Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 ST3 will not start. It has been sitting covered in a garage for one month on a battery tender and working perfectly the last time I went for a ride. Today lights, indicators, fuel pump, dash lights work but no ignition. I have checked the usual like side stand, kill switch, but apart from the above and a faint click near the solenoid nothing is happening. Initially the OEBD light was off, but after repeated attempts to start the bike it came on and stayed on. All the fuses near the dash check out ok. Pressing down on the A button and turning the key gives an error code EFI error code 5.2. I will be pulling off the fairing to check all connections and replacing the battery but would appreciate any clues as to what to investigate. Does anyone know where I can find the meaning behind the error code?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for supplying the codes. I am assuming that they are generic. Looks like I have a charging or battery issue and will source a replacement. The fairings are off and I am checking all connections.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked all connections and they seem solid. Originally I got all dash lights, lights , indicators then after repeat attempts the EOBD light stayed on. The error code I got was error 5.2 and checking the list of codes helpfully supplied it indicated a low battery which would make sense with a battery which may be on the way out, and getting drained by repeat start attempts, finally not having enough juice to allow ignition. I read somewhere that another start issue was solved by pulling out the main connector from the dash then reinserting. I did this and making sure I had a full charge..battery giving 13.4V tried again. Turning the key caused rumbling from the dash then about 4 seconds of pulsations before settling...not the usual start up. But miraculously the bike started! I am going to replace the battery as a precaution. I think a 2 years service life is low but I don't want to be caught out again. After this the regulator contacts will get a clean also. There is always the shadow of unreliability with the bike. Vexing, but I enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up regarding the noise. I thought there might be another issue with the dash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts