Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The Ducati repair gods bit me in the rear, again.

I just buttoned up the rear wheel re-assembly after a set of new tires (Pirelli Strada's). And guess what, I put the cone shaped spacer on the left (sprocket) side with the flat side toward the bearing and the cone side toward the swing arm.

Then I doubted that orientation and checked on ST FAQ site. And sure enough, it says that the flat side should face the swing arm.

Which means I need to pull it all apart again and suck-it-up for another 30 minutes of tweaking.

Question: What is the orientation of the cone-shpaed spacer for the rear wheel:

A) Flat side against the Swing Arm and Conical side facing Sprocket Assembly?

OR

B) Conical side towards the Swing Arm and Flat side against the sprocket assembly?

Please, correct answer would be great, clock is ticking on the sunlight here on West coast...

Cheers,
SJK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1. Remember that the inside bearing race (the smaller of the two, and one next to the axle) doesn't spin. The conical end holds it in place so the out race can move around the inner. Make sense?
Ah, sure does. Only too well.

Another 45 minutes down the tube. Swapped it and the flat side is against the swing arm now. Then tensioned the chain twice (too tight the first time). No bloody knuckles, at least. All done.

Now I'll be searching for optimum tire pressure on the new Strada's. The shop set it at 42 psi rear, 36 psi front. Seems too high. Thanks for your help all.

Cheers,
SJK

J

·
0 Posts
got the same tires on , freakin love em,my mech. says 34-front,36-back works for me amigo.hey rooster what torque ya use on that back nut,61 pounds maybe?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got the same tires on , freakin love em,my mech. says 34-front,36-back works for me amigo.hey rooster what torque ya use on that back nut,61 pounds maybe?
I have an old school torque wrench. Somewhere in the 60's on the ft/lb is about right. I just used the spec in the owner's manual. Did the same for the front,though there was no spec in the manual on the front.

Kinda weak if you ask me, not putting basic torque specs in the bloody owner's manual.

Have you worn through a set of Strada's yet? I got 3,400 miles from Dunlop Sportmax. I want more riding, less wrenching.

·
Registered
998 Posts
More riding less wrenching

Check out the Dunlop Road smarts, read the european tire matchup on Dunlop website. Roadsmarts smoked em.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Front axle nut: 63NM or 47lbs/ft
Rear axle nut: 83NM or 61lbs/ft

I don't think I've ever encountered an owners manual that provided complete torque settings. One reason why I've always had the shop manual.
Bill W.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts