Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, not suppose to go riding, but needed to know what the new bike is all about...
Did a 350 mile on my new to me my 2005 100DS Multistrada. First I noticed the engine temp gauge was moving all around from 175 degrees to 180 to 189 back to 167 for the first 150 miles. Thinking this was the engine case temp, I was starting to get worry & was ready to call the wife and get the trailer and come pick me up. Next gas fill up I checked for oil leaks, loose wire etc and found nothing, so I rode on. Maybe it was not a good idea, but I went for it.
On the way back home, I figured out that it was for the oil temp not engine temp. With that being said, the gauge went to low, back to 150 degrees, back to 205 back to 176 and so on. Is my sensor going bad or is it the dash giving up the ghost?
Is it just a easy replacement of the sensor? Where is this sensor? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi there, not sure about the air-cooled Multis like yours, but on the water-cooled like mine it's very common.

The faster and longer you go the lower the reading, the more stop n' go the higher it gets. Stop for 2 minutes on a red light and it easily passes 200º, move non-stop for about 0.5 mile on 3rd gear and about 35-40mph and will go down to the 180's, stop again on a light and up it goes again.... On a highway it should stabilize around the 160-170º, at least mine stays around that when cruising at around 80-90mph.

But again, my experience is with with the water-cooled.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, not sure about the air-cooled Multis like yours, but on the water-cooled like mine it's very common.

The faster and longer you go the lower the reading, the more stop n' go the higher it gets. Stop for 2 minutes on a red light and it easily passes 200º, move non-stop for about 0.5 mile on 3rd gear and about 35-40mph and will go down to the 180's, stop again on a light and up it goes again.... On a highway it should stabilize around the 160-170º, at least mine stays around that when cruising at around 80-90mph.

But again, my experience is with with the water-cooled.
Ok maybe I did not explain the issue correctly for my air-cooled motor...
The digital gauge is all over the place, at highway speed it is at say going 75 mph, the oil temp is 188 degree, then it changes to 165 then back to 188 then 195 then back to 188. It is never at a constant number for any length of time. Yes when I stop at a light or a going around town, it does increase, but it seems on highway running it is bouncing all over the place and not out one specific degree, like my S4RS or the ST3 is working out. But there is a difference, the S4RS or the ST3 is reading the water temp and not the oil temp.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok maybe I did not explain the issue correctly for my air-cooled motor...
The digital gauge is all over the place, at highway speed it is at say going 75 mph, the oil temp is 188 degree, then it changes to 165 then back to 188 then 195 then back to 188. It is never at a constant number for any length of time. Yes when I stop at a light or a going around town, it does increase, but it seems on highway running it is bouncing all over the place and not out one specific degree, like my S4RS or the ST3 is working out. But there is a difference, the S4RS or the ST3 is reading the water temp and not the oil temp.
Got it.
I don't see such high variations while in constant highway speed, nor have ever experience the air-cooled, but I'd say in this case it doesn't look very normal. The fact that it continues to run without any problem and no leaks are visible are a good sign.
Let's wait for the more experienced forum members to chime in!

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it.
I don't see such high variations while in constant highway speed, nor have ever experience the air-cooled, but I'd say in this case it doesn't look very normal. The fact that it continues to run without any problem and no leaks are visible are a good sign.
Let's wait for the more experienced forum members to chime in!
Did a little looking around, sounds like the Thermistor, part number 55210452A is the problem with the dash reading the correct oil temp. The part is $72.43, now to see if Napa can cross that part...

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After looking at this site and other internet searches, it looks like this thermistor is a problem for many 2 valve Ducatis.
I took the nose piece off and found the oil cooler and the thermistor. Pulled the rubber cover away and it appears that the connector was a wee loose. Crimped the connector some and I will check it out on a ride.
It looks if I do my home work, maybe Napa may have a part available, if needed. Seems a little crazy to spend $70 for the OEM part, as others said on this site before.

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
333 Posts
Keep updating us as necessary! I love the information.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went for a ride this weekend and the oil temp gauge is working fine. The connector was loose on the contact point of the thermistor, I just crimped the connector a bit more & it worked! I did notice temps of between 175 degrees up to 220 degrees when riding. Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Went for a ride this weekend and the oil temp gauge is working fine. The connector was loose on the contact point of the thermistor, I just crimped the connector a bit more & it worked! I did notice temps of between 175 degrees up to 220 degrees when riding. Does that sound correct?
That's where mine normally stays. Highway at around 160-170, bumper to bumper in the city north of 200-210ºF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts