Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local for sale ad shows a red xerox 999r with CF fairings, magnesium cylinder heads, ohlins front and back with termi fs exhuast.
Bike looks legit (no pic of number plate on triple) but it has a black frame.
I have never seen a black framed 999r sbk.
I'm thinking this is likely a Black 999s that someone put some 999r fairings on.
Before I waste my time on travel to see the bike firsthand, thought I'd ask the expert Ducati community what their thoughts are.
Were there any black framed 99r's made?
Owner will send me VIN. Any idea where to run to VIN to verify exact model?

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I've never seen one either. My Xerox has a red frame. The VIN will definitely tell a lot. There are a lot of places to check (google Ducati VIN decoder) but the best way is to email Ducati themselves.

Reactions: chill

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen one either. My Xerox has a red frame. The VIN will definitely tell a lot. There are a lot of places to check (google Ducati VIN decoder) but the best way is to email Ducati themselves.
Forgot to mention seller says black frame came on "european" version only.

Thanks for the quick reply Sherpa.

·
Super Moderator
1,257 Posts
No black frames on R models. Easy to check if the frame is an R - they only have two positions for rearsets while other 999 variants have five.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Forgot to mention seller says black frame came on "european" version only.

Thanks for the quick reply Sherpa.
Hmmm. Sounds highly questionable to me but what do I know. The best way is to get a pic of the VIN on the black frame and email Ducati.

Another possibility is that someone repainted the red frame to black for some unknown reason.

Reactions: chill

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Hmm, first time at the track I saw a black 999R. Looked original, though in well crashed condition. This is over 10 years ago. French guy. May have been on an S and said he had an R. Black everything w/ white trim.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
All Xerox are one year only, all hAve red frames and all are numbered. They also have black anodized front forks. So right out of the gate a black frame 999r Xerox is a lie. They did make gloss black body work and gloss black frame on the s model. Have to find my r manual so see if an R was ever offered with black frame but I don't recall that as true. Owners manual has the info in section E under the Avialable colors right after the suspension specs

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
No black frames on R models. Easy to check if the frame is an R - they only have two positions for rearsets while other 999 variants have five.
I scrolled right past this. This is brilliant, great way to tell R frame ! Thread ended :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked it up...
Yep, that's the one.
Thanks for input everyone.
I passed on the bike given info and after finally receiving VIN.
Decoder identified bike as an S model.

Current owner doesn't know much of anything about the bike's history.
By his own admission he's not very knowledgeable about MC's in general.
Sounds like a nice enough guy over the phone and once I spoke with him he offered pics of bike by text.

Whoever owned the bike prior went through the trouble of changing color of front fairing stay and cylinder heads
to the gold magnesium color. Not sure if magnesium is legit or just a powder coat job.

Bike is listed at 6999 and owner sounds like he's willing to negotiate lower.
Not bad for an S model, but given sketchy history details I won't entertain it.

Again, thanks to everyone that had some input.
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ducati-999r/6580764720.html

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts