Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 Tre has been ridden less than 60 miles since January. There's 12K on the odo since I bought it new. On Saturday, I rode it 3.2 miles on city streets to a gas station and back preparing it to ride on Monday. Once on the center stand at home, I discovered the sight glass was fully covered with cappuccino-colored milkiness. Ouch. Unfortunately, I didn't check before riding so I don't know if the coolant was already there.
I drained the crankcase and found coolant mixed with the oil. I haven't opened the radiator but the catch tank had just one inch of coolant left. That short trip barely got the temp gauge to normal 150 degrees.
The oil in the motor has been there about a year but had less than 400 miles on it. The bike is immaculate, never abused and has never had a temp issue.
I'm curious as to whether coolant can possibly leak down into the motor without a head gasket failure during the time it sits unused. O-rings? Water pump? Local shop can't see me for 4 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
Quite often, that cappuccino-colored milkiness on the sight glass disappears once the engine gets to operating temperature. But, you drained the oil and found coolant...so that may be just more than some residual moisture. By any chance, did you save the oil in a clear jug? can you see a separation of the oil and water?

Did you replace the oil? Run it up to operating temp and see if the moisture is still there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.
I saved a pint of oil in a jar, the rest is already mixed in my 5 gal recycle jug. I don't believe the oil is residual moisture since the sight glass was over the top for volume (overfilled) and the oil is like homogenized salad dressing, very milky. I know the regular sight glass color and it alarmed me enough to drop the plug and drain.
After 30 hours, there's been no separation. Also, the catch bottle is nearly dry, The coolant had to go somewhere. That's what concerns me most. A full service was done 12 months ago with very little driving since (less than 400 miles) so the coolant was fresh and up to spec for volume.
I have fresh oil/filter but I'm not adding them or running the motor until I get an assessment from the shop.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sounds like the water pump seal. I had to replace the one on my 996 shortly after I got it.

Not horribly difficult to do. Usually caused by use of coolant containing silicates and borites.

Hope that helps......and you don’t have anything more catastrophic than that to deal with.

Reactions: ducvet

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I am with them check the pump seal. Most of the time I get coolant (not condensation) in the oil it is pump seal. Head gasket leaks usually put oil in the coolant from what i have seen so that is less likely. A frozen/cracked cylinder will also put coolant in the oil but unless you are running straight water and froze it that would be pretty unlikely

·
Mr Leakered
8,813 Posts
I had oil / coolant going in both directions. I tried the head gaskets because that was familiar territory. I still had foamy oil in the sight glass in the summer and a few drops of oil in the coolant and a ring around the overflow bottle. The ring / residue appears impossible to clean up safely? I honestly have no idea how that could happen, but it looked plausible when pulling the seal apart as it was loaded with oil.

So, I hit the impeller seal. It was a real bitch because whoever was in the left side cover last (replacement motor), used both a gasket (yeah!) and threebond (sheesh!). It took an afternoon carefully scraping it all off. Then, I found that I had somehow ordered the wrong impeller seal. IMVHO, getting that retaining ring out was a beyotch. Since the seal took over a month to get here, I tossed in my old one with 84k on it and it has been marinating in the crawlspace for 5yrs. Hahahaha!

So far, no foamy oil in the sight glass. Too early to tell on the coolant.

Have a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts