Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cheers all,
I’ve recently purchased an SS1000DS. I’m in the process of bringing it to a solid maintenance baseline as it came with no maintenance history.
As of today I will be doing the following:

-Replace clutch pack
-Replace air filter
-Replace F/R brake pads
-Flush and renew F/R brake fluids
-Flush and renew clutch fluid
-Replace entire driveline with 15/41 sprockets and 520 chain upgrade
-Remove HID lighting/ballast/harness assembly(unneeded as bike will not be ridden at night)
-Replace belts
-Replace tensioner/bearings
-Replace belt idler bearings
-Full frame/swingarm/fork inspections
-Adjust timing
-Adjust/Check valves/shims/collets

These are only the first steps to get the bike to a known baseline for me to work on it in the future. I’ll have many questions as I go forward.

Thanks,
Don

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
My thoughts

Cheers all,
I’ve recently purchased an SS1000DS. I’m in the process of bringing it to a solid maintenance baseline as it came with no maintenance history.
As of today I will be doing the following:

-Replace clutch pack
I would check first before sinking $
-Replace air filter
Wise
-Replace F/R brake pads
I would check first
-Flush and renew F/R brake fluids
Wise
-Flush and renew clutch fluid
Wise
-Replace entire driveline with 15/41 sprockets and 520 chain upgrade
I would check sprockets and chain first and I think the SS range already uses 520. My 900SS certainly does.
-Remove HID lighting/ballast/harness assembly(unneeded as bike will not be ridden at night)
No real comment as OEM can function quite well with slave relays and wiring - not going to debate this at all.
-Replace belts
Wise
-Replace tensioner/bearings
-Replace belt idler bearings
-Full frame/swingarm/fork inspections
-Adjust timing
What timing? It is all via the ECU
-Adjust/Check valves/shims/collets
Wise

These are only the first steps to get the bike to a known baseline for me to work on it in the future. I’ll have many questions as I go forward.

Thanks,
Don

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Punch, the chain is being replacd due to rust and links kinking. With a new chain i ALWAYS change the sprockets. The brake pads are being replaced because it gives me a new starting point, and as ill be tracking the bike i want a pad that i know and trust.
As to timing, i mean the pulley and crank marks after belt change. Make sure they check okay. Clutch pack was toast. No cover, rusted and worn. No hesitation, its gone!

Cheers,
Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts