Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2005 multistrada 1000s ds fuel pump issues

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  brettski 
#1 ·
Greetings from Sacramento. So this is what has been happening. My bike as been starting to have some dying out for no reason, and then when I went to start it to go to work this morning, it wouldn't start. I didnt hear the fuel pump kick on when i turned the ignition on. I went thru and check all the wires i have access to and pulled all the fuses to make sure they were good. there is fuel in the tank. The other night riding home form work, it died out on me like it was out of gas, even though i know the gas warning light comes on well before you run out of gas ( as I know first hand how many miles my bike will go before you have to push it) I was close to a gas station so i pushed it and filled it up and it only took about a gallon and a half, but started right up. So today when i got back home form work I was doing research, and trying to trouble shoot, multiple check of connections, pulling fuses, still nothing, I messed about a bit further , now i turn it on and fuel pump goes on and fires right up. on a side note, rode her on sunday 160 miles, and no issues. Any thoughts or inputs would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi Chris, I would suggest you start shopping for a fuel pump. I had a 05 multi that had the exact same symptoms and finally traced the problem to a broken wire inside the grommet where the wires go from outside the pump to the inside. The bike would suddenly die while riding and after a bit would start and run fine, but mine also died for good. The pump itself was fine but no power could get to it.

#3 ·
I have been down this road before, it took quite a while to finally find my problem. After removing the fuel pump assembly and working the wires that go through the fuel pump flange, I found the red wire was intermittent, (on the inside of the tank). If you get the bike to kill, just wiggle the bike back and forth to slosh the fuel around and the wires that were not secured from OEM will touch and you will have power to the pump again. I rode around with a multi meter for 2 hours trying to get the thing to kill and then test if there was power going to the fuel pump, this is what led to the pump removal and finding the bad wire. I also had this problem with the Mrs's Monster S2R........

Duckman wrote about this on his S2R a while back...........Of course I had it all done by the time I found the problem.

Good Luck to you.....

Uli-

#4 ·
good place to find a fuel pump

So it was working again, then stopped, again, of course it was after class and dark, but the good thing is i was able to lock it up in out bike storage. Is this something that can be fixed by taking it apart and reconnecting the wires, or would I be better off just getting a new fuel pump and replacing it. If replacing it is the way to go, whats the best place to order one?
Thanks for all your help.

#7 ·
Man, this is starting to remind me of that stripper I dated when i lived in vegas....

So got in my truck this morning to go fetch my disabled bike, turned it on and no fuel pump still, loaded it up and headed home. stopped by the local ducati shop, and went to talk to the parts dude. and to make sure the parts diagrams i have been looking at were the right ones and just to see if they had any additional info. I dont know why I do that to myself, I was already irritated enough that my bike wasn't working and that my AC in my truck decided to quit working last week as well, so I just shook my head and went to pick up a multi meter to start my test. I was actually looking forward to inventing new cus words today, but guess what happened when I turned my key on. Yup fired right up . I still checked all the connections and everything looks good and clean. I am going to wait until i can get it to do it again before I tear into the fuel pump because there is spot where the wires have been zipped tied to the other wires heading back towards the fuse blocks and a have a pretty good bend and compression in them. I have been riding around the block for 2 hours now and stopped for a sandwich and a glass of iced tea. I guess I will just wait for it to quit working again so I can pinpoint where the break in power is

#8 ·
Hi...I'm reopening this topic.
I was curious to know what the outcome was and if you were able to pinpoint the short or issue. Did you end up replacing the pump and did that solve the intermittent pump issues?

I've been having the same problem with my '04 Multi. Happened a year ago, I took out the pump assembly, pump ended up working (of course), put it all back together and didn't have a problem for about a year. It died the other day. The pump relay seemed to be "switching" fine when I turned the ignition on/off, but no pump. After walking it 6 blocks through Brooklyn traffic, I tried it again and it started/ran for 30sec and then died.

I just ordered an aftermarket pump from eBay and it should be here sometime this week.
Thanks in advance for any additional updates or additional insights the forum folks.

#9 · (Edited)
Based on the intermittent nature of the symptom, I would expect that this is 99% likelihood of an issue with the tank wiring. I just went through an identical saga with my SS800. Luckily CA Cycleworks sells a wiring kit for these bikes.

If that doesn't do it or you want to do more testing before beginning to just replace things, you will want to start checking the system components on at a time, preferably in order of ease of checking.
Let's agree that the components we are interested in checking are:
  • Source wiring (leads from fuse box to tank)
  • Tank wiring (connects the source wiring to fuel pump and goes through the tank plate assembly)
  • Fuel pump

If those are the components we are interested in, the easiest way to eliminate them is to start outside of the tank:

1. Disconnect the source wiring (A) from the tank wiring (B) and use a multimeter to check the source wiring for adequate voltage (+12V) immediately after the ignition is turned on (when you would normally expect to hear the fuel pump kick in)
    • IF measured voltage > 12V, the problem is downstream (fuel pump or tank wiring)
    • IF measured voltage < 12V, the problem is upstream (check battery, fuses, or pump relay)
  2. (assuming +12V) Remove tank plate assembly from the tank and inspect the internal tank wiring (B) harness for corrosion and the wires for damage
  3. (assuming no damage) Reconnect the source wiring (A) to the tank wiring (B) and check the tank wiring terminals at the point where the pump would normally be connected when starting the bike up as was done in step 1
    • IF measured voltage > 12V, the problem is the fuel pump
    • IF measured voltage < 12V, the problem is the tank wiring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.