Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently bought a 2006 749 that was a theft recovery bike. I bought the bike originally for parts but am now thinking of getting it going again as it’s not far from being a running riding bike. The bike is missing the instrument cluster and ignition. Which means I have no clue what the mileage is the previous owner has no clue what the mileage is and the salvage title is mileage exempt. The only reason I am really worried about the mileage is to know when to expect a valve adjustment. I don’t want to tear the bike and heads apart to find out that all the valves are in spec and still not know when to open it back up and take a look again. Do you guys have any tips or tricks for figuring out the mileage? I thought I read in a thread that possibly the ecu stores the mileage?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
service info.

try asking the local duc dealer to check the VIN for recalls.they may show a service record on file.sometimes that dealer will pass the info if you ask.good luck.if no luck tear it down & chalk it up as a learning exp.:|

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! That’s a good idea! Just talked to a friend of mine that has his dealer license. He says he has a way of looking up the mileage from the last state motorcycle inspection it would have had from the VIN number

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,370 Posts
Knowing the mileage doesn't mean that it is or isn't current with service. If you want to make sure you're good, do the service now. You have no way of knowing whether or not service is current unless it was done at a dealer and they tell you.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You don’t have to really “tear” down the heads to check the valve play.
It’s a 30min job and I would do it anyways. As previously mentioned, knowledge of the mileage doesn’t imply that the valves have been checked nor adjusted in the past.
YouTube the 749/999 valve check and you will see it’s a easy job, at least to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve done the valves myself on my 999. To pull the covers off the heads I had to pull the radiator and gas tank. My fear is that I tear it apart to check the valves and if they are within spec how do I know when to tear it down again? If they are with in spec do I let it go another 6,000 miles if they bike has 4,000 miles on it?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,370 Posts
If they are with in spec do I let it go another 6,000 miles if they bike has 4,000 miles on it?
I would. As long as it's all in spec at the time of the inspection and close to your target figures, it's good for another 6200 miles from that point. If they're close to being out of spec, you might want to shorten up that interval somewhat. If they're out of spec, do the full job and you just zeroed the clock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts