Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oberon Slave cylinder
New Barnett's Clutch Pack
OEM levers
Aluminum Pressure Plate
Open Clutch Cover

The other day I washed the bike the other day, and yes I made sure to avoid it the clutch area but I'm sure some water got in.

Just to be precaution I leaned the bike to get some of the water out, started it up and I didn't have any problems.

5 Days later I'm about to go ride and I let it warm up a bit like usual and when I'm ready to go I shift into 1st with the clutch pressed in, the bike lurges forward and then stalls. I did it a couple times but the same thing, so the clutch isn't disengaging the trans from the motor. I even looked down and i see the pressure plate moving so I'm slightly stumped

Does anyone have input? I've looked around but I haven't gotten a clear definite answer.

All input is appreciated, even the sassy ones as long as you help!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Two questions:

You didn't say everything worked fine after the new Barnett clutch pack install, or how recently that new pack was installed. So ...?

I know this sounds simplistic, but are you sure this isn't a sidestand cutoff switch issue? If you attempt to ride off in first with the stand down, what happens is what you describe. Maybe the switch was marginal and gave up the ghost with that washing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you TheSouthAfrican, I will bleed the system again.

EagleRider,

It started out in March, one day the clutch just felt weird, like the window of engagement got significantly shorter.

I started with replacing the clutch pack, but that didn't change anything. Then figured it was the slave cylinder and then changed that. I would say ~400 miles?

Now I don't remember exactly how the clutch felt before it went to shit, but after replacing everything, it feels better then it was before (window of engagement was better).

I would figure the kickstand thing, I actually looked down to see if the kickstand was up or not, cause I have done that a couple of times. All these bikes have it, this is my third bike but first Ducati.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you TheSouthAfrican, I will bleed the system again.

EagleRider,

It started out in March, one day the clutch just felt weird, like the window of engagement got significantly shorter.

I started with replacing the clutch pack, but that didn't change anything. Then figured it was the slave cylinder and then changed that. I would say ~400 miles?

Now I don't remember exactly how the clutch felt before it went to shit, but after replacing everything, it feels better then it was before (window of engagement was better).

I would figure the kickstand thing, I actually looked down to see if the kickstand was up or not, cause I have done that a couple of times. All these bikes have it, this is my third bike but first Ducati.
Guessing its the stock lines? Consider swapping out for that galfer set up?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Well Streets, that's a different story. Now you say this problem came on gradually over time, and was the reason you replaced the clutch pack. Can't be the side stand thing then. TSA's likely right then - for some reason Ducati dry clutches collect air in the system. My SP's system needed bleeding at 1000 miles!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look into the galfer setup.

One thing I noticed was my lever was set to "0" which is closest to the handle bar, I turned it a few times. I don't have a big hand but I will bleed the system with the lever further away. Bigger stroke = potentially more air out? lol

I was actually thinking about fixing this problem, selling the bike and stepping up to a liter bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i know this sounds simplistic, but are you sure this isn't a sidestand cutoff switch issue? If you attempt to ride off in first with the stand down, what happens is what you describe. Maybe the switch was marginal and gave up the ghost with that washing?
+1

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,706 Posts
Just check the clutch drum centre nut isn't backing off and letting the whole assemble move out and away from the push rod.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Easy Fix!! Some of the friction plates are "glued" to steel plates. This a typical problem with Barnett clutches, the friction material they're using is water soluble. When they get wet the friction surface slightly dissolves in the water and when it dries it acts like a glue and sticks the friction to the steel disc. To solve the problem pull the clutch cover, while holding the clutch lever down use wide blade screwdriver to separate the frictions from the steels. When you think you got it put the bike in gear, while holding down the lever rock the bike forward and backward. You'll know when when you got it when when it rolls freely.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Easy Fix!! Some of the friction plates are "glued" to steel plates. This a typical problem with Barnett clutches, the friction material they're using is water soluble. When they get wet the friction surface slightly dissolves in the water and when it dries it acts like a glue and sticks the friction to the steel disc. To solve the problem pull the clutch cover, while holding the clutch lever down use wide blade screwdriver to separate the frictions from the steels. When you think you got it put the bike in gear, while holding down the lever rock the bike forward and backward. You'll know when when you got it when when it rolls freely.
This is great information, nice to know for the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pjonte,

I wish i came on here before I took the whole pack out lol

What you are stating is exactly what I saw. Starting from the center of the bike and going out, the first couple friction plates were "glued" to the steel plates. Some of them were pretty tight together while others were easily pulled apart. I'm just going to scuff the steel plates lightly, put them back together and I should be good.

Thank god this whole week is going to be 70+ here in MI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts