Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning to purchase a 2006 ST3S ABS very soon – hopefully next week. The bike in question does not have the factory luggage and it has the stock exhaust. Thankfully, I’ve located a set of luggage w/mounting brackets and a DP carbon exhaust. Both are fairly reasonably priced. I’m also considering an ECU to complement the exhaust. I have a few questions re the exhaust for which I hope to get help.

1) Many years ago, on my 2006 Supersport 1000DS when I added a Remus carbon exhaust, the Ducati tech said that I could upgrade the exhaust and it would work fine w/the stock ECU. He also said that if I also opened up the airbox that I would have to reflash the ECU. Does this apply to the ST3S also? And, even it if does work w/the stock ECU, would the DP ECU be an improvement?

2) I’ve also found what is, I think, a DP ECU for a reasonable price. The part no. is 96515104B. It’s listed as fitting an ’04 ST3. Would this be the correct item for an ’06 ST3S? I ask as I’ve done a bit of research and found a lot of information re EFI open loop vs. closed loop systems. It seems Ducati went to a closed loop system for the ST series in ’06. So, I’m not sure if this would be the correct DP ECU for the later bikes.

3) Assuming that this ECU does work on the ’06 ST3S, with or without and open airbox, are there any other issues I should consider? That is, is it plug and play? Would it affect the immobilizer system in any way? The bike does come w/the red key so it could be reprogrammed if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here, but I can't imagine an ECU for an open loop system would work on a model with a closed loop system. I know there was an HP increase in '05 for the ST3, as well. I'm not sure what was changed to achieve that, though that could be another variable. And presumably a closed loop system would adjust to different pipes, though I'm not sure how well it does in practice.

Have you considered getting yours flashed specific to your config? I believe Houston Superbikes and Motowheels still does this.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I agree with your thoughts on the two systems. To be honest, I'm not looking for more HP though it never hurts. I would be more interested in drive-ability. If the DP ECU doesn't work with the closed loop system, then Plan A would be to just add the exhaust and keep the stock ECU and see how that works. If not, Plan B would be to reflash a stock ECU assuming there wouldn't be any negative consequences. I think the main advantage of a new or reflashed ECU would be the ability to open up the air box. This is something I can easily live without.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in here, but I can't imagine an ECU for an open loop system would work on a model with a closed loop system. I know there was an HP increase in '05 for the ST3, as well. I'm not sure what was changed to achieve that, though that could be another variable. And presumably a closed loop system would adjust to different pipes, though I'm not sure how well it does in practice.

Have you considered getting yours flashed specific to your config? I believe Houston Superbikes and Motowheels still does this.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I’m planning to purchase a 2006 ST3S ABS very soon – hopefully next week. The bike in question does not have the factory luggage and it has the stock exhaust. Thankfully, I’ve located a set of luggage w/mounting brackets and a DP carbon exhaust. Both are fairly reasonably priced. I’m also considering an ECU to complement the exhaust. I have a few questions re the exhaust for which I hope to get help.

1) Many years ago, on my 2006 Supersport 1000DS when I added a Remus carbon exhaust, the Ducati tech said that I could upgrade the exhaust and it would work fine w/the stock ECU. He also said that if I also opened up the airbox that I would have to reflash the ECU. Does this apply to the ST3S also? And, even it if does work w/the stock ECU, would the DP ECU be an improvement?

2) I’ve also found what is, I think, a DP ECU for a reasonable price. The part no. is 96515104B. It’s listed as fitting an ’04 ST3. Would this be the correct item for an ’06 ST3S? I ask as I’ve done a bit of research and found a lot of information re EFI open loop vs. closed loop systems. It seems Ducati went to a closed loop system for the ST series in ’06. So, I’m not sure if this would be the correct DP ECU for the later bikes.

3) Assuming that this ECU does work on the ’06 ST3S, with or without and open airbox, are there any other issues I should consider? That is, is it plug and play? Would it affect the immobilizer system in any way? The bike does come w/the red key so it could be reprogrammed if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any help
The part number 96515104B is for the early ST3, 04 to 05. It will not work on your 06 ST3S. You could got to AMS Ducati or Rexxer to reflash your stock ECU and put on the Ducati Performance map. For that matter there is a ton of info on this site that will walk you thru the whole process. It would be better to keep your current ECU stock and buy an other ECU to reflash. Open air box and air filter does help when adding the DP ECU.

·
Premium Member
2006 Ducati ST3 S ABS
51 Posts
O
The part number 96515104B is for the early ST3, 04 to 05. It will not work on your 06 ST3S. You could got to AMS Ducati or Rexxer to reflash your stock ECU and put on the Ducati Performance map. For that matter there is a ton of info on this site that will walk you thru the whole process. It would be better to keep your current ECU stock and buy an other ECU to reflash. Open air box and air filter does help when adding the DP ECU.
Other material on this forum has led me to believe that the '06 ST3etc (closed loop) ECM cannot be reflashed; that it must be replaced with a DP unit. Not true?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I just did a Google search on "2006 Ducati ST3S DP ECU" and found many more threads from this site. From what I can gather so far, the stock ECU is not programmable while the DP unit can be. And that the DP ECU would bypass the closed system on a 2006 ST3S. It appears that DP may not have made an ECU for the closed loop system. Regardless, continuing my research.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
2006 Ducati ST3 S ABS
51 Posts
Ok, I found a part no. for the ST3S ABS DP ECU: 96517606B though not sure if it's correct.

I had good luck with a Dobeck Performance units years ago and I have one on the bench right now awaiting installation once I alter the mufflers.

Their unit takes the signal generated by the ECU and modifies it to enrichen the mixture to the degree you tune in. They also have exhaust sniffers for rent at a reasonable charge.

Pilgrim

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
the dobeck is the most basic level shit pretty much, but it can be of benefit. well, it's one step above the air temp sensor manipulators.

all the ecu are reflashable. they're all the same thing, just with different files in them.

the 06> std ecu is closed loop, so the idle trimmer can't be adjusted. the 06> dp ecu is open loop, so the idle trimmer can be adjusted.

the 06> has a linear tps, requiring an electronic reset. 04 - 05 are the old non linear tps.

96517606B is the non abs ecu, and 506B is the abs ecu. you'll know if it's wrong as the speedo will be way off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply belter. It's nice to get some definitive answers. Still haven't got the bike yet but hopefully next week. For now, I think the plan will be to upgrade the exhaust and see how the OEM ECU handles it. If not, then the plan will be to update the ECU and perhaps the air box along w/it. That way the DP should be a drop in and make a re-flash unnecessary.

the dobeck is the most basic level shit pretty much, but it can be of benefit. well, it's one step above the air temp sensor manipulators.

all the ecu are reflashable. they're all the same thing, just with different files in them.

the 06> std ecu is closed loop, so the idle trimmer can't be adjusted. the 06> dp ecu is open loop, so the idle trimmer can be adjusted.

the 06> has a linear tps, requiring an electronic reset. 04 - 05 are the old non linear tps.

96517606B is the non abs ecu, and 506B is the abs ecu. you'll know if it's wrong as the speedo will be way off.

·
Registered
06' ST3
442 Posts
O

Other material on this forum has led me to believe that the '06 ST3etc (closed loop) ECM cannot be reflashed; that it must be replaced with a DP unit. Not true?
This is not true. I had the stock ECU on my 06' reflashed with a DP map by a shop years back when I replaced the pipes and added the open airbox. You do not need to purchase a new ECU that specifically has the DP map on it. Ducati sold the DP kit (CF pipes, open style airbox lid with K&N style air filter, and new ECU with DP map) with a new ECU most likely for simply the convenience of swapping out the original ECU for the DP one rather than forcing the buyer to go get the ECU remapped somewhere. To the OP, if this is your first ST and it has the stock pipes and standard air box, I would highly recommend getting rid of this and getting upgraded pipes like those made by Fast by Ferracci, Spark, or any other supplier that still has these, removing the O2 sensor in the header and closing off the hole with a bung plug (and plugging the wiring harness AMP connector end for the O2 sensor with an AMP plug), replacing your closed airbox and paper air filter with getting the DP open airbox lid and try and find a DP air filter and lastly, have your original ECU remapped for a proper performance map specifically for the exhaust and air intake differences. This will be one of the best upgrades you can do to it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info - thanks. I would like to keep the MPG as high as possible too. Right now I'm watching a couple DP exhausts on eBay. It seems the stock exhaust include a catalytic converter (not sure if this in for US models) so I think an aftermarket exhaust would open things up a lot. So, I plan to start w/that. Can I modify (cut up) the stock airbox to something similar to the DP system as I'm watching one of these on eBay too. It looks pretty straightforward. As far as the rest, I'll talk to my local dealer regarding a reflash and going to an open system. But if it doesn't interfere with the rest of the bike it looks like a good option.

The good news is that it looks like I'll be picking up the new bike on Friday - same day as I sell my Supersport. The bike has very low mileage so I will need to do the cam belts right away and tires soon after. Then the fun will begin.

BTW, I'm in SoCal too - previously in Escondido and now in, at least temporarily, in Cathedral City.

This is not true. I had the stock ECU on my 06' reflashed with a DP map by a shop years back when I replaced the pipes and added the open airbox. You do not need to purchase a new ECU that specifically has the DP map on it. Ducati sold the DP kit (CF pipes, open style airbox lid with K&N style air filter, and new ECU with DP map) with a new ECU most likely for simply the convenience of swapping out the original ECU for the DP one rather than forcing the buyer to go get the ECU remapped somewhere. To the OP, if this is your first ST and it has the stock pipes and standard air box, I would highly recommend getting rid of this and getting upgraded pipes like those made by Fast by Ferracci, Spark, or any other supplier that still has these, removing the O2 sensor in the header and closing off the hole with a bung plug (and plugging the wiring harness AMP connector end for the O2 sensor with an AMP plug), replacing your closed airbox and paper air filter with getting the DP open airbox lid and try and find a DP air filter and lastly, have your original ECU remapped for a proper performance map specifically for the exhaust and air intake differences. This will be one of the best upgrades you can do to it.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
when the st was new there wasn't anyone offering ecu flashing. ducati didn't have the capacity to do it via the mathesis or dds (1) either, so the only option was a replacement ecu. now manufacturer enabled ecu flashing is called "ecu updates", but it's a very locked up process with no end user input or control.

there are now lots of people flashing ecu, so it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Can I modify (cut up) the stock airbox to something similar to the DP system as I'm watching one of these on eBay too.
Definitely. Though lots of folks here didn't care for the increased induction noise of the open air box. You might try running it for a bit with the lid removed to see if it bothers you before you fully commit.

·
Registered
06' ST3
442 Posts
Good info - thanks. I would like to keep the MPG as high as possible too. Right now I'm watching a couple DP exhausts on eBay. It seems the stock exhaust include a catalytic converter (not sure if this in for US models) so I think an aftermarket exhaust would open things up a lot. So, I plan to start w/that. Can I modify (cut up) the stock airbox to something similar to the DP system as I'm watching one of these on eBay too. It looks pretty straightforward. As far as the rest, I'll talk to my local dealer regarding a reflash and going to an open system. But if it doesn't interfere with the rest of the bike it looks like a good option.

The good news is that it looks like I'll be picking up the new bike on Friday - same day as I sell my Supersport. The bike has very low mileage so I will need to do the cam belts right away and tires soon after. Then the fun will begin.

BTW, I'm in SoCal too - previously in Escondido and now in, at least temporarily, in Cathedral City.
Yes, I have seen it where the top half of the airbox is cut off and I've seen others with large holes cut in. The DP open lid is a nice, clean look but those may be hard to find these days. In addition to doing the belts and tires right away, you might check the condition of the internals of the fuel tank (submersible fuel hose, filter, pump, check for rust). You mention the bike has low mileage but if it was stored with fuel in the tank during long periods of sitting unused, you might have some issues there. Otherwise, best of luck on getting your ST. You'll enjoy it! And yes, I'm in Carlsbad ...Escondido is just east down the 78 from me. Cathedral City is nice, minus the extreme heat in the summer but you've got lots of good riding spots out that way ...San Jacinto mountains, Big Bear, Angeles National Forest. I'm always up for a ride in those places but my bike is in pieces at the moment. Started taking it down back in the winter of 2019/2020 for some maintenance and upgrades at the same time we started a construction project at our house. Then Covid hit and I started working from home full-time, my job became crazy busy, and at the same time I ended up taking on all of the finish work for the construction project so the bike sat in pieces and it's still in that state. Hoping to get it all pulled back together around the Christmas break here within the month.

Definitely. Though lots of folks here didn't care for the increased induction noise of the open air box. You might try running it for a bit with the lid removed to see if it bothers you before you fully commit.
Oh, that's interesting. When I first rode after doing the airbox mod, I was like, wow that sounds great. I love the snorting sound it makes. But I could see why others may not like it.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Woohoo! This discussion is soon to be going from the theoretical to the reality. I just sold my Supersport and have cash in hand to complete my purchase of a 2006 ST3S ABS. I should have the bike by the end of next week. Can't wait. The cool thing is that the SS was also a 2006 so both have the red frame/black wheels setup which I really like. And somewhat similar engines. Even better, though the SS only had about 12,000 miles on it, the ST3S is at <4,000 mi. Also cool that I still have another 2006 SS1000DS w/<4,000 miles on it. It may be for sale though if I really like the ST. Now to get that 998 running.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
06' ST3
442 Posts
Woohoo! This discussion is soon to be going from the theoretical to the reality. I just sold my Supersport and have cash in hand to complete my purchase of a 2006 ST3S ABS. I should have the bike by the end of next week. Can't wait. The cool thing is that the SS was also a 2006 so both have the red frame/black wheels setup which I really like. And somewhat similar engines. Even better, though the SS only had about 12,000 miles on it, the ST3S is at <4,000 mi. Also cool that I still have another 2006 SS1000DS w/<4,000 miles on it. It may be for sale though if I really like the ST. Now to get that 998 running.

View attachment 1021736
Nice, looks stock for the most part, at least from what I can see so it's time for mod city. A super low mileage ST is probably like finding a unicorn! One thing you might want to check before you hand over the cash for this one is that the front and rear engine mount bolts are both snug and there are no signs of even hairline cracks (or worse, larger cracking) where they travel through the engine case. Loose engine mount bolts on these was a common issue that cost some people dearly in terms of having to replace their engines. If those bolts loosen up and you hit even a moderate bump or pothole in the road, a jolt that could cause the engine to shift even slightly, that case will crack and then the engine would need to be repaired if it can or replaced in a worse case scenario. Google this issue and you will find an absolute treasure trove of information on the topic. I check my bolts for tightness every time I service my bike and some people have opted for upgraded mount bolts, which can still be sourced today. Another minor issue these bikes have is the covers for the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs are shit ...crap pot metal and they corrode badly. You might want or need to replace those if they look bad but don't replace with OE ones. Find some better alternative out there. And then get those pipes upgraded ...those things are like massive boat anchors, very heavy and ugly IMO. And lastly, these bikes chew through batteries frequently so if this bike doesn't already have one, add a charging pig tail to your battery and keep it on a charger in store mode whenever not in use (or you can charge through the BMW style port on the left side of the seat area). The pig tail will let you charge without having to remove the lower right fairing. Keep it on the charger/BMS full-time unless you are riding. I've pissed through so many batteries before keeping mine on charge 24/7. Good luck with your new ride!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the motor mounts as I've not heard anything about these.
Desmo Times has billet reservoir covers available - somewhat expensive but nice. And I like to order from them if I can.
I'm already looking at new slip-ons. It appears there are more than a few available on eBay.
Do the USA bike have catalytic converters in the exhaust? I heard the 2006 bike w/the closed loop system have them though it may be an European only thing.
I'm also researching (obviously) ECU updates and maybe an open airbox. I will wait on those until I see how it runs w/exhaust only.
I have/had multiple Supersports and always keep them on a tender.
I do now have a lithium (Antigravity) battery that I've not installed yet so will likely go in the ST.
I've bought a few batteries from Chrome Battery and like them. They are around $40 but are often discounted.

Nice, looks stock for the most part, at least from what I can see so it's time for mod city. A super low mileage ST is probably like finding a unicorn! One thing you might want to check before you hand over the cash for this one is that the front and rear engine mount bolts are both snug and there are no signs of even hairline cracks (or worse, larger cracking) where they travel through the engine case. Loose engine mount bolts on these was a common issue that cost some people dearly in terms of having to replace their engines. If those bolts loosen up and you hit even a moderate bump or pothole in the road, a jolt that could cause the engine to shift even slightly, that case will crack and then the engine would need to be repaired if it can or replaced in a worse case scenario. Google this issue and you will find an absolute treasure trove of information on the topic. I check my bolts for tightness every time I service my bike and some people have opted for upgraded mount bolts, which can still be sourced today. Another minor issue these bikes have is the covers for the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs are shit ...crap pot metal and they corrode badly. You might want or need to replace those if they look bad but don't replace with OE ones. Find some better alternative out there. And then get those pipes upgraded ...those things are like massive boat anchors, very heavy and ugly IMO. And lastly, these bikes chew through batteries frequently so if this bike doesn't already have one, add a charging pig tail to your battery and keep it on a charger in store mode whenever not in use (or you can charge through the BMW style port on the left side of the seat area). The pig tail will let you charge without having to remove the lower right fairing. Keep it on the charger/BMS full-time unless you are riding. I've pissed through so many batteries before keeping mine on charge 24/7. Good luck with your new ride!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,843 Posts
Be VERY careful when installing a battery on the ST3. The ECU is susceptible to damage if the battery terminals are reversed. You don't even have to turn the bike on. Check three times to make sure the positive post will be connected to the positive cable. You have been warned!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts