Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one to chose? Prices are similar.

2005 999S, factory race kit, 18K miles.

------OR-----

2003 999R, full exhaust, large tank, 4K miles.

Carbon fiber and forged wheels notwithstanding, I am wondering how similar these bikes are. Anybody have experience with both? I am intimately familiar with the 05 999R bikes. I have no experience with the '03 R bikes. Bike will be used for short weekend hops.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
999R w/o even thinking about it twice! I like the sand casted swinger and Ducati "racing grey" frame color.....plus all the carbon fiber, actually more cf than in the newer versions. All the extra bits you get w/ a R model...rear stand, placard, cover, etc. At 4000 miles its pratically new!

·
Registered
180 Posts
R it up!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Which one to chose? Prices are similar.

2005 999S, factory race kit, 18K miles.

------OR-----

2003 999R, full exhaust, large tank, 4K miles.

Carbon fiber and forged wheels notwithstanding, I am wondering how similar these bikes are. Anybody have experience with both? I am intimately familiar with the 05 999R bikes. I have no experience with the '03 R bikes. Bike will be used for short weekend hops.
The '05 R makes an easy 10 more HP than the '03/'04 which is basicaly a short stroke bigger bore 999S. For the same price the R sounds better and if a Fila could become colectable.

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Get the R. You could change the swing arm if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What they all said. Dave (too many motorcycles for my own good, including the recently acquired 05 999R Xerox.)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
999S, changes where made to the 999 in 05.
I think it was only the bodywork and swingarm that changed on the R. Engine still the deep sump...right?

Anyway, R u sure you don't want the R? R..ight? R...let me think...R u getting this? :D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get the R, btw how much are they asking
They want $13 for the 2003 R. It's very nice. I have not yet ridden it or pulled off the side panels. There's some very light scratches and fingerprints that will polish out. The exhaust is wrapped so the lower fairing area is not damaged from heat.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it was only the bodywork and swingarm that changed on the R. Engine still the deep sump...right?

Anyway, R u sure you don't want the R? R..ight? R...let me think...R u getting this? :D

Yeah, yeah, yeah........damn R bikes anyway. The things are just plain gorgeous. Frankly, Ducati has not built a bike as nice as this since the last 999R.

I've tried to get a parts breakdown of the 2003 999R, but the Ducati site does not offer this. I wanted to compare the valves/cams and a few of the motor parts with the 2005 999s bikes.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah........damn R bikes anyway. The things are just plain gorgeous. Frankly, Ducati has not built a bike as nice as this since the last 999R.

I've tried to get a parts breakdown of the 2003 999R, but the Ducati site does not offer this. I wanted to compare the valves/cams and a few of the motor parts with the 2005 999s bikes.
Yep, those magnesium touches and c/f panels totally rock...and the forged wheels! I don't think the S had those either...not positive.

·
Registered
605 Posts
13K for the R is a decent price. In the long run, I think you will find that the R bikes, any of them, will retain more of their value and will always be an easier sell if you decide to do so at a later date. Dave

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
13K for the R is a decent price. In the long run, I think you will find that the R bikes, any of them, will retain more of their value and will always be an easier sell if you decide to do so at a later date. Dave
I think you are right about that, and $13K does not appear to be out of line. Thanks for the input - all of you.

Pleasant Prairie - I know some people that work for Alfa Laval in Pleasant Prairie. Nice Folks there.

Larry

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had wanted a 05/06 999S but when my 03 999R appeared out of the blue I jumped through hoops of fire to buy it straight away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts