Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at trading the 999 for potentially one of these. I didn't do my homework to a great extent when getting the 999 so thought I'd look here before moving on to the next one. It's currently at 27k with full Termi system (seller claims properly tuned as well) and seller states due for a service.

1. Not sure what the valve service intervals are with these yet or anything else really about them. Is there any flaking issue with these like there are with earlier models or does that not occur with this engine?

2. Every 2 years or x-thousand miles still I assume for belts.

3. Tank - Is it plastic or not? How much of a concern if plastic is this actually? If I don't ride it for a few weeks is there any precautions to take?

4. Anything to know about SSA bikes? Coming from a R6 and 999 so other than getting a specialty stand for it I assume I need a specialty tool to adjust chain slack.

5. Seller states leaky fork. I redid the forks on my 999 myself using KITB-43S SKF seals. These forks look a lot alike and will I be able to use them on here too?

6. My current pain with the 999 is that the starter clutch is toast and needs replaced. Do these motors use the same style sprag setup or are they better/worse than the standard 999?

Any tips appreciated before buying, hoping not to screw myself again by staying with a Ducati if this guy wants to go through with the trade. He's looking to get into super sport world and I'm looking to leave it.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
2005 is desmoquattro. 20,000km / 12,000miles for belts, 6,000 mile valve clearance intervals. much of the engine is the same / same-ish. should be over flaky rockers by then.

should have a steel tank, make sure it's not rusty.

get the right tool for chain adj, and a couple of sockets, the lh nut can come loose, or can be way tight.

similar forks, same seals. they have the flawed short adj forks.

not all the same starter clutch bits as a 999 i don't think, but the freewheel should be the same part. not a big deal generally. depends how much of a fucking saga you choose to make it.

nice enough bike. doesn't have the top end of the later testastretta s4r, good midrange though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi!

Pertaining the (steel)tank, they do tend to leak if mishandled in the past. There are two plates spot welded to the underside that, in turn, is spot welded to the mount. If the tank has been lifted while full of fuel, to charge the battery for example, the weight is a bit too much, the spot welds fail. It will leak. More lifts, more leaking.

Easy to check: while the bike is on the side stand, look on the low side(of course) and run your fingers under the bottom edge of the tank, near the seat. If the leak is bad, you'll see the stains on the frame.

Not a difficult fix, but a fix all the same.

Check the reg/rect. But as its already fifteen years old, its probably been done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I had an 03, (i think?) 996 S4R and it suffered flaky rockers, the tank will leak at the rear hinge if it's not supported properly on the prop and forced back too far, hard to know until it leaks though.

The std sprocket style doesn't have little shoulders for the cush drive rubbers and the rubbers can tear making the outer steel ring walk out the back of the sprocket against the eccentric, machining it away as you ride, EXPENSIVE! to fix so look at the eccentric for damage and if you buy one check your cush drive rubbers and think about fitting an aftermarket type which has the shoulders to keep them in place.

Same style starter sprag, the testas have different gearing but keeping them healthy relies on a well charged battery, constant cranking with a weak battery fucks them fast.

Great bike, as Brad says, stonking midrange, you can really get them going with SPS cams if you can find them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts