Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm not comparing the ST to any BMW, and I'm really not complaining <g>... Just observing that if you're in a bunch of bikes and you ride over a rough road at 15-20 mph in a small town, it's less fun than being out on the open road. Just a passing thought about what the bike's really good at and what it's not.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just to keep the thread alive...:)

I had gotten pretty accustomed to my abrupt throttle, but after my ride this weekend and reading this thread, I'll be getting one for my 03 ST4s. I rode a rough road with bad traction and a lot of twisties this weekend (the road to Tortilla Flats for any of you AZ riders). It was the first time I've ridden it with my Duc, and the touchy throttle combined with the slow speeds, bumpy road, and crappy traction made it not much fun. I've ridden it on my Triumph Sprint and it wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Oy!

Is this post still going on? I must admit I'm flattered and pleased that I wasn't the only one who hated the abrupt throttle on the ST.

George. In Dallas.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought one for my 03 ST4S. I am hoping the inner sleeve of the tamer will be smoother turning than a whole nylon sleeve running on metal bar.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Put one on my 2003 ST4s several years back (can't quite recall, maybe 4?), but it smooths out the lower rev range, especially on take-offs and in traffic. Highly recommended. There is a DIY fix out there that one of the members developed prior to the G2 hitting the market, but at about $80 (or less) for the retail unit, it wasn't worth my time to reinvent the wheel.

Be aware that if you run a Throttlemeister with it, as I do, you need a special adapter for the Throttlemeister, but it's not a big deal to install.

Ron

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did the DIY mod on a used throttle tube I had and it was about a 30 minute job. Real simple and easy to do with a sharp Exacto knife. All you are doing is carving a deeper progressive profile into the area where the cable initially winds onto the tube as you first begin to twist the throttle open from idle.

You also have to cut a recess closer to the center of the diameter of the tube to anchor the cable end. This reduces the cable pull per degree of rotation just off idle, it works great

The attached document shows what someone made from brass to add a different cam profile onto a tube but it does the same thing.

This really smooths out the just off idle throttle without altering response anywhere else.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I put one on my ST3 within weeks of purchase in 2011.

Since C-simian mentioned it, I recall removing maybe 1/4 inch or so from the end to allow the Throttlemeister to work properly.

Joe

101 - 108 of 108 Posts