Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
as a new owner of M620, I have a question that bothers me a little. Owners manual says that all chain adjustment should be done on a side stand. First searching for the tightest spot, than setting proper tension. As shown on the picture below (which is not in a greate resolution) I assume, that I should measure the distance from the bottom part of the chain when it is pushed down to the top part of the chain when it's pushed up (ofc in the center between two sprockets). Im I correct? Not from the center of links nor from top to top?

When it comes to measurement and adjustment, would it be right using rear (swingarm) stand instead of side stand? It would be a lot easier and faster.

Are those numbers correct? 25-27mm seems to me a little too stiff, so I've set my chain at about 30-32mm.

Thanks for your answers.

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
The diagram hints as to why the chain is to be adjusted on the side stand. The swingarm pivot point is not inline with the sprocket, so as the swingarm travels through its arc, the chain tightens. This measurement allows for enough slack at throughout the range of travel.

That being said, do it once on the side stand. Then put the bike on the center stand and measure the free play...that will be your target measurement in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for reply, but mu question was about rear service stand, that lifts up rear of the bike under the swingarm not center stand (M620 doesn't have one, only side stand).

As I think about side stand vs rear stand, there should be no difference in chain tension since in both situations swingarm is loaded with the same weight. Of course in first situation bike will be leaned on the left side with rear weel on the ground, but with wheel in the air, with bike sitting on a swingarm stand tension should match, am I wrong?

How about my two other questions? :)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,644 Posts
Thx for reply, but mu question was about rear service stand, that lifts up rear of the bike under the swingarm not center stand (M620 doesn't have one, only side stand).
View attachment 975446
As I think about side stand vs rear stand, there should be no difference in chain tension since in both situations swingarm is loaded with the same weight. Of course in first situation bike will be leaned on the left side with rear weel on the ground, but with wheel in the air, with bike sitting on a swingarm stand tension should match, am I wrong?

How about my two other questions? :)

Thanks!
I see where you're coming from! Yes, I would bet the chain measurement to be the same (or very close) with either the axel stand or side stand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, so it should be as I thought.

My second question is, how should I measure chain tension? I assume second option is correct (this is what I probably see in the manual picture), but it causes the chain to be tighter by approx. 1cm than setting "the same" chain tension using method 1. This is really huge difference, since chain should be set at 25 to 27mm.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
there will, varying with model and rear spring/setup, be some change from side stand to rear stand in rear suspension position and therefore chain tension.

i always do tension sitting on the bike, as it gets it much closer to the tightest position. put it on the rear stand or have someone hold it up. i lean across the seat and pull against the stand to lower it even more. or get someone else to sit on it as well.

if you want to get really carried away, support the bike under the engine and disconnect one of the suspension pivots so you can move the wheel through its travel and find the tightest point of the chain. set it there, then refit stuff and see what chain movement you get on side or rear stand. then you'll know the reference as you're making it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts