Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice- had a lowside recently at COTA, scraped my left mid-fairing. Got some great flex body filler from Eastwood, them ordered the paint kit from ColorRite, supposedly the OEM-matching yellow. Laid down 3 primer coats.

Well, the first yellow paint they sent was the earlier light yellow used on older Ducs. I've seen this yellow on 748s and 998s.

After contacting customer service, they sent the only other yellow they had for Ducati, a darker yellow. ColorRite claims they can match OEM paint, but they sent the wrong yellow the first time! They had my year and model info, shouldn't have happened. Then, the second yellow ain't right either. The subsequent paint is still too light, more lemon, less mustard-y.

Apparently, starting in 2007 Ducati released the new, darker yellow. Sort of mustard-like, with a creamy depth. I really love this yellow! Pretty bummed that it's so hard to match this paint.

My question: are there any other paint sources I can turn to, short of turning to a body shop to custom-blend a perfect, matching yellow? That would probably be big $$... ColorRite has dropped the ball here and I'm looking for other solutions.

I thought about just getting a Chinese EBay fairing kit, but it would have to match my OEM yellow tank. Seems risky when ordering overseas.

Ideas welcome! See pics below.
Greg
Austin

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's gonna be a tough one to match on your own, I think. I had a 2008 1098 in the same color and I tried to match it several times just for touching up minor stuff but I was never able to get it spot on. Best bet would be to take it to a good body shop and have them match it for you, although I'm sure it will cost a bit more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's gonna be a tough one to match on your own, I think. I had a 2008 1098 in the same color and I tried to match it several times just for touching up minor stuff but I was never able to get it spot on. Best bet would be to take it to a good body shop and have them match it for you, although I'm sure it will cost a bit more.
Thank you. I may have to do that. :-(

Are there other suppliers like ColorRite that may be worth a try?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Can of worms here. Most modern pigments are transparent and the primer/base coat is important because it can give your top coat a different shade. Compounding that yellows are extremely metemeric, meaning the wrong mix of pigments will show different shades in different light. So a great color match in your garage can look perfect but look like shit in the sun. You can also add the fact that as the yellow ages it looses yellow from UV bleaching and is harder to match. I know this because painting and repairing motorcycles is what I do for a living.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's pretty difficult to match a new yellow with a 10 year old yellow. Plus, the way you finish (clear, polish, etc.) isn't going to be the same as a factory paint. If you're looking for a prefect match, you probably have to re-spray the whole bike. Taking it to the professionals will get you pretty close, depending how picky you are.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
+1 on the used panel, to match the rest of the bike.

Also, if you take one of your original panels to a "high-end" paint/body-shop they should be able to scan your ~10 year old panel and mix the "old" ton.

Nevertheless, it will be a tough matchup.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
+1 on the used panel, to match the rest of the bike.

Also, if you take one of your original panels to a "high-end" paint/body-shop they should be able to scan your ~10 year old panel and mix the "old" ton.

Nevertheless, it will be a tough matchup.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Greg,

First off, Color Rite is a Joke... Its a Licensing play& probably the main reason the paint Formulas are impossible for most to access in the US.. In Europe & most the rest of the world, the formulas are available..

the 1098 Yellow I have a Formula, unfortunatly I live in CA & 1 of the 3 tints in that color has been banned in CA because of lead content... But if you have an Axalta paint dealer in your area the formula has 3 tints, 842 yellow, 844 yellow & a tiny bit of 807 low strength black.. Its easy if you have those 3 colors... also, its important that you spray it over a white base coat..

Id need to look at the formula for exact weights for mixing, but as I said its easy to match a panel, start with the 842 & add 844 till you have the color close, then ad the 807 LS black small amounts, this will green up the color as needed... Best to tint to match your bike, as previously stated, Yellows tend to change over time.. Strange thing is they can get darker sometimes, not just lighter..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts