Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow Ducatista's,

I have been looking for a Hyper for the last few months. During my search I came across a 2006 S4R which I can't stop thinking about. Now, I am not asking for a comparison between the 2 so let's delete Hyper from the convo.

I know very little about the type of ride a Monster is and I was wondering if you all could gimme an idea of the S4R's characteristics. I've read reviews online but your collective opinions will help me...a lot.

I've got about 15 years experience and would use the ride to commute and weekend jaunts. I'm 5'10" at 160lbs. The ergonomics of the ride feel solid and comfortable but I have not taken a test ride...yet.

Also, what do you think of the price (from a colleague) for a 2006 S4R with an Arrow Steering Damper and 2800 clicks on the clock for $7900.00.

Any and all things you want to tell me about this ride are most welcome...

Thanks and ride safely!

-J

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I got a '08 S4R with full DP Termi kit and in the 8 months I have had it, I have had 3 lightbulb failures. That is all.

This baby has waayy too much power, but I am in love with it. The engine is a real pussycat when you need to crawl through traffic, and it roars like a Monster whenever you twist that throttle (just make sure there's lots of space in front of you).

It attracts a lot of attention. Those curly headers of the Termi kit just works.

Totally hapy with this motorcycle toy:D:D:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have over 35 years of riding experience, and I just bought an '06 S4R with only 1,100 miles on it. It has the Termignoni slip-ons/ECU/airbox kit. I wasn't looking for a Monster, but after 2 weeks of ownership, I've already put 1200 miles on it. It is almost exactly what I want - only I didn't know that going-in. I had compiled a "short list" consisting of;
Aprilia Tuono
Aprilia Dorsoduro
Buell 1125 R or CR
Ducati Multistrada
Ducati S2R 1000
Triumph Speed Triple
Triumph Street Triple

Notice that the S4R was missing from the list? Big mistake, but thankfully rectified.

I had an '04 Multistrada for a little over a year. I put nearly 20,000 miles on it and had few complaints;
*George Jetson sounding stock exhaust
*Tank bulges wreaked havoc on my left knee (i'm 6' with a 32" inseam and my knees hit the wrong place on the tank - this was the primary reason for selling it)
*Too cold-blooded to ride in cooler weather or in rain at any temperature

If you are/were considering a Hypermotard (on the top of my list - 'till I rode it on the freeway) this will satisfy most of your hooligan urges. It has a BOATLOAD of top-end, unlike the 2V air cooled DS equipped rides, and is pretty easy to ride slow if need be. I'm getting 38-45mpg.

I find it a bit softly sprung for my current burdonsome weight of 220lb, but, as the summer progresses, and I loose some of that extra tonnage, I think it will be OK with a 180lb rider. It's not as sporty as a Tuono, not as top-end powerful as a Speed Triple, but there's something special about the whole package - it seems to have great personal feedback from both engine and suspension, and aesthetically, it beats them all. I'm eagerly anticipating the next track day where I'll be able to really test its limits.

$8K is not a bad price for such an accommodating ride - remember, this thing had an MSRP of $13,499 when new. If you add-in freight, dealer prep, tax, title, and license, it was probably over $15K out the door. So you're getting it for almost HALF PRICE!

BTW: is it the cool Dan Gurney Blue and White one?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Whoops! I responded to your title of S4R, but noticed you mentioned S2R in the posting. Same cold-bloodedness in the MS2R as the Multistrada, but more low-end than the S4R. It was the one I wanted...'till I ended-up with the S4R.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, you had it right - I am talking about an '06 S4R...I don't think I mentioned S2 anywhere.

No, it's not Blue & White but rather Red...exactly like yours.

Thanks for the detailed post. Much appreciated!!

-J

·
Registered
94 Posts
whippersnapper: Nice write-up.

I also love the feedback the Monsters - and for that matter, all Ducatis - give, much like horseback riding; albeit a VERY fast horse.

It's easy to ride sedately around town and still get some thrills from the pulsating motor, rumbling exhaust, and mechanical staccato of the clutch.

Virtually every time I stop to fill the tank (with such a small capacity, it's about every other day) there is someone admiring the bike. I live in North Texas where "The Motor Company" is King, Queen, and Jack, yet still there is always praise from the crowd on a design well executed. Where the Harley crowd can't stomach a "rice burner" they do give a nod to Italian or British creations. And the Monster gets huge kudos from just about every crowd; Cruisers, Tourers, Sportbikers, Scooterists (yes, Scooterists seem to really be drawn to the Monster), and non-bikers as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Enquiring minds need to know...

Did you spring for the monster?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts