is the current cost of an adjustment on a 4 valve duc? Are all 2007 models now 7500 miles?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have an 07 S4Rs - 7.5K service will set you back anywhere from $800 to $1100.

I've only had my duc for 2500 miles are so but so far it's been fairly reliable. My biggest gripe would be it's poor gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
...I'm a long time 2 valve guy (about 5 of them over the years) now toying with getting another monster, but with 4 valves... I found a 2007 S4R locally and it seems reasonably priced (relative to the new 2v 1100) and with low mileage... I just can't find any long-term reviews of this bike? The testa motor was only used in the monster for, I think 3 years? Does anybody out there have a 2007 S4R with a ton of miles on it? How is the reliability of the bike/motor? Also, what is the current cost of an adjustment on a 4 valve duc? Are all 2007 models now 7500 miles?
The engine is basically a 999 engine so should be very reliable. I have an '07 S4Rs and love the bike. I don't think you could get a more exciting streetbike to ride. You can read my review here

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, and solid reading Whippersnapper... I laughed out loud and heard the background music play when I read, "Have I discovered something that is a clever alternative or am I simply one step away from a Harley Sportster?" I have done many track miles, I did take and pass the course to get my road race license, but I never club raced... It was interesting to see that you tracked your S4Rs as I was wondering if it was a viable track day bike? I was surprised at how there was relatively little damage (to both you and your bike; glad you are well and hope the healing process is complete!) as the radiator looks like it would have been taken out more than it was (it only looks like the upper right bracket/tab broke off?) Did you ever get the bike back in riding shape and was it expensive? Also, you mentioned ride height is adjustable (it does look like the rear of all monsters are way too low)... Is the ride height adjustable on the S4Rs only, or does the 2007 S4R have ride height adjustment too? Again, thanks for the review... It's that kind of information that is so difficult to find in regular press reviews...

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Thanks all, and solid reading Whippersnapper... I laughed out loud and heard the background music play when I read, "Have I discovered something that is a clever alternative or am I simply one step away from a Harley Sportster?" I have done many track miles, I did take and pass the course to get my road race license, but I never club raced... It was interesting to see that you tracked your S4Rs as I was wondering if it was a viable track day bike? I was surprised at how there was relatively little damage (to both you and your bike; glad you are well and hope the healing process is complete!) as the radiator looks like it would have been taken out more than it was (it only looks like the upper right bracket/tab broke off?) Did you ever get the bike back in riding shape and was it expensive? Also, you mentioned ride height is adjustable (it does look like the rear of all monsters are way too low)... Is the ride height adjustable on the S4Rs only, or does the 2007 S4R have ride height adjustment too? Again, thanks for the review... It's that kind of information that is so difficult to find in regular press reviews...
The ride height is adjustable on the S4Rs I'm not sure about the Sachs on the S4r. I ended up increasing the preload while setting sag and then didn't feel the need to increase the ride height anyway. The bike has only been cleaned since the crash because I simply haven't had time or been able to work on it. The damage seems very minor considering the speed. I plan to cover on my blog the process of getting it back in shape.

As for trackability, maybe it is a little too good! I would rather have been a tick slower and stayed on board. As I'm sure you know the performance on a closed circuit is more about the rider than the machine anyway but at the US Desmo trackday I attended I was in the first 2 or 3 bikes in the advanced group and that company included a Desmosedici, 1098R and a stroked 999R (fast bike) so i think the Monster is a great track day bike because you can go as fast as anyone if you want but still have a ball at a lower pace

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
...Is the ride height adjustable on the S4Rs only, or does the 2007 S4R have ride height adjustment too? ...
The 2008 S4R has ride height adjustment.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have 11K miles on my 07 S4RS with not one issue thus far.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Does that mean the 2007 S4R does not have ride height adjustment?
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'd guess that the 2007 does have ride height adjustment.

For the 2008 series, the only difference between the R and RS was the Ohlins shocks.

I don't know of any changes from 07 to 08 years. Check out the Ducati home page.

Another thing I can tell you for sure is this baby (S4R) rocks. Totally happy with my choice of motorcycle toy.

G

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
... My biggest gripe would be it's poor gas mileage.
I find this the case when riding in city traffic, stop and go crap.

On the road however, I get a good 16-17 km/L (something like 45 mpg). Not so bad for this super-stonking engine.

One thing...the quoted 15L fuel capacity is really only about 12L.

·
I hear airplanes
2,600 Posts
07 does have ride height adjustment....and it's a newer bike so the chances that the adjustment rod and ends have frozen is low.

The sachs shock is terrible (was for me anyway at 230lbs). Ohlins DU333 will clear that right up. $1200 new - retail, 900ish from DK, sometimes used for $7 bills.

The showas arn't to bad....but arn't too good either. Then again, the S4RS does come with ohlins bling, but it isn't the same grade of ohlins bits as you'ld buy aftermarket.

I'd look at it this way. If either bike is going to need re-springing/fork work, why spend the 2500 extra on the ohlins bits when worked over showa forks will be just as good. Heck, for 1k you can have 20mm cartradge kit installed in the showas and be leaps and bounds above the stock ohlins (resprung) and still have 1500 in your pocket.

My .02 (more like a buck 05 though)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts