Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...

I was under the impression my 2009 Ducati Sport 1000 s did not come with a "red key", but rather three black keys when new. However, my 2006 Paul Smart did. So, is it true Ducati stopped with the red Keys on the Sport Classics in 2008 or am I mistaken?

Back story... I bought my old black Sport 1000s back as it came up for sale at a low price. When I saw it I understood why, so I've been restoring it back to its former glory. The seller only had one key and it was the aftermarket shit key- clearly the keys were lost and they went the cheap route. I want to update everything per the original

On a side note, I have a set of black keys paired with matching ignition/ trunk/ gas cap... wondering if I swap them if that will be enough?

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
They did not stop the red keys. I just got a 2009 sport classic and it came with the red key. There’s a company in Florida that can make a duplicate black key if you want. I did that for my last sport classic and it was perfect. I mailed in my key and had it back with the added one with in a day or two.

You don’t *really* need the red key mind you but is you absolutely want it you can do it but it’s at least $300-400.

The company name is Ducati Parts Unlimited.

https://ducatipartsunlimited.com/pr...st-key-code-card-service-programming-solution

There’s also a company called SOS Diagnostics that can sort you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
hey Luke,

all Sport Classics came with 1 red key, 2 black keys and 1 code card. As you know, I also have a black 09' Sport 1000s which came with all the aforementioned items.

the red key is needed to copy the other keys as well as program the ECU AND most importantly, if your dash breaks down you will need the red key to program the new dash to your existing key set and ECU. Someone told me that Ducati is now able to copy the black keys so you should for sure make a couple spares for "just in case"

Lastly, having the original set of keys and code card is important for some (like me) who want the original stuff. However, your bike has been heavily modified and is far from original.

Bottom line, you will not be able to obtain a Ducati red key or code card with having the black key only. You can get an aftermarket set only. If you want the original Ducati keys, you will need to change and pay for a new dash, ECU, locks and keys. And that is one costly service!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts