Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read the review on MCN and and Web Bike World: http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/fat-duc-o2-sensor-manipulator/ about this little $80 gizmo that fools the ECU into believing that the bike is running too lean.

Expected result: the ECU makes the bike run more rich and smooths out the twitchy mid and low rev stuff.

I decided what the heck, the next best alternative is 14 big ben's, and, there is a money back guarantee on this thing. So I ordered it.

This morning I was late- and running out the door when I saw the gizmo on the living room table (wife forgot to tell me, again). Anyway, I grabbed it and spent around 5 minutes installing it. The install only took about 30 seconds. The other 4.5 minutes went to finding the wire. Turns out that the in-line connection can be accessed from the left air hole in the fairing.

Well, I popped it in line with the adjustment that it was set on (across from the silver dot meaning richest setting). And I'll be darned, the bloody gremlins are all gone.

What else did I notice:
-seems to rev a bit smoother
-on the way to work I saw higher revs at indicated 90 MPH (big, wide twisty four lane freeway). It was on 5200 instead of normal 5000

The Jury is still out but it seems like the best $80 I ever spent on a tune.

Awesome stuff, FAT DUC. Thanks.

SJK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please keep track of your fuel consumption, as it will be interesting to see if/how the device affects the mpg of your bike.
yea. will do. i am a real stickler when it comes to mileage. so i'll be able to notice the difference after the first tank. i just filled up this morning. normally my light comes on at 136 - 150 miles and that's at 4.0 gallons exactly. So that's between 34 and 38 MPG. once the light comes on i know i can go for another 50 miles with ease.

I'll figure out the new figures and post. but whatever it is, i'll be OK with it. the ROI on $1500 worth of exhaust mods that I won't have to do will go a long way.

SJK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interim progress report +

I had originally set the gauge at its richest point. As it turns out I will not need to have it set that rich. Today, I rolled it back some and there was still no hesitation, backfiring, twitchy behavior, or any sign of lean fuel injection gremlins.

Once I got back to my garage, I rolled it back even more, to see if I can get it any more lean without going too lean. I can't, however, head back out for more testing until tomorrow. But I do plan on a ride then.

I got in touch with the vendor, the suggestion was to get it as lean as possible without letting the gremlins come back. So, my plan is to keep turning it back until I feel some of the old behavior return, then forward it to the last glitch-free setting. once I have that, I will post it.

While I go through this testing phase I am seeing the fuel consumption is up a bit. But I have not used up the whole tank to say by how much. I anticipate the fuel consumption going back down as I continue to lean her out.

Interim verdict: I LOVE IT. It's a whole new bike. Faster, smoother, and much higher grin factor...

Now, who knows how to get some of that Ducati growl out of the stock pipes??? anyone with a definitive stock pipe mod technique?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You sold me!

Thanks for the report. I just ordered one.

I would also love to get more "ducati growl" out of my bike short of spending $1700.00 for the DP CPU/Airbox/Exhaust upgrade. I decided to spend my upgrade dollars on suspension!

·
Still needs a life.
12,543 Posts
Now, who knows how to get some of that Ducati growl out of the stock pipes??? anyone with a definitive stock pipe mod technique?
This an easy one: put miles on the bike. Not only will the engine become smoother, the exhaust sound will become louder as well. If you like your neighbors, you don't want the pipes too loud for those early morning starts of a road trip.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Fat Duc only sells these for the '06 & '07 ST3, because they have a closed loop circuit?

Do the '05 and earlier models have open loop?

·
Still needs a life.
12,543 Posts
Fat Duc only sells these for the '06 & '07 ST3, because they have a closed loop circuit?

Do the '05 and earlier models have open loop?
Correct. Reports here at the ST clubhouse have indicated that the MY 05 and earlier ST3 do not experience the symptoms of lean running like the MY 06 and 07, which members have attributed to the closed loop system on those later model years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had originally set the gauge at its richest point. As it turns out I will not need to have it set that rich. Today, I rolled it back some and there was still no hesitation, backfiring, twitchy behavior, or any sign of lean fuel injection gremlins.

Once I got back to my garage, I rolled it back even more, to see if I can get it any more lean without going too lean. I can't, however, head back out for more testing until tomorrow. But I do plan on a ride then.

I got in touch with the vendor, the suggestion was to get it as lean as possible without letting the gremlins come back. So, my plan is to keep turning it back until I feel some of the old behavior return, then forward it to the last glitch-free setting. once I have that, I will post it.

While I go through this testing phase I am seeing the fuel consumption is up a bit. But I have not used up the whole tank to say by how much. I anticipate the fuel consumption going back down as I continue to lean her out.

Interim verdict: I LOVE IT. It's a whole new bike. Faster, smoother, and much higher grin factor...

rooster69;574527]I have an 07 st3s which I installed a fatduc o2 manipulator before my recent trip down to daytona.The bike ran fine on the way down average speed 85 mph fuel mpg 39.5.A few days after arriving in daytona which is 1,000 miles for me about the 3rd day there the bike began to idle erratic some times between 2&3,000 rpms.I had to readjust fatduc.On the ride back home the bike was fine for about 2 days then the idle problem started on over again!I rode to my dealer to have it checked out they readjusted it again.The service manager told me mine was the second bike with the fatduc to have idle problems,the other bike they had to remove it and remap it!!So far I've only ridden a couple of hundred miles no problems yet .

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Thanks Bill. Mine seems a bit uneven at low engine speeds (<3000 rpm), so maybe a 14T sprocket, fresh plugs and tuning will even it out.

·
Still needs a life.
12,543 Posts
Thanks Bill. Mine seems a bit uneven at low engine speeds (<3000 rpm), so maybe a 14T sprocket, fresh plugs and tuning will even it out.
These bikes do not fully break in until 10,000 miles are on the odometer, so the more you ride, the smoother it will get.

None of the ST models like life below 3,000 rpm. For the ST4s, I always recommend a 15/42T or 15/43T sprocket combo to keep revs in the 4,000-4,500 rpm sweet zone at street and highway legal speeds. I can't speak to the ST3, hopefully some ST3 owners will speak up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perfomance and gas mileage report

outrider,
I have adjusted the 02 sensor a couple of times in an effort to get it as lean as possible without going too lean. I noticed that during the "adjustment period", while the ECU adapts to the new input, the idle runs a little high. But then it goes back to where it should be, around 1250 RPM.

Meanwhile, the bike is running so much better. As for the gas mileage, I am convinced that I could be riding an electric bike and I still will never get 40MPG. The best I ever got on the stock set up is 38 MPG, and that was on a long stretch of straight super slab with no traffic where I day dreamed through. Right now it's looking more like 34 - 35 MPG with the Fat Duc.

Tomorrow I plan to pump the third tank full and not tweak the adjustment for the whole duration. I anticipate ~ 140 miles before the light comes on (4 gallons). For me, that's a loss of 10 miles per tank. But then again, it might be because I am riding faster due to the smooth throttle.

Will keep posting if things change.

Cheers,
SJK

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These bikes do not fully break in until 10,000 miles are on the odometer, so the more you ride, the smoother it will get.
Bill,
I really like your solution to all the problems. Reminds me of my old motorcycling mentor's advice: "just put more miles on it" ... Good one! Thanks.

Cheers,
SJK

P.s. I haven't even been to the DMV to change the registration to my name yet and I have already put 3,000 miles on this puppy. She is fun fun fun. That's for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Semi-Final mileage status

Context: I am super heavy handed on the throttle. I.e. I am from the "when in doubt, gas it" school.

Never have I gotten 40 MPG or more on any bike I have owned including an ST1100 and an FJR 1300...

... with that said. My mileage from the last tank was 34.5. I lost ~ 20 miles in range from pre-O2 adjuster days.

I think I can probably roll back the O2 adjustment another hair. But it's pretty much there.

Meanwhile, Santa arrived early this year and through some good fortune and great connections, I am getting the DP pipe kit in the next week or two. At first I plan to install only the cans and tweak the O2 sensor, should that be necessary.

In another 1,900 miles I am due for a valve adjust. At that time I will have the chip and the open air filter installed too.

Meanwhile, there is no surging in the 2006 ST3s anymore.

Cheers,
SJK

·
Registered
105 Posts
Amazing change...

I picked up my ST3 last night after getting some upgrades added including a 14 tooth sprocket and the Fat DUC O2 Manipulator...I can't describe the difference.

Amazingly smooth, incredible throttle response...absolutely NO surging at low RPM's like before. The setting is really rich so I will start the "weaning" process and add my mileage calcs to this thread.

At this point it seems like a great $80.00 investment!

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
"on the way to work I saw higher revs at indicated 90 MPH (big, wide twisty four lane freeway). It was on 5200 instead of normal 5000"

An interesting statement because although it appears the unit does "The business" regarding smoothing out the engine it can not physically change the connection between engine and rear wheel so it would be interesting to know why the change in indicated revs..........Anybody out there with ideas ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Update- First MPG Data

FYI

I filled up on Friday with my first full tank after installing the Fat Duc O2 Manipulator. The setting is 45 degrees lean of full rich (there is no real numbering). It runs great...no surging...starts easier and just "feels" more powerful. I realize that this is a VERY subjective analysis!

My mileage on the first tank was a little under 34 MPG with about 75% being freeway commuting at 85MPH. The rest was LA stop and go type driving.

This is only about 6-7 MPG less than I averaged before installing the device. I have NEVER gotten over 45MPG. I'm not "consciously" aggressive with the throttle but.....it IS still a Ducati. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts