Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am new to this I’m not good at navigating websites. The problem with my bike is last week I was going at highway speeds the engine cut out for maybe four seconds, I left it in gear and it came back to life and ran fine for two more days proximately 100 miles. Two days later it quit running at highway speed’s it will not restart. Any ideas where the problem might lie? Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,570 Posts
You should add your bike details to your signature line. It'll help in these situations. What year is it, what model, etc...

Anyway...I'd check the fuel pump relay to start with.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
First thing I'd check - electrical. Check battery terminals, check plug wires, look for scuffed/damaged wires that could be shorting to ground... stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump in the tank when you turn on the key? If not my money is on the fuel pump harness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should add your bike details to your signature line. It'll help in these situations. What year is it, what model, etc...

Anyway...I'd check the fuel pump relay to start with.
OK, thank you for your response. Thought the details were already out there. 2006 multi-Strada 1000. Is there more information I should throw out?
Can you hear the fuel pump in the tank when you turn on the key? If not my money is on the fuel pump harness.
What is the best way to check the fuel pump harness? Disconnect both ends of it and I’m out all the wires? Is that what you’re thinking? I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
288 Posts
OK, thank you for your response. Thought the details were already out there. 2006 multi-Strada 1000. Is there more information I should throw out?

What is the best way to check the fuel pump harness? Disconnect both ends of it and I’m out all the wires? Is that what you’re thinking? I appreciate your help!
When you reply, you need to answer the questions so people can help you diagnose the problem.
Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on?

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
If you disconnect the pump harness from the main harness, use a volt meter to see if you have 12vdc on one of the larger gauge wires (red IIRC) . You also can use jumper wires to now power the fuel pump separate of the harness by running a wire from positive battery terminal to the large red wire (pump side, main harness disconnected) and a ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the larger black wires in the pump harness. See if you hear the pump spin, if you do the bump may be fine but be sure to move the wires around as you likely have a intermittent connection.

WARNING! do NOT run power down the main harness ground wires or you will damage your ecu!

If you are not comfortable doing the test get a pro to check it out for you. I just diagnosed a multi 620 with the same problem in under 1/2 hour so if you do pay for it you should not pay much. since yours is acting intermittently you can cycle the key and listen while wiggling your pump harness listening to see if it starts and stops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks SO MUCH for your help! Once I verified spark and tested the fuel pump relay I wasn’t sure what to do next. I’ll follow the steps you outlined for me later today and let you know what I find. Hoping you have a great day!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you disconnect the pump harness from the main harness, use a volt meter to see if you have 12vdc on one of the larger gauge wires (red IIRC) . You also can use jumper wires to now power the fuel pump separate of the harness by running a wire from positive battery terminal to the large red wire (pump side, main harness disconnected) and a ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the larger black wires in the pump harness. See if you hear the pump spin, if you do the bump may be fine but be sure to move the wires around as you likely have a intermittent connection.

WARNING! do NOT run power down the main harness ground wires or you will damage your ecu!

If you are not comfortable doing the test get a pro to check it out for you. I just diagnosed a multi 620 with the same problem in under 1/2 hour so if you do pay for it you should not pay much. since yours is acting intermittently you can cycle the key and listen while wiggling your pump harness listening to see if it starts and stops.
Thank you so much for your help with this! I have tested the pump by jumping from the battery directly to the pump harness plug and nothing I clipped the plug off and tested it directly to the wires coming from the pump and still nothing. Does that mean the pump assembly is toast? Also I tested to see if I had 12 V coming from the wire harness with the key on I read 0 V. Not sure what the problems are here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for your help with this! I have tested the pump by jumping from the battery directly to the pump harness plug and nothing I clipped the plug off and tested it directly to the wires coming from the pump and still nothing. Does that mean the pump assembly is toast? Also I tested to see if I had 12 V coming from the wire harness with the key on I read 0 V. Not sure what the problems are here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts