Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
I would also say bad battery but after 3. I believe it might be the starter. You can measure the amp draw from the starter, which will tell you if the starter is kaput!

·
Registered
405 Posts
My 1098S had a bad sprag clutch, different symptoms all together.
The insufficiently heavy main battery cables on these were a known and common problem.
The wiring to earth and to the starter can’t handle the current flow, which makes the wiring get hot, and heat further reduces the ability of wiring to conduct current. A vicious cycle.
There are cable upgrade kits available, can’t remember the brand, but not hard to find on the net.
once you get the problem resolved, the bike has to be on a trickle charger when parked up or the anti theft system will sap the battery in just a few days.
i should have explained better! I mentioned the sprag because it went on my bike (a 996) about fore weeks ago,
The initial symptoms were poor starting, starter not turning over as well as it should, stalling at low rpm, basically the starter clutch was on its way out and as I found out was apparently biting when she did fire up!
Riding the bike and 9000 rpm being transferred back the the starter motor wore out the brushes on the starter pretty quick!
It’s worth a look (just to make sure) 👍👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i should have explained better! I mentioned the sprag because it went on my bike (a 996) about fore weeks ago,
The initial symptoms were poor starting, starter not turning over as well as it should, stalling at low rpm, basically the starter clutch was on its way out and as I found out was apparently biting when she did fire up!
Riding the bike and 9000 rpm being transferred back the the starter motor wore out the brushes on the starter pretty quick!
It’s worth a look (just to make sure) 👍👍
Thanks I'll check that out too!

Haven't had much time to get at the bike, but replaced the starter and the same thing is still happening. May take a look at upgrading the terminal wiring just in case.

Back to searching for a short when I can

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update guys.

Had covid so unfortunately just got back to it, but from my tests here is what I've found so far.

Battery rests at around 13.3v and stays charged almost completely with no drain.

When testing the starter solenoid and bypassing it the bike will attempt to start with the same issue of the voltage drain.

If I test the voltage from the battery to the starter motor it drops to about 7 volts or less and dies.

Bike still does not start and have checked all grounds and cleaned them off. I'm really unsure of what I should be checking next. Is it possible my starter motor is bad? Was working like a week before I made the post. Could a bad VR cause this? If so how could I test for that with the bike not being able to start??

Thanks for all the suggestions so far as well.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Disconnect the battery from the bike

Fully charge it.

Use jumpstart cables to connect battery to starter, making sure bike is in neutral before

+ to starter terminal and - to starter body screw.

If bike turn normally you have a bad ground.

If you still have your problem, the starter or battery is shot. In your case with a brand new battery, you can assume it's the starter.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts