Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's a teaser.

Bought this bike crashed, it was crashed on the track. 2006 999S (black, the fast color).

I've gone through the entire bike, all electrical, all mechanical. Everything seems great, runs like a raped-ape, (775 original miles) BUT, I have no power to the headlight.
Checked fuses, checked bulbs, harness, yet the only front light I have is for the momentary high beam flash, on the left handlebar..

What else can I check?????? Is there a special switch that turns off the headlights for track days?????

Thanks in advance
Mark

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
check to see if you are getting voltage at the headlight harness plugs.
if you are not getting any voltage at the plugs, work backwards to find where the break is.
did you check the light bulbs?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulbs were the first thing, then fuses, harness in tact. I was looking to see if there is a headlight cut-out built in to the dash panel, a series of buttons or something. Sure there is no power to the headlight bulb, as expected.

As everything else works including the momentary high beam, so power is getting to the headlight assy. for actuating the beam.

Does the headlight stay off until the bike starts? If so maybe something is telling the the lights that engine IS NOT running????

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does the headlight stay off until the bike starts? If so maybe something is telling the the lights that engine IS NOT running????
On my 05 999, the headlight turns on for about a minute when the key is turned to the on position. If after a minute, the bike is not started, the headlight automatically switches off.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look for the relay....................

Bulbs were the first thing, then fuses, harness in tact. I was looking to see if there is a headlight cut-out built in to the dash panel, a series of buttons or something. Sure there is no power to the headlight bulb, as expected.

As everything else works including the momentary high beam, so power is getting to the headlight assy. for actuating the beam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having this exact same problem. I just replaced the entire hardness on the bike and the headlight has will not turn on at any point. The higher beam leam will work though on the left handle bar when i press the pass button.

I am also continiously popping one 7.5 fuse on the headlight assembly.

Mine is an 05 999

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
relays can do strange things, change it out.....
I am having this exact same problem. I just replaced the entire hardness on the bike and the headlight has will not turn on at any point. The higher beam leam will work though on the left handle bar when i press the pass button.

I am also continiously popping one 7.5 fuse on the headlight assembly.

Mine is an 05 999

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting at the Relay

Remove front fairing
Lossen right side air intake scoop at the front, below the fuse box
You will see a little black tittie sticking out of the headlight bucket below the fuses
Push the tittie inwards toward the inside of the bucket
Once through reach underneath-inside the bucket and pull gently on a very small harness
Attached is a small relay 1/2" x 1" x 1"

There ya go!

Cheers,
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts