Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my 749s won't start.
-fuel not priming when you turn the key on.

Woke up saturday morning to go riding.
Bike started right up first time out.
while warming up the bike, I put on helmet and gloves. Right when I was about to saddle up the bike died. It was like the bike was in need of gas right when it died out. Tried restarting and just cranks over but no start. This happened to me a couple weeks back and was able to start it up a couple of tries later. I thought it was the battery then so this time i went out and bought a new one. Bike started after i put on the battery.

I decided to take it for a ride. So off I went to Angeles Crest to meet up with some friends at Nukes. When it was time to go, The bike started right up. about a a hundred yards the bikes had no throttle response and motor died out. We decided to push it back to Nukes and tried fixing it. Couple of good folks helped out a lot. Notice that the fuel wasn't priming when you turn the ignition to ON. No familiar sound of that whirring noise that indicates that the fuel pump primed it out. after 2.5 hours of messing around with it with the battery off the bike started to prime up and started. Off i went home.

Sunday I started to think it was the Fuel pump relay as this was a common for the 916/96/98 series from what i was told. I got a new one and installed it.Started her up and everything was ok. Tried turning on and off the igniton just to see if the fuel pump primes. While the bike was warming up the bike died again and won't start. again no "whirring" sound when you turn the key to ON position. I NEED HELP BAD. any other ideas what I could do?

Changed after problems started to happen
-New Battery
-Fuel pump relay

Weird
-after a day or two, the fuel primes when you turn the key on
-no throttle response and dies out

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
quick update.
Wanted to see what mood the DUC is in today. poped the key in to ON and low and behold the fuels primed up and the bike starts on the first try. I didn't ride it only because I didn't feel like pushing the bike home again after a 4 block ride.

So, anyone out there know what's going on here? C'mon people. There's quite a lot of 999/749 geniuses around here. I know that just by reading posts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, it seems like you've isolated the issue to the fuel pump and related wiring. Disassemble and check all electrical connections related to this.

I had this issue and replaced relays and reseated everything until it went away. I don't remember what the final fix was since it was like 5-7 years ago. Relay I think. You might end up having to pull the fuel pump and test/swap it... I've never worked on a 749, but that really sucks to do on the Desmoquattro bikes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
How many miles on the bike? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Sounds like your pump is going bad. It will overheat then after 2 hours of cooling down it will go. I had the same problem on my F4i. Before you go buying a pump, check the wiring and the pump connection. There was another post on here over the weekend where the wires were coming out of the connector. It may turn into a quick fix.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellows. Bike has 13k and filter have never been changed I don't think. At least not by me.
So OK.....I didn't know the pump overheats after a while. That could be the culprit. I'm going to go ahead and check and reseat everything just to make sure before shelling out the dough for a new pump.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The fuel filter should be changed every 6,000 miles by ducati rules. Check around for fuel pumps on ebay and Gotham Cycles. Gotham test and check everything they sell so you will be getting a good part for a reasonable price.
Sorry your having problems and cant ride. Sometimes i cant even sleep at night, knowing my bike needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sour Orange, where did you land on this? I had similar issue today on a ride and it turned out to be a broken (not blown, but actually broken and functioning only intermittently) fuse. Put in a new fuse, and the pump sounds stronger and louder when the key is engaged. I also noticed that the power wire sheathing where it bends under the tank and up into the pump has been damaged by friction of the bottom edge of the pump housing. I'll be padding that and taping the wire before I do short it out and blow a fuse...

Learning how to be prepared with these bikes is half the challenge I think...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you serious? didn't even know that could happen. if i did I would have done that first. I finally gave up and took it to the dealer and covered it under extended warranty. They said it was the whole fuel pump assy:think:.
If that was the case, Cool but if it was just the fuse malfunctioning then the dealer just came up with an $800 profit. i will never know. Consolation was that the dealer was OK and was not so much of a jerk when presenting a bike with an extended service contract.
People always ak me why i thinker with it when it has an extended warranty and I always reply with I like what makes my bike tick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts