Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
for the same amount of money I have the option of purchasing one of the following track bikes. a 2005 749s with BST wheels or a standard 848
would anyone be able to advise me on what option they would take on the above 2 setups and why ?
much appreciated
Dominic

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
What are the prices? I may be biased, but I'd go for the 749; especially with the BST's. The 848 is a fine bike (not turning this into xx9 vs. 848 thread) but, IMO, the adjustablility of the 749s gives the advantage in this case. Plus, I like the revvier nature of the 749 vs. 848. The BST's are the icing on the cake, the 749 will turn better with less investment than the 848.

To get the best of the 848, you need to get some new triple clamps and re-work the suspension. The 749 may need some new springs, but if the previous owner put on those wheels, he/she may have already re-sprung the bike already. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou for your reply
Price will be 18500 AUD
only mod on 749s is the BST wheels
cheers
Dom

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
thankyou for your reply
Price will be 18500 AUD
only mod on 749s is the BST wheels
cheers
Dom
How is that price in relation to comparable 848's and 749s' on the market? I mean, both are fine bikes, but you should consider the price of the the BST upgrade to be roughly 50% of what the wheels would cost new. What I'm trying to say is: don't break the bank for the sake of the wheels.

·
9,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
The 848 is newer, has longer service intervals, and is much faster.

I'd even say the 848 steers faster than the 749s (even with BST's) since it is so much lighter... plus, the stock 848 wheels aren't exactly boat anchors either.

IMO the 848's advantages make it a more reliable and fun track toy.
Definitely agree.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The 848 is newer, has longer service intervals, and is much faster.

I'd even say the 848 steers faster than the 749s (even with BST's) since it is so much lighter... plus, the stock 848 wheels aren't exactly boat anchors either.

IMO the 848's advantages make it a more reliable and fun track toy.
The extended service intervals of the 848 are somewhat of a marketing ploy... the 04+ 749s' have tapered collets like the 749R/848. The 848 also has a longer stroke making piston speeds higher... not good for high-rpm reliability.

In my experience, the 749 can be made to handle better than the 848 with less investment. Yes, the 848 is lighter, but not by the margin that Ducati's marketing suggests.

In any case, here in the U.S. you can get some serious bargains on 749's which make them an attractive choice; if you were to find an 848 for the same price of a 749 that would be a no-brainer deal. A 749s in the 848 price range, however, is questionable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts