Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been updating my ST3 during Covid and was wondering if some sort of tune would be beneficial. When I bought the bike 10 years ago it came with a Termi exhaust. Would one use a PC or something else to dyno tune an ST? Not sure if it is worth it or even if PC or Teclusion still make a product for the ST.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
381 Posts
Did bike come with the open air box & DP ECU ? .... those 3 components made up the DP performance kit , which were added to many ST3 bikes

·
Super Moderator
5,019 Posts
Pretty much unobtanium. But, the open air box mod is simple, just drill in a bunch of 2 inch holes and presto...open air box. The ECU can be reflashed with the proper map for the modifications. You can send it out for a reflash, or, if you're brave, you can read all about doing it yourself. There are numerous posts on this forum addressing map replacements.

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s
381 Posts
Thanks for completing my lacklustre response , I was sort of in the middle of something else and really should not have provided incomplete info !

·
Registered
18 Posts
A few years ago I sold my 2002 ST2, which was all stock. This week I bought a 2006 ST3 which has the ducati carbon fiber mufflers, an open airbox with a performance filter, and the Ducati Performance ECU.
The major thing that I noticed was the sound of the air box when opening the throttle. I was quite surprised how loud it was. It literally sounds like a pig grunting, and it even drowns out the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
When I'm blowing past a car (or farm inplement!), I wait 'till I'm next to their window, and THEN go WFO. What a blast!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
BTW, I have a PC III that fit the ST4s. It basically plugs "in series" with the injectors, and in series with the TPS.
I believe it was for an S4r, but it plugged right into the ST. I'd be asking $100. Lemme know...

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can download the DP map and flash your existing ECU or there are some online for about 500 bucks IIRC. Or download a DP map and flash your ECU with that map.

My ST3 came with the full DP carbon pipes, lidless airbox and DP ECU and I plan on putting it on a dyno soon to see how the fueling looks.

A good place to start is a dyno run with Air:fuel to see if it's lean at certain spots, which they tend to be. You can use a PC or other piggyback system but might be better just tweaking the existing map if your dyno guy has that capability in house.

DIY map changes are always going to be risky if you don't have experience with the software and running a bike on the dyno to remap it, but it can be done.

For me what makes sense is to take it for a baseline run and see what the data says. If it all looks good and runs cleanly at all revs, leave it alone and paste the dyno curve into your records. if the dyno guy is good and can tweak the fuel map, I'd do that IF it needs it.

You might also want to do the simple things forst like a service and new plugs and check valve timing. Advancing or retarding teh cams makes a difference to the power curve. Brad the Bike Boy included notes on that in his blog IIRC.

As a gross simplification, advancing cam timing makes more low end to mid range and retarding cam timing tends to enhance the top end at the cost of low down.

Make the most out of what you've got.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts