Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My closest Ducati dealer has some new 2005 ST3's left over and priced at $10,900. The new (non s) 2006 ST3's are $12,495. Is there enough difference to make the $1,500 extra well spent, or is the deal of the two the 05? I'm not sure how much wiggle room they have in the 06's, or if they would come down any further on the 05's. I'd sure appreciate knowing your thoughts and advice.

I looked at the nada guide for a used 05, and full retail is around $10,200, so what they're asking for the new 05 seems in line. In looking through Cycletrader, it looks like most of the dealers are advertising the 05's for similar prices.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was looking for a new '05 Silver in the Northeast. I only found two and bought one. If you want Silver you need to buy an '05. The only difference I've heard about (and it's not necessarily true) is that the '06 EFI uses a closed loop with an O2 sensor but the '05 does not. I have not heard any complaints about the '05 EFI so this might be just to comply with future emmisions requirements. It might not be a big deal but then again it might. Anybody know the real answer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read something about the 06 now meeting the future Euro3 standards or something. If that is the only difference, it's probably worth saving the $1,500 and getting the 05.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I have owned both 2005 ST3 (unfortunately totaled) and recently purchased the 2006 ST3s w ABS - now 1000ks or 600 miles old.

The ST3s definitely has better suspension, and comes set a little high in the rear, so turns a little sharper. Tyres on the 2006 are Battleaxe, tyres on the 2005 were Pilot Roads - maybe this also affects the handling.

Haven't tried out the ABS yet - so the jury is still out.

There is a problem with the injection on the 2006 - mine hunts/surges significantly below 5000rpm and the exhaust pops on a constant or trailing throttle. I am not the only one with this problem - go to www.bikez.com - apparently this is something to do with the oxygen sensor now fitted on the exhaust.

If I had the 2005 engine in this bike I would be extremely happy!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I have a 05. If I was to change I would get the 06 ST3s w/the better suspension & antilock braeks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also had a '05 ST3 and totalled it. Now have 600 miles on my '06 ST3s. The suspension is a clear upgrade, and the abs will be nice if I ever need it. Unless both the abs and suspension are important, I'd go with the '05. You could put some $ into the suspension and still come out ahead.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was quoted $11,000 for a new (leftover & silver) 2005 ST3.

Wouldn't you think that is a decent price? I'm sure there are some that were able to luck up on a better deal...maybe a few $100 less...but???

Anyway, I think I'll buy the bike. I rode a 2004 ST3 and was impressed...but not totally blown away. There's enough sport and touring capability there to complement my other street bike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oilhed said:
I was looking for a new '05 Silver in the Northeast. I only found two and bought one. If you want Silver you need to buy an '05. The only difference I've heard about (and it's not necessarily true) is that the '06 EFI uses a closed loop with an O2 sensor but the '05 does not. I have not heard any complaints about the '05 EFI so this might be just to comply with future emmisions requirements. It might not be a big deal but then again it might. Anybody know the real answer?
The new O2 system on the '06 is causing some drivability problems that DNA seems to be working on (mine included) . I would say that unless you want to upgrade to the "s" version for the suspension then you might consider the '05 .

·
Registered
31 Posts
re 2005 ST# or 2006 ST3

Jeff,
Until the EFI issues are resolved with the 2006 ST3 I would stay clear of a 2006 model. I haven't ridden a 2005 model but they seem visually very similar if not identical. If by the reports the 2005 model does not have the EFI problems that I have with my 2006 model then it would be a great buy because other than the EFI prob the bike is excellent.

Regards,

Deebee

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I had a 2005 ST3, (totaled unfortunately :( :( ) and replaced it with the 2006 ST3s.

The 2005 model definitely did not have the engine problems the 2006 model has, in fact it was very smooth - I loved it.

Certainly the upgraded suspension setup on the ST3s model makes a noticeable difference over the ST3.

Hopefully the 2006 ST3/ST3s engine problems will be resolved soon.

·
Registered
105 Posts
why so many totalled ST3 ?

I'm interested in why so many on here seem to have totalled their ST3. Was it anything to do with locking up the front wheel under hard braking???

Doc

·
Registered
31 Posts
re ST3 brake lock up

DocMV,
(don't own an Agusta or Brutale do you?) With respect to the ST3 front brakes ...... I would doubt very, very much if someone locked them (gold series, Brembo 4 individual pads per four pot caliper) front brakes up unless absolutely deliberately. They have soooooo much feedback ( I have only had 3 BMW's 4 Ducatis, and 11 Japanese bikes so maybe I haven't covered all bases wrt brakes yet). The rear brake on the other hand is a little less forthcoming in feedback but still much better than the wooden standard black two pot brembo rear calipers.
Cheers,
deebee

·
7,733 Posts
DocMV said:
I'm interested in why so many on here seem to have totalled their ST3. Was it anything to do with locking up the front wheel under hard braking???

Doc

Hmm, don't know that ST3's are crashed at any greater rate than any other bike, but maybe some contributing factors to those reported crashes might be:

- Deceptive Ducati power delivery catches new Ducati riders off guard

- Crappy (IMO) stock Michy Road Pilots increase slides

- "Grabby"-when-new frt pads with those powerful frt Brembos

Came close to binning my ST3 last year when I slid on some gravel going round a bend at 8/10's tilt, but I think the tires had something to do with it as well, (IMO, these tire do not flex/roll over anything on the road, but quickly deflect, especially the frt, the bikes line/travel) and *did* drop it in parking lot at a virtual standstill due to grabby frt brakes, (yah I know, should have been on rr pedal yadda).

·
Registered
105 Posts
deebee said:
DocMV,
(don't own an Agusta or Brutale do you?)
deebee
Yep, an MV F4SR 750..:)..and an ST3.;)

I agree the Pilot Roads are not too good ... changed to Conti Road Attacks which I find much more confidence inspiring. Also found the stock pads to be mediocre - changed to EBC HH's, and the brakes are much more responsive (and rear is now very good). Combination of different pads and tyres got rid of vibration on hard braking. I suspect that the Pilot Roads (front) was the main contributor to that.

Doc

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought a new ’05 ST3 last fall for $10,500 because I wanted silver and Ducati was doing the $1500 clearance sale promotion then. I knew that the prices on the ‘06 would be way higher. If I was buying the ST this year, I’d still go with the regular plain ST3.

DocMV said:
I agree the Pilot Roads are not too good
I dislike the tires as well, I can’t wait when their done so I can replace them, soon… I hope, I have 7,500 miles on them already.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an 05 ST3 and have been pretty pleased with the performance and reliability of my bike. The only way I would go to an 06 model is if I were buying the ST3s for the upgraded suspension.

However, since the 06's seem to be having oxygen sensor issues and to save money, I would still buy another 05 model. With the savings, I would upgrade the front suspension with a Ohlins or penske re-valve job and still save.

I did swap out the pilot roads for pilot powers for a track day. IMO, the pilot powers are definately a better performing tire. However, for true sport-touring, I didn't find the pilot roads to be bad and they last longer. Lately though, my riding has been more sport than tour. Hence the change to pilot powers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
04 ST3 and ST4 for sale

Noticed yesterday that Big Dog Motorcycles in Reno, Nevada had a new '04 ST3 (sorry dont recall price) and a new '04 ST4 ABS (I think $10.5k) for sale in their showroom.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Did my first 300+ mile day today with the ST3s. Either I'm lucky or the US bikes are set up different that the others. I had not rough running problems, backfires or surging. Now up to 1000 miles, so finally get to run with it. The Pilot Powers on it are a real step up on the Pilot Roads. Love the new suspension.

·
Registered
31 Posts
St3 2006

I have had an opportunity to do several hundred kilometres now on my 2006 ST3 with the O2 sensor disconnected and apart from a slight variation in idle speed when cold it is running very well indeed. Awesome in fact!
My ST3 has Bridgestone Battlax BT020R tyres as standard fitment and they are great. Plenty of grip (wet and dry), stable under hard braking and predictable when pushing it through the twisting roads of the Perth hills.
Cheers,
Deebee

1 - 20 of 20 Posts