Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a 2006 800ss and wanted to research some of the specifications. While older Ducs can be found on ducati.com, they do not have the specifiations for the 06 800ss. Questions such as swingarm metal, adjustable forks, etc. are of interest.

Does anyone know where I can find the complete specifications for a 2006 800ss?

Thank you kindly

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
They are identical to the '04-'05 800. The only difference (and I think this started with the '05??) is the red frame/black wheels color combo. If you can find the '05 specs on the Ducati site archives or something, you're in business.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, it is exactly what I was looking for. Though I can not tell if the forks are fully adjustable.

The local dealer has one with about 700 miles for about $7k. I have not seen it yet nor do I know if it has any accessories.

I am coming from owning two Multistradas, the last of which was just totaled thanks to a driver under the influence. The 800ss will be the bike to tool around and more specifically for track usage. With a dry weight of about 380, this looks to be like a nice bang for the buck.

While I had the ohlins version of the Multi, it would be nice to have a Ducati with a correctly working fuel gauge, clock and speedometer (or am i just clicking my heels here?)

Thanks again

·
Registered
862 Posts
rummaggio said:
Thank you, it is exactly what I was looking for. Though I can not tell if the forks are fully adjustable.

The local dealer has one with about 700 miles for about $7k. I have not seen it yet nor do I know if it has any accessories.

I am coming from owning two Multistradas, the last of which was just totaled thanks to a driver under the influence. The 800ss will be the bike to tool around and more specifically for track usage. With a dry weight of about 380, this looks to be like a nice bang for the buck.

While I had the ohlins version of the Multi, it would be nice to have a Ducati with a correctly working fuel gauge, clock and speedometer (or am i just clicking my heels here?)

Thanks again
Forks are NOT adjustable on any 800s, excepting the 2003.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Well, if I may...if you are leaning toward the "more specifically for track useage" then you should consder shopping for a nice, clean, 749! If you have a MS for the street a 749 track bike would be a very nice addition. I've done both on the street and on the track and as much as I love my SS (sorry Pete...my wife's), there's still no comparison to that 749. Especially on the track. Just something to think about. I haven't shopped around but I bet you can find some smokin deals right now. Quite a few people will be trying to unload them to get an 848 in the near future.

No...mine's not for sale!! :)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
galaxy said:
I've done both on the street and on the track and as much as I love my SS (sorry Pete...my wife's), there's still no comparison to that 749.
No offense taken mate.

I am reminded, though, that we have not seen any recent pictures of her and, as many of us older riders are forced to live vicariously through you, perhaps you could see fit...?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh, the 749. I thought about it as the first option but my budget keeps it out of reach. Anything that is a non-salvage seems to be in the $9k and up range. I suppose that as the 848 are delivered, the 749 prices will drop.

It looks like there is about a 55lb difference between the 800ss and the 749. I like that...

Thanks for all your help and please keep the comments coming. I am new to the supersport/superbike side and appreciate the guidance.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have read some opinions that the 749 is more comfortable and better handling thatn the 748. How does the 800ss compare to these?

(thanks for letting me ask the track newbie questions)

·
Registered
379 Posts
The 800 is more comfortable than the 748. I have both. Better handling is a matter of opinion - I've beaten 999's on my 800 on a regular basis with half the horsepower. My 800 race bike is the finest handling bike I've ridden.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI.

I recently updated and corrected a Wiki entry re. the 800ss. I am intending to edit it more in the near future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_800SS

800ss rocks :D
Fantastic! Many thanks for your efforts above!

The 803 is my favorite Ducati motor, first (& only) sampled in an S2R. The 803 balance of smoothness, power to weight, & reciprocating mass seems second only to BMW's too-new & costly F800 (DOHC 8-valve liquid-cooled horizontal twin).

I considered installing fully adjustable forks on an S2R or M800, but now an '03 SS800 seems closest to my special needs.

Thanks again for the insight!

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
If you can find one the 03 800 was a SS and not a sport so it had fully adjustable showa forks an aluminum swingarm (the pretty one) and may have had an ohlins shock.
04 and newer were sport spec. steel swingarm, non-adjustable forks Marzzocci I belive) and a sachs shock.

If you pick up the 06 there is a board member that has a set of SS showas fully adjustables for sale. A direct swap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts